A Tale Of Two MIJ LP’s (Update- They’re heeeeeere)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

Excellent call, and choice. I am all about having a complete arsenal versus redundancy. Nothing
wrong with having multiples, but having a stocked tone stable means you'll seldom get bored,
will always have the right tool for the occasion, and can find inspiration in a multitude of ways! :beer

Exactly! I’m probably going to remain a bit redundant in the next few months with LP’s; I still reaaaallly want an Edwards LPC (that’ll most likely get EMG’s) and there’s no way I’m not getting the Jones Epi, but after that I’ll move onto a Tele then I’ve really got everything covered, until I’m older and suddenly feel the desire to get a 335. :ROFLMAO:
We'll have to have a chat about the Zebra Pups, though. :LOL:

Hahahaha I just love the way they look, black/cream ones, not the bright white/black ones. I heard a couple comparisons of LP’s with the covers on and off the pickups, in almost every situation I preferred the sound of the covers off. I dig the look of them and am thinking about keeping it on the neck pickup.

I gotta start listening to pickup shootouts. I hate this, because I get optionitis big time.

I’m playing down in Key West again on January 25th . . . :p

That’s probably too far south though, lol.

Hahaha yep, about 4 hours. Which is crazy, because you already feel like you’re quite South being in Ft. Lauderdale. It’s just like driving north out of Florida, you drive for hours and realize you still have hours to go.

Hahaha yep, about 4 hours. Which is crazy, because you already feel like you’re quite South being in Ft. Lauderdale. It’s just like driving north out of Florida, you drive for hours and realize you still have hours to go.
Yeah, Florida's a looonnnggg state. I remember as a kid driving from MD to Miami with my parents and sister ("he's on my side!") and seeing how many more miles we still had to drive after entering the sunshine state. It was torture. (Except for when my sister said the F-word, and my old man pulled the car over on I-95 and busted her ass. It was all I could do to not laugh!)

I gotta start listening to pickup shootouts. I hate this, because I get optionitis big time.

Face it, you're fucked. :LOL:

I don't really do that anymore. Dove headfirst into that rabbithole many times and realized
Duncan/Dimarzio can get me 99% of the way there with less prevarication and paralytic
overanalysis.

I will be waiting for Andy Eagle to yell, "Throbak!" in your face at some point, though. :LOL:

Face it, you're f****d. :LOL:

I don't really do that anymore. Dove headfirst into that rabbithole many times and realized
Duncan/Dimarzio can get me 99% of the way there with less prevarication and paralytic
overanalysis.

I will be waiting for Andy Eagle to yell, "Throbak!" in your face at some point, though. :LOL:

I snagged a Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup, I’ll start here and see if I dig it. If I dig it right away, it’ll probably stay there. I want to try to stock neck pickup first. I’m generally good with pickups and not going crazy with them, once I find something that sounds good I stick with it. I’m the worst tone chaser ever.

There's always somebody who's got it worse than you.

Oh for sure, I don’t really chase it at all. :rofl

I dunno if I got lucky and all my guitars sound how I expected/wanted them to, or I’m just a deaf bastard and can’t hear all the bad tone around me.

Yeah, Florida's a looonnnggg state. I remember as a kid driving from MD to Miami with my parents and sister ("he's on my side!") and seeing how many more miles we still had to drive after entering the sunshine state. It was torture. (Except for when my sister said the F-word, and my old man pulled the car over on I-95 and busted her ass. It was all I could do to not laugh!)

We drove down last time, the worst is the drive from the last tip of the "mainland" to actual Key West. It's a 35 and 45 mph road in some stretches, with patrol cars every other mile it seems, so you have to drive at a solid 35-40, and it literally takes about 2 hours from the reservoir tip, to Key West.

I'm flying in and out this time.

We drove down last time, the worst is the drive from the last tip of the "mainland" to actual Key West. It's a 35 and 45 mph road in some stretches, with patrol cars every other mile it seems, so you have to drive at a solid 35-40, and it literally takes about 2 hours from the reservoir tip, to Key West.

I'm flying in and out this time.

Reservoir tip :rofl :rofl

What's the sitch? :hmm
:idk

Don't leave us all hanging.

C71679BE-710F-4AF5-B40B-2EC71D499BC3.jpeg

It showed up 5 minutes before I got home from work, perfect timing and it just worked out that my buddy Nacho’s trip got cancelled so he could wait here to sign. The tracker wasn’t updated until around 4:45AM when it finally said it was moving again.

I can’t believe this thing is 25 years old. I’ll definitely take care of this thing a bit more than I generally do my guitars while I own it. Original owner had the action so low I couldn’t play it, that’s the 2nd guitar in a row I’ve gotten where the action was as low as possible before buzzing would come into play and I gotta say, both those guys did a pretty damn good job because that action was LOW. I took all the strings off and did my usual; polished the frets, oiled the neck, waxed the body, set it up/intonation, etc. Intonation was already dead on.

B193BCFD-093B-48D0-8D80-B3DDE6C05DC5.jpeg

One thing that REALLY surprised me was when tuning it, the needle does not jerk back and forth, whatever it’s tuned to the note stays right there, completely unwavering. I’ve never seen any guitar do that. You get that initial movement when you first hit the string then it stops moving. That’s pretty cool!

If you blindfolded me and swapped between this and a Gibson, I’d never know the difference. This thing feels on par and in some cases, better than any Gibson I’ve ever played. The fit and finish is flawless, I can’t find a single imperfection on this and it feels just as tough as any Gibson I’ve ever played. I’ve played a few Standards that definitely did not feel this well put together.

Gripes-

Frets are tiny. They aren’t worn at all and the overall condition of this guitar tells me it wasn’t played a whole lot, so I wouldn’t think it’s been filed/crowned over the years. These look factory installed and untouched. Not as low as a fretless wonder, but not far from it.

Pickups are very bleh, but I was expecting that because I read the stock pickups weren’t so great. Dialing in a Marshall with them it just sounded like ‘generic humbucker/Marshall’ Exactly why I got the Aldrich for it, which I think is going to look pretty slick as well.

B623F092-0B11-4C0A-A43F-C018DCB54824.jpeg

I almost attempted to change the pickup, but I need to make a new thread because I’m a moron with pickups, especially with the wiring in a Les Paul. What exists in there is nothing like what’s going in, as far as the wires go and I don’t want to f*ck it up or it’ll sit there unplayed until I have the desire to torture myself again.

Initially, I didn’t like the way it played. It’s not that IT plays bad, but I can’t play on this like I do my other guitars, which should be fairly obvious because it’s an entirely different guitar than my other ones. I had to adjust my playing when I started playing Strats again, so I’ll give it a little bit first. Neck if a comfy thickness, I was worried it was going to be slimmer than I wanted but no complaints there at all. Really nice piece of rosewood for the fingerboard as well.

Going to make a thread about the pickups and then I’m off to learn some Les Paul tunes!

Oh yeah, I’ve never seen a tweed LP case before, this is pretty nice!
68B8AE07-13EF-41E4-82F8-8C5AE64F4700.jpeg

4E9F410F-F122-4A46-9514-CE8365BB0381.jpeg

View attachment 3373

It showed up 5 minutes before I got home from work, perfect timing and it just worked out that my buddy Nacho’s trip got cancelled so he could wait here to sign. The tracker wasn’t updated until around 4:45AM when it finally said it was moving again.

I can’t believe this thing is 25 years old. I’ll definitely take care of this thing a bit more than I generally do my guitars while I own it. Original owner had the action so low I couldn’t play it, that’s the 2nd guitar in a row I’ve gotten where the action was as low as possible before buzzing would come into play and I gotta say, both those guys did a pretty damn good job because that action was LOW. I took all the strings off and did my usual; polished the frets, oiled the neck, waxed the body, set it up/intonation, etc. Intonation was already dead on.

View attachment 3374
One thing that REALLY surprised me was when tuning it, the needle does not jerk back and forth, whatever it’s tuned to the note stays right there, completely unwavering. I’ve never seen any guitar do that. You get that initial movement when you first hit the string then it stops moving. That’s pretty cool!

If you blindfolded me and swapped between this and a Gibson, I’d never know the difference. This thing feels on par and in some cases, better than any Gibson I’ve ever played. The fit and finish is flawless, I can’t find a single imperfection on this and it feels just as tough as any Gibson I’ve ever played. I’ve played a few Standards that definitely did not feel this well put together.

Gripes-

Frets are tiny. They aren’t worn at all and the overall condition of this guitar tells me it wasn’t played a whole lot, so I wouldn’t think it’s been filed/crowned over the years. These look factory installed and untouched. Not as low as a fretless wonder, but not far from it.

Pickups are very bleh, but I was expecting that because I read the stock pickups weren’t so great. Dialing in a Marshall with them it just sounded like ‘generic humbucker/Marshall’ Exactly why I got the Aldrich for it, which I think is going to look pretty slick as well.

View attachment 3375

I almost attempted to change the pickup, but I need to make a new thread because I’m a moron with pickups, especially with the wiring in a Les Paul. What exists in there is nothing like what’s going in, as far as the wires go and I don’t want to f*ck it up or it’ll sit there unplayed until I have the desire to torture myself again.

Initially, I didn’t like the way it played. It’s not that IT plays bad, but I can’t play on this like I do my other guitars, which should be fairly obvious because it’s an entirely different guitar than my other ones. I had to adjust my playing when I started playing Strats again, so I’ll give it a little bit first. Neck if a comfy thickness, I was worried it was going to be slimmer than I wanted but no complaints there at all. Really nice piece of rosewood for the fingerboard as well.

Going to make a thread about the pickups and then I’m off to learn some Les Paul tunes!

Oh yeah, I’ve never seen a tweed LP case before, this is pretty nice!
View attachment 3376
View attachment 3377
Key And Peele Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

Back