A Tale Of Two MIJ LP’s (Update- They’re heeeeeere)

My first EMG was in 1986. I was living in Orlando at the Navy Training Center, and just purchased a
Kramer Baretta, and my technique and understanding was so bad that I got talked into putting
an EMG 81 in the Bridge. It replace the stock Seymour JB it came with, and the "tech" also put in a
+25dB preamp that I could toggle off and on.

Pinch harmonics came fast and furious then. So did a massively increased noise floor. :LOL:

It's probably just my trauma from that even that I am still living with today and projecting onto your
Edwards. :idk

[…] I do kinda miss the gold covers but not quite enough to bother buying another set.

View attachment 3648

[…]
Although I always preferred Strat shaped guitars, there‘s just something special about plain black LPs I find really appealing. Sexy!

Ah, and didn‘t you find the Het Set interesting? Wouldn‘t the missing gold covers be a perfect excuse to buy one? ;)
1673466817058.jpeg

Last edited:
I just saw this now, my b.

I do kinda miss the gold covers but not quite enough to bother buying another set.

View attachment 3648

Just saw I should be getting the EMG switch in today so I can actually use the thing like it’s intended. Hopefully this doesn’t cause another 5 hour exploration of f*cking wiring.
That looks really nice with those EMG's in there!

Although I always preferred Strat shaped guitars, there‘s just something special about plain black LPs I find really appealing. Sexy!

Ah, and didn‘t you find the Het Set interesting? Wouldn‘t the missing gold covers be a perfect excuse to buy one? ;)
View attachment 3649

Nah, in the comparison vids they had way more mids than I prefer. Mids tend to follow me around no matter what I do but if I elaborate any further it’ll turn into a 40+ page thread.

Good going Drew!

I'm definitely a sucker for LPs these days, especially cheaper ones that sound/play as good as Gibsons.

I'd put my 90's Korean Greco LP Custom up against any LP I've ever played. The quality, playability, and sound is just top notch.

Good going Drew!

I'm definitely a sucker for LPs these days, especially cheaper ones that sound/play as good as Gibsons.

I'd put my 90's Korean Greco LP Custom up against any LP I've ever played. The quality, playability, and sound is just top notch.

I’ve actually been tossing around the idea of flipping the Orville for another Edwards, but then I play the Orville and know I’ll most likely regret it if I sold it. It actually plays a little better than the Edwards and the sustain on it is f*cking insane. I think I might slap some 13’s on the Edwards and let nature do it’s work, I have all the tension off the truss rod and can’t get the neck to shift forward at all, I just need a pinch of relief and it’ll play just like the Orville.

They’re both killer for different reasons and I’m having a blast with them!

I just saw this now, my b.

I do kinda miss the gold covers but not quite enough to bother buying another set.

View attachment 3648

Just saw I should be getting the EMG switch in today so I can actually use the thing like it’s intended. Hopefully this doesn’t cause another 5 hour exploration of f*cking wiring.
It's getting... blacker.

I love it.

LZIS99.gif

I’ve actually been tossing around the idea of flipping the Orville for another Edwards, but then I play the Orville and know I’ll most likely regret it if I sold it. It actually plays a little better than the Edwards and the sustain on it is f*cking insane. I think I might slap some 13’s on the Edwards and let nature do it’s work, I have all the tension off the truss rod and can’t get the neck to shift forward at all, I just need a pinch of relief and it’ll play just like the Orville.

They’re both killer for different reasons and I’m having a blast with them!

Well, if you ever let that Orville go, you know where to go :satan

Well, if you ever let that Orville go, you know where to go :satan

Hahahah we’ll see! Yesterday I was 80% sure I was going to sell it, then I played it and now I’m like 10% sure. I’ll have a better idea once I get the Adam Jones Epiphone.…..though, really, as much as I’ve heard they’ve stepped up their game, I’m hearing about a lot of QC issues with them and in comparison to the perfect guitar I got with the Edwards, I’m losing interest in the Jones Epi.

Hahahah we’ll see! Yesterday I was 80% sure I was going to sell it, then I played it and now I’m like 10% sure. I’ll have a better idea once I get the Adam Jones Epiphone.…..though, really, as much as I’ve heard they’ve stepped up their game, I’m hearing about a lot of QC issues with them and in comparison to the perfect guitar I got with the Edwards, I’m losing interest in the Jones Epi.

I had a MIC EPi sheraton a while back and it was actually a super nice guitar. Definitely was able to hang a bit with my nicer guitars

Is the DR still kicking around or did you move on from that?

I had a MIC EPi sheraton a while back and it was actually a super nice guitar. Definitely was able to hang a bit with my nicer guitars

Is the DR still kicking around or did you move on from that?

Still got the DRRI! It hasn’t been turned on since the first week I bought it, though!

I’ve definitely played some great Epiphones and I’ve heard a LOT of good things about the newer LPC’s they’re putting out. I also take some gripes with a grain of salt because some of the things people expect on a $1000 guitar are unreasonable “I see the joint lines through the paint! This is useless!” :rofl It seems mostly to be fretwork not being dead on or the electronics having an issue; a bunch of the Jones Epi’s needed to have the input jack replaced or pulled out and tweaked because people couldn’t get their cables into it.

I REALLY want an aged Silverburst LP, so I’m still holding onto hope!

Still got the DRRI! It hasn’t been turned on since the first week I bought it, though!

I’ve definitely played some great Epiphones and I’ve heard a LOT of good things about the newer LPC’s they’re putting out. I also take some gripes with a grain of salt because some of the things people expect on a $1000 guitar are unreasonable “I see the joint lines through the paint! This is useless!” :rofl It seems mostly to be fretwork not being dead on or the electronics having an issue; a bunch of the Jones Epi’s needed to have the input jack replaced or pulled out and tweaked because people couldn’t get their cables into it.

I REALLY want an aged Silverburst LP, so I’m still holding onto hope!

Hey, I had to replace the input jack on my $2200 Tele with an electrosocket, but then again I knew what I was getting into with a "vintage correct" '55 tele :rofl

Hey, I had to replace the input jack on my $2200 Tele with an electrosocket, but then again I knew what I was getting into with a "vintage correct" '55 tele :rofl

I’m fine with stuff like that, I expect it on something -$1300. Frets are where I start drawing the line, though. Mostly because my bad experience with a re-fret and while I have a guy I trust now, it’s not something I want to deal with on a new guitar.

REALLY though, I need to stop buying f*ckin’ guitars and write more music!

Back