5150 Iconic 40 watt adding a master volume

I have the 40 watt Iconic and even at half power (kind of new this going in) it’s way to loud once I get it to sound good for the house at night. Not to mention music room at the house is only about 14’x16’.
Has anyone put a master volume on the effects loop? I want to know if it changed the tone before I buy one.
Any suggestions appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5294.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
Bringing the volume down will change the way your ears perceive the tone, I would throw an EQ pedal in the loop that has a volume control on it. Then you can fine tune it with the EQ to get it where you want it.

JHS little black box last in the loop. (y)

JHS little black box last in the loop. (y)

Thank you, 😊

Bringing the volume down will change the way your ears perceive the tone, I would throw an EQ pedal in the loop that has a volume control on it. Then you can fine tune it with the EQ to get it where you want it.
I have thought that as well, but does that cause it to bypass the amps eq entirely? I really like the overdrive and burn on the amp itself. The mids, lows and highs probably doesn’t make difference however I am worried about the channel features. I just do not know how all of that functions together.

I have thought that as well, but does that cause it to bypass the amps eq entirely? I really like the overdrive and burn on the amp itself. The mids, lows and highs probably doesn’t make difference however I am worried about the channel features. I just do not know how all of that functions together.

No, it’s just an additional EQ coming after the tone stack in the preamp. That way you can bring the volume down, then use the EQ to make it sound closer to what you hear when it’s loud.

Don't sweat it. I'm sure you've listened to the same albums both really loud and really quiet and it doesn't alter your satisfaction of the music.
Your ears are actually pretty well trained to adjust for large volume differences.

No, it’s just an additional EQ coming after the tone stack in the preamp. That way you can bring the volume down, then use the EQ to make it sound closer to what you hear when it’s loud.

This is a bit of a solution looking for a problem.

First lower the volume to what works and then adjust the amps EQ to compensate.

Only add more EQ if that doesn't work.

This is a bit of a solution looking for a problem.

First lower the volume to what works and then adjust the amps EQ to compensate.

Only add more EQ if that doesn't work.

That works fine as long as the channel masters can bring the volume down enough on their own without making things sound bad. Some amps can do this, some can’t and need that additional help. I’m not familiar with the Iconics, so I can’t speak directly about how to deal with them.

That works fine as long as the channel masters can bring the volume down enough on their own

My comments are based on the OP inserting a JHS black box in the loop to tame the volume.
Those things work incredibly well considering how stupid simple the concept is!

My comments are based on the OP inserting a JHS black box in the loop to tame the volume.
Those things work incredibly well considering how stupid simple the concept is!

Well yeah, it’s just a volume pot in an enclosure. I suggested the EQ simply because OP was concerned with it not sounding right compared to playing it loudly, and a good EQ can work magic beyond what the amps tone stack can do. I run an MXR 10 band in the loop of my Mark V to get a more Marshall-like sound out of the crunch channel, Mesa voices their midrange noticeably lower than Marshall does and the EQ fixes this issue.

Back