A Tale Of Two MIJ LP’s (Update- They’re heeeeeere)

Ok, I’m adjusting to it, this is actually pretty f*ckin’ sweet.

I was really unsure at first, but once I got used to the frets a bit more I was diggin’ it. Shredding on this thing is not easy and wow….I totally forgot how much upper fret access is just a big ole ’F*ck you” :rofl

I’m using the Brit 800 #34 with an Super OD in front, this thing sustains for f*cking days! Playing rhythm stuff, I can definitely understand the attraction to a LP, there’s a bottom end in there that you don’t get with Strats. Still not sold on the pickups, they’re not quite ballsy enough with the output; if I can hit pinch harmonics all day long with the vintage Strat-voiced single coil Pribora’s, I definitely want to be able to nail them with a humbucker, without adding a ton of distortion or treble to the amp.

I’m definitely enjoying this. I still dig the tones I get out of Strats more, but I can certainly understand the appeal of these a bit more. Nearly all the Marshall models I tried, I didn’t even touch the knobs on the amp and it was a useable guitar tone on nearly every single one of them, that definitely doesn’t happen with my other guitars!

Ok, I’m adjusting to it, this is actually pretty f*ckin’ sweet.

I was really unsure at first, but once I got used to the frets a bit more I was diggin’ it. Shredding on this thing is not easy and wow….I totally forgot how much upper fret access is just a big ole ’F*ck you” :rofl

I’m using the Brit 800 #34 with an Super OD in front, this thing sustains for f*cking days! Playing rhythm stuff, I can definitely understand the attraction to a LP, there’s a bottom end in there that you don’t get with Strats. Still not sold on the pickups, they’re not quite ballsy enough with the output; if I can hit pinch harmonics all day long with the vintage Strat-voiced single coil Pribora’s, I definitely want to be able to nail them with a humbucker, without adding a ton of distortion or treble to the amp.

I’m definitely enjoying this. I still dig the tones I get out of Strats more, but I can certainly understand the appeal of these a bit more. Nearly all the Marshall models I tried, I didn’t even touch the knobs on the amp and it was a useable guitar tone on nearly every single one of them, that definitely doesn’t happen with my other guitars!

giphy.gif

Say hello to Chunk

I couldn’t hold myself back. I’ve been daydreaming about this guitar (with some cream zebra pickups) ever since I laid eyes on it. I had the intent of getting an Edwards LPC because it’s a b*tch to find any other MIJ LPC with an ebony board. Prices on them are still REALLY good ($1080-$1300) but I couldn’t get this top out of my head…

View attachment 3288

View attachment 3289
View attachment 3290
View attachment 3291

I can’t wait for this thing! I went to bed last night looking at 24-fret metal guitars, but in the spirit of what I’m trying to do right now, in getting specific guitars for specific tones, I have the metal bases covered and it’s not like my JEM is unplayable, it just buzzes on one fret. :rofl

I gotta start lookin’ at pickups to put in this; just like my Strats, I‘d rather keep this more classic sounding, rather than slapping high output humbuckers in it. I just know I’m gonna be Randy Marsh’in all over my studio the day I get that thing in and put the zebra pickups in! Look at that damn top!!!

I still want an Edwards LPC, but I’ll probably wait until after I get the Adam Jones Epiphone in February.

Cheers, @Orvillain, we’ll have to facetime so we can cross our Orville swords together.
the top is ridiculous.

I chased a mailman today. I actually chased 3 mail persons today since the security guard next door wanted to flat out lie about the mailman driving into that complex when I asked if I go see him, with the “Delivery Attempt 1/Signature Required’ ticket in my hand. Drove a mile up the street, talked to a really nice mail lady who was a sweetheart, drove a mile East and talked to a cuuuuuunnnnn…. wow. Drove back, parked in my parking spot and saw the mailman through the fence that I KNEW went into that complex next door. I ran back over and told the security guy, “I just parked my truck and saw him right there” and he let me in.

Hauled ass in a maze of apartment buildings and saw the dude; totally nice guy and offered to drive back to drop it off since he had to scan it at my address. I threw him some cash for doing that because the dude totally didn’t have to. Even brought it right up to my door.

First thing that struck me as I grabbed the box was how light it was. No LPC I’ve ever played was that light and my Orville was heavier than that. I had to take a shower before I could even open the thing because I hauled so much ass and I was dwelling on just that alone. But as soon as I got the thing in my hands and started going over it, I quickly stopped giving a sh*t. This thing is sweet. It feels exactly like my buddy’s E-II. I’ve heard these are assembled in China with the electronics installed in Japan but I dunno, man. If that’s the case, China is getting really f*cking good at making guitars that are on par with E-II’s.

A5112633-1483-40F5-9A39-FAC6EC428552.jpeg

8BCC4511-D805-4469-A878-54CE78497C36.jpeg

58C1A07C-1546-4F02-9ED0-692DC6CDB7B7.jpeg

EB958C36-DD17-401B-B83D-1041678CA24D.jpeg

96EE8A32-5A63-41A6-A3C4-D567AAC396F0.jpeg

It definitely needs some breaking in but I’m bonding with this MUCH faster than the Orville. The JB is a bit mushy in the lower end, they’re definitely getting switched out. Just not what I want in this guitar. Neck might be a little thinner than most LPC’s but not by much, profile feels the same. Fretwork is excellent and the pots are nice and smooth, I expected them to feel chincy.

Oh and the weight? It’s like the same as the Orville. I don’t know if my blood were just pumping like crazy or what, but it’s right around that 9.4lb spot, maybe a couple ounces lighter at the most.
2023 is off to a good start!

I chased a mailman today. I actually chased 3 mail persons today since the security guard next door wanted to flat out lie about the mailman driving into that complex when I asked if I go see him, with the “Delivery Attempt 1/Signature Required’ ticket in my hand. Drove a mile up the street, talked to a really nice mail lady who was a sweetheart, drove a mile East and talked to a cuuuuuunnnnn…. wow. Drove back, parked in my parking spot and saw the mailman through the fence that I KNEW went into that complex next door. I ran back over and told the security guy, “I just parked my truck and saw him right there” and he let me in.

Hauled ass in a maze of apartment buildings and saw the dude; totally nice guy and offered to drive back to drop it off since he had to scan it at my address. I threw him some cash for doing that because the dude totally didn’t have to. Even brought it right up to my door.

First thing that struck me as I grabbed the box was how light it was. No LPC I’ve ever played was that light and my Orville was heavier than that. I had to take a shower before I could even open the thing because I hauled so much ass and I was dwelling on just that alone. But as soon as I got the thing in my hands and started going over it, I quickly stopped giving a sh*t. This thing is sweet. It feels exactly like my buddy’s E-II. I’ve heard these are assembled in China with the electronics installed in Japan but I dunno, man. If that’s the case, China is getting really f*cking good at making guitars that are on par with E-II’s.

View attachment 3523
View attachment 3524
View attachment 3525
View attachment 3526

View attachment 3527

It definitely needs some breaking in but I’m bonding with this MUCH faster than the Orville. The JB is a bit mushy in the lower end, they’re definitely getting switched out. Just not what I want in this guitar. Neck might be a little thinner than most LPC’s but not by much, profile feels the same. Fretwork is excellent and the pots are nice and smooth, I expected them to feel chincy.

GOOOOOOODDDDDDDAMN! That LP is :chef :chef :chef

Haha, I felt bad re-stringing it because it came with brand new Elixer’s and they were actually 10’s, but after playing them for about 3 minutes I could stand the way they felt like they were guitar strings wearing nylons. I took the opportunity to oil the fingerboard and lube everything up. Rock solid tuning. I’m really falling in love with this one, fast.

D9C7CD71-22C4-4455-A273-D23116D6F2F8.jpeg

View attachment 3523
View attachment 3524
View attachment 3525
View attachment 3526

View attachment 3527

Oh and the weight? It’s like the same as the Orville. I don’t know if my blood were just pumping like crazy or what, but it’s right around that 9.4lb spot, maybe a couple ounces lighter at the most.

Ewwww.... so shiny!!! :love

I am an "Is your fretboard properly conditioned" asshole. I check my friend's guitars regularly.

"What are you looking at?" :LOL:

Well done, sir!! :beer

Couple of weeks ago a buddy bought a new fiddle from Sweetwater. He pays extra for a
setup (in spite of the 55 point inspection marketing BS!), has them put his preferred strings on
it, and do that before shipping.

Anywho, he gets the guitar and wants me to come over and check it out. My first look went right
to the fretboard and I told him, "They didn't condition/oil that Rosewood board man! How much
extra did you pay them to NOT be thorough." :facepalm

Condition those boards people!! :cop

I am an "Is your fretboard properly conditioned" a*****e. I check my friend's guitars regularly.

"What are you looking at?" :LOL:

Well done, sir!! :beer

Couple of weeks ago a buddy bought a new fiddle from Sweetwater. He pays extra for a
setup (in spite of the 55 point inspection marketing BS!), has them put his preferred strings on
it, and do that before shipping.

Anywho, he gets the guitar and wants me to come over and check it out. My first look went right
to the fretboard and I told him, "They didn't condition/oil that Rosewood board man! How much
extra did you pay them to NOT be thorough." :facepalm

Condition those boards people!! :cop

Absolutely. I do it with every new guitar, don’t really waste any time with the existing strings, cut ‘em all off, polish the frets with a microfiber cloth or the light fret eraser with little pressure, lube up the nut and oil the board, then string it up and start setting the action/intonation/relief. This was a super quick setup, no truss rod adjustment needed, just an 1/8th of a turn on each bridge post na it was good to go!

I couldn’t put that thing down last night. Had trouble sleeping and kept getting up, I’d strap it on for a few minutes and walk around my apartment playing, hoping to start feeling sleepy. I might have played that thing more last night than I have the Orville in a week’s time!

Zakk Wylde EMG’s are on the way. I’m not even going to bother going down the rabbit hole with finding a passive pickup that does what I want the EMG’s to do. There’s a certain mid frequency in EMG’s I don’t dig, but f*ck it, I can just dial it out!

I’m considering buying a white one while I can still get them brand new, but I really went nuts in the last….year. Time to chill for a while.

I couldn’t put that thing down last night. Had trouble sleeping and kept getting up, I’d strap it on for a few minutes and walk around my apartment playing, hoping to start feeling sleepy. I might have played that thing more last night than I have the Orville in a week’s time!

Zakk Wylde EMG’s are on the way. I’m not even going to bother going down the rabbit hole with finding a passive pickup that does what I want the EMG’s to do. There’s a certain mid frequency in EMG’s I don’t dig, but f*ck it, I can just dial it out!

I’m considering buying a white one while I can still get them brand new, but I really went nuts in the last….year. Time to chill for a while.
76gs3l.jpg

Ok. I was all on board until now. :(

:rofl

I just think that Edwards looks perfect. Aesthetically it is flawless., and them EMGs are gonna fuck that
up for me. :LOL:

Don't they make a gold covered ZW 81/85 set?

Ok. I was all on board until now. :(

:rofl

I just think that Edwards looks perfect. Aesthetically it is flawless., and them EMGs are gonna f**k that
up for me. :LOL:

Don't they make a gold covered ZW 81/85 set?

I just saw this now, my b.

I do kinda miss the gold covers but not quite enough to bother buying another set.

B141F126-0B2D-4405-B6BC-E60999974EE5.jpeg

Just saw I should be getting the EMG switch in today so I can actually use the thing like it’s intended. Hopefully this doesn’t cause another 5 hour exploration of f*cking wiring.

Back