A delay pedal so good all my bills will be delayed this month

The comparison I made on another forum that maybe explains why I don't understand it totally:

When Korg made the SDD3000 pedal, that made sense because the tone of that classic rack delay was in the analogue preamp circuit - it's got a colour to it and limited headroom - and the modulation options coupled with a particular bit depth and sample rate. So, put those in a pedal and even if the delay engine itself is an emulation running on a modern DSP chip with modern AD/DA (I think it used the same digital back end as the Vox delay lab) you can reasonably say "Buy this and you get the SDD3000 sound" with that sound being something unique.

I don't really understand if this has the same authenticity behind it. Because the DD500 already has an SDE mode. In terms of tone and signal path, what does this give you that the DD500 doesn't except a cool blue colour scheme and push buttons? does it use the original long chip that I understand the original rack units (and DD-2) used? Same converters, analogue front and back end etc?

That said. It's cool and blue and probably sounds great.

Watched a few videos of this and while it's a device that doesn't really interest me, I have a real love/hate relationship with the way it operates.

I like how there's dedicated buttons to easily switch between what you are editing. I hate that adjusting values is done with the same type of buttons as the original instead of just encoders. I feel that's going a bit too far in replicating it in pedal form.

555-655 euros is way too steep for these things though. But I guess Boss sees them as some niche thing that appeals to fans of the rack unit and nobody else.

I think it's cool, and it has some nice routing options. But I'm about tapped out on pedal purchases and have everything I really need.

I don't really respond to the "archetype" vibe tbh. Whether an artist uses a thing or not, is almost always a secondary concern for me. Leon and Pete are great, but I don't feel the need to use gear just because they do.

I look at feature sets first and foremost, then I look at algorithm sound quality and depth and capabilities, and then I might enjoy the curio of artist rosters. Maybe.

Not supporting subdivisions is a bit mental in this day and age. Do they support it for one of the delays but not both, or just not at all???

The more I look at this pedal the more I'm like "whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy??"

You took the artist thing a totally different direction than what I was saying. The artists I listed are guys with extensive gear experience, big gear collections, and good ears. They say the old rack gear sounds better than the newer digital delays. My point was I tend to believe them based on their experience even if I do kind of wish that my modern gear sounded every bit as good as the old stuff.

I went through the manual and didn’t see any subdivision support at all. If it could independently do subdivisions for both delay lines, I probably would have bought it. None of the delay pedals that interest me sonically have that capability for two delay lines in series, which has been a staple sound for me for a long time.

I care about sonics and features only, couldn’t care less who else uses something. Actually I do a little bit but in the opposite way of most people. If two pedals are equal in sound and capabilities but one is on everyone’s board, I’ll take the other one.

D

You took the artist thing a totally different direction than what I was saying. The artists I listed are guys with extensive gear experience, big gear collections, and good ears. They say the old rack gear sounds better than the newer digital delays. My point was I tend to believe them based on their experience even if I do kind of wish that my modern gear sounded every bit as good as the old stuff.
"better" is completely subjective, and I just don't put anyone else's ears before my own.

Though the thing is missing is the H-3000 Micro-Pitch as Jive pointed out.
^Yes. Though for me; I have come to love the Boss dual pitch block the most for this thing (not technically the same thing but gives me that vibe that I want) over the other modelers or eventide micropitch pedal (that I can't seem to give away)
Not supporting subdivisions is a bit mental in this day and age. Do they support it for one of the delays but not both, or just not at all???
This is a Boss thing that has irritated you more than once iirc. That's too bad. I LOVE the sounds of Boss delays and I nowhere near the same universe as yourself as far as what I want to get out of them on a deeper than surface level.

This is a Boss thing that has irritated you more than once iirc. That's too bad. I LOVE the sounds of Boss delays and I nowhere near the same universe as yourself as far as what I want to get out of them on a deeper than surface level.
I've got a DD8 and a DD500, and I love them both. DD500 has subdivisions, but it doesn't have a good series mode. Not without faffing around with extra cables and specific patch settings.

"better" is completely subjective, and I just don't put anyone else's ears before my own.

I don’t either. But my own ears haven’t had the chance to directly compare a 2290, various pcms, sdds, and other rack delays to the modern mega delays and I don’t care enough about the potential difference to go buy or source all of those and do the testing. I like the conveniences of the modern units too much, a tone I perceive as being slightly sweeter isn’t going to be worth the practical tradeoffs to me.

All I’m saying is that there are a handful of guys whose tones I like and who tend to have the same perceptions of gear as I do who have had the opportunity to do this exact testing that I haven’t. They say the best vintage racks sound a little better and sweeter, and I believe them. You can not believe them unless you hear it yourself, I don’t care.

D

Boss mega pedals are life. Strymon and eventide have been charging these kinds of prices for years and years. I don't think there's anything out of line here.

This pedal looks badass. I have more interest in the non EVH version that is $100 cheaper. I'm perfectly happy with my RE-202 tho. But I'd love to do a shoot out

When I first saw the Boss video (super well done), I could feel the GAS building. But when it got to the actual demos, I was a little underwhelmed. Not because it wasn't a good delay, but because I was hoping it would have the Eventide micro pitch as another effect. It's a good and versatile digital delay, but I'm not sure it's going to be any kind of improvement over the Helix Vintage Delay or anything else.

I do kind of have my eye on trading in some spare gear to pick up a Boss GT-1000 Core at the local gear shop though...

Never got the whole fancy delay thing. I only ever need a certain amount of repeats at a certain ms no matter what I am playing. My go to is 375ms with a feedback of 35 and about 10% mix and for wetter stuff around 500ms with 45 fb and 25% mix.

Never got the whole fancy delay thing. I only ever need a certain amount of repeats at a certain ms no matter what I am playing. My go to is 375ms with a feedback of 35 and about 10% mix and for wetter stuff around 500ms with 45 fb and 25% mix.
Delays for me:

Tape Echo
400ms, 2-3 repeats, not sure where I have the mix at.

Analog Delay
800ms, 3-4 repeats (whatever Tape Echo is at, +1), maybe a bit more mix. I probably have my mix around 40-50% on both, but unsure. I do stack delays on occasion.

Right...hard to spend $500 on a stereo delay pedal when you can get an HX Stomp, HX Effects, GT-1000 Core, or others that can do stereo delay plus a hundred other things.

None of the delay pedals that interest me sonically have that capability for two delay lines in series, which has been a staple sound for me for a long time.

D

Have you checked out the Free The Tone Future Factory? :idk

Looks like Boss partnered/worked with EVH for this. So 2 different brands/corps need a cut,
which is why it is probably $100-$150 more than it would be otherwise. :idk

Last edited:
Back