Amplitube 5

The thing that puzzles me most about this, is that this info should be a fundamental part of the modeling process, and thus not hard at all to find & report.

How the fook are IK and other plugin vendors building their models if they don’t know how it ingests input levels in the digital domain?

Are they using some kind of 3rd-party circuit simulation software where they just throw a bunch of schematics into it and don’t know how it works outside of that? :idk

At least we know that the heavy-hitters in the amp modeling world ARE taking this into account and understand it. Probably no coincidence that those same companies have the most accurate emulations.

The thing that puzzles me most about this, is that this info should be a fundamental part of the modeling process, and thus not hard at all to find & report.
It’s obvious that they operate in a very compartmentalized fashion. Kind of like when you ask the kid a Home Depot a question and he replies that it’s not his department.

I’ll take someone like Fractal or Line6 where the majority of everyone just kind of knows what’s going on over that any day.

How the fook are IK and other plugin vendors building their models if they don’t know how it ingests input levels in the digital domain?

Are they using some kind of 3rd-party circuit simulation software where they just throw a bunch of schematics into it and don’t know how it works outside of that? :idk

At least we know that the heavy-hitters in the amp modeling world ARE taking this into account and understand it. Probably no coincidence that those same companies have the most accurate emulations.
Bang on.

There’s some weird miscommunication within IK, it just seems like an oddly run company. I think they have great developers on board who are very capable of doing amazing work.

On the flip side, they don’t really care about customer experience at all. Customers are treated like they are problematic pests.

Trying my best to invite some help from anyone I can who’s publicly facing at IK for help. If they don’t want to step in then I might as well try, maybe then it saves someone else the bother. It’s not that it takes that long to make a guess, but there is no verification or accuracy to it so all it can do is give a very rough idea of what to expect.

I do think it’s important existing and future IK customers are able to what the user experience is like, so they can make their own decisions when the next products are released. If I give up then others will run into the same bullshit and Sadites will write another essay. NOBODY WANTS THAT.

HE WILL ABSOLUTELY ERUPT AT LOADS MORE PEOPLE

publicly facing at IK for help
Our support team can answer questions. If they don't answer them to your satisfaction, reply and let them know. You can see from comments here why most companies avoid third-party forums like the plague... And in this case you can get a more direct line to the dev's thoughts by going through the support team. I've stated this elsewhere, and you can also see that people mock any of my replies before so you can go direct to the support team.

I'll suggest that the team creates a gain staging in AT5 / gain staging 101 video, though.

Our support team can answer questions. If they don't answer them to your satisfaction, reply and let them know. You can see from comments here why most companies avoid third-party forums like the plague... And in this case you can get a more direct line to the dev's thoughts by going through the support team. I've stated this elsewhere, and you can also see that people mock any of my replies before so you can go direct to the support team.

I'll suggest that the team creates a gain staging in AT5 / gain staging 101 video, though.
I do appreciate the response and acknowledgement of users who are keen to know more about this.

Just to be clear, I have repeatedly asked support for more information and it’s hard to get any further than “turn it up for more gain, turn it down for less”. They recommended I ask in forums, and forums are a good place to turn when other users may be able to help. I still have an open ticket, and I’m waiting for a response. I have faith they’ll come good on it, even if it has been nearly a week since I last heard anything. Many people have told me not to bother, or not to expect a response so at times it feels a bit mad to persevere. That might be something worth exploring as a company, it’s probably not an ideal situation for customers to have lost faith like that.

There is nothing to be afraid of in forums, you have some of your most vocal and passionate customers here and it’s a fantastic way to strengthen that relationship. I appreciate that you may not have as much to offer as DI or Cliff as far as technical knowledge but it’s a good platform to share knowledge and information that users may not have had access to. They provide interesting insight, opinions etc and I think they reap the rewards.

My hope is that:

- Support will give me an excellent and detailed response, and possibly even some guidance on how I can get the exact gain response as intended.
- (hopefully) you are able to share that information yourself too, it’s the first step in using amp sim software and can make or break someone’s first impressions. It’s an IDEAL area to help users, you can lead the way.
- a youtube video on the topic showing “here’s a quick way, here is a more advanced but accurate way”
- updating the manual for more information and guidance on input levels, why it matters, why it needs accounting for in the first place etc

I’d be over the moon with just simple but clear and concise information: “this model requires this headroom”. The more detailed discussion can come later, but just clear and basic information (ideally accessible to everyone but of course I’ll share what I can) would be a great start. I don’t think it’s a topic that actually needs much discussion, in an ideal world every company could just link to a webpage that has all the necessary information and the conversation is complete.

IMG_1436.png

We know how to gain stage.

We want reference levels in dBu for the amps; either a standard reference level, or individual reference levels for each amp if they do indeed differ.

Please send this question/request to the developers and the DSP wizard gurus.

If the dev/engineering team needs a specific example of exactly what we’re seeking, it’s this (taken from one of your competitors’ products). Thanks much for your help. I know you’re just the messenger and aren’t responsible for the things you get blamed for. Having this info would help users get more realistic results from Amplitube.

IMG_8590.png

just bumping this.

I've been messaging support for weeks over what should be a straightforward question. Its been 3 weeks since I've heard anything, I've sent friendly reminders just to see if there is any update and not even an acknowledgement. Its hard to say that I get the impression anyone at IK cares about this given the lack of enthusiasm from anyone I've dealt with. Do you think this is how competent plugin manufacturers operate? How long should a question like this take to get a reply?

Is there one person who can step forward from IK and just answer this in depth and get it sorted once and for all?

We know how to gain stage.

We want reference levels in dBu for the amps; either a standard reference level, or individual reference levels for each amp if they do indeed differ.

Please send this question/request to the developers and the DSP wizard gurus.
It is a pretty clear request at this point. I've spelled it out in black and white, as have others.

If IK don't want to offer this information, or can't offer this information because they don't know how, then just say so. But gaslighting people into going to the support team who just ignore requests like this and lock threads on the official forums, just isn't a good look at all.

I am a heavy Amplitube user and it really doesn't affect me. I just adjust input and output knobs as needed to get whatever sounds good to my ears.

However, if IKM were so kind to provide such info, it would be greatly welcomed and would be an interesting read for me.

posted on a QC thread comparing the TMP Fender’s to QC. Thought it might be interesting to stack up Amplitube’s officially endorsed versions too as IMO it’s the most complete collection of Fender emulations out there.

IK:

• '57 Champ
  • '57 Deluxe
  • '59 Bassman LTD
  • '64 Vibroverb Custom
  • '65 Deluxe Reverb
  • '65 Princeton
  • '65 Twin Reverb
  • Bassman 300
  • Champion 600
  • MH-500 Metalhead
  • Pro Junior
  • Super-Sonic
  • TBP-1
  • Vibro-King
  • ’57 Custom Twin-Amp™
  • ’57 Custom Pro-Amp
  • ’57 Custom Deluxe™
  • ’57 Custom Champ®
  • ’57 Bandmaster™
  • ’53 Bassman®
  • ’65 Super Reverb®
As well as 21 cabs with lots of mics and FX etc.

TMP is:
  • Fender '59 Bassman® (Combo, Head)
  • Fender '65 Princeton® Reverb (Combo, Head)
  • Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb® (Combo, Head)
  • Fender '65 Twin Reverb® (Combo, Head)
  • Fender '65 Super Reverb® (Combo, Head)
  • Fender Vibro-King® (Combo, Head)
  • Fender Blues Junior™ (Combo, Head)
  • Fender Bassbreaker™ (Combo, Head)

So aside from Blues Jnr and Bass Breaker, there’s a lot of crossover. Quite interested to know how they compare.

IIRC IK Fender’s need something in the ballpark of 1V=0dBFS or maybe even -3dBu or -6dBu=0dBFS but I have no idea. With a hotter input signal they definitely seem more alive and correct.

IK's Fender amps are surprisingly decent I think. Not convinced by anything I've heard from TMP.

IK's Fender amps are surprisingly decent I think. Not convinced by anything I've heard from TMP.
The whole input level thing transformed them for me and the cabs are all things I don’t own so I appreciate the different options. UA’s Fender Deluxe is excellent too, but when I compared to Helix’s they were basically neck and neck so it didn’t seem worth it

Helix has:

with the caveats that you don’t have the full UI, different channels in the same amp model, or reverb/trem in the amp model.

Back