335 or similar semi-hollow GAS

Friends Love GIF by The Bachelorette

Because you believe the marketing? I say what I see with the experience of 35 years. I don’t care if you think you believe me or not on the basis of practicality no experience or knowledge.
Snark aside, is the Epiphone pot metal really that much better than Sire pot metal?

I've experienced some shit metal on my PRS S2 Saddles which got replaced promptly after consecutive string breakages.

I'd love to be laced with enough knowledge to steer me away from such things but the Trust Me Bro™ way of explaining things by people in the know don't really convey a point. I love that you have this insight but to me it feels like knowledge gaatekeeping.

Otherwise it's like as Sascha says, you're just blowing smoke and it's just your opinion.

Id love to be proven one way or another, but this bickering is dumb.

I'll try to swing by Guitar Dumpster after today's Fender Stack Doom Jam and see what they have that I can put my hands and eyes on.

Snark aside, is the Epiphone pot metal really that much better than Sire pot metal?

I've experienced some shit metal on my PRS S2 Saddles which got replaced promptly after consecutive string breakages.

I'd love to be laced with enough knowledge to steer me away from such things but the Trust Me Bro™ way of explaining things by people in the know don't really convey a point. I love that you have this insight but to me it feels like knowledge gaatekeeping.

Otherwise it's like as Sascha says, you're just blowing smoke and it's just your opinion.

Id love to be proven one way or another, but this bickering is dumb.
The pot metal on both is pretty similar but the wood selection and finish details are quite a bit better on the Epiphone these days .

All I can say is: Try the Sire. Don't trust me or anyone else, just try it. The amount of rather very positive comments should be enough of a reason to at least give them a testrun. IMO there's not much better VFM options in that price range. Fwiw, I actually quite liked the pickups.

Sometimes I only have “you will have to trust me “ because I can’t reference stuff from way back for you to see what I saw on hundreds of instruments. But I have a long list of stuff here that you can reference too and see if what I say fits with your own experience. If you find it does it is not just “ trust me “. I reference stuff when I can but it just isn’t always possible. You have to decide if you basically trust my opinion or not. I have customers that ship me stuff transatlantic for simple jobs because they “Trust me bro.”
I understand the importance of evidence because this industry is stacked full of BS charlatans and lies err Marketing. This is a forum at the end of the day and all opinions are not the same.

All I can say is: Try the Sire. Don't trust me or anyone else, just try it. The amount of rather very positive comments should be enough of a reason to at least give them a testrun. IMO there's not much better VFM options in that price range. Fwiw, I actually quite liked the pickups.
Well said. Apart from the pickups I agree and you should try one yourself. I can list problems I found but they were not the one in front of you . The parts you can guarantee are bad are bad on everything else at this price.

A friend just got an Edwards 335, great guitar. Gotoh hardware and it has Duncan 59s a hard case and it cost £650 new.

I sold my 70's Reissue Walnut 335 last year and have been looking at an Edwards. I can see myself
owning nothing but MIJ guitars at some point. Never touched a bad one.

I tried both the Sire and the IBG 335, and went with the Epiphone. I preferred the size and shape of the neck, as I felt the Sire neck was a bit too narrow for me. I did switch to 50s wiring, which was not terribly hard, but did greatly improve the usability of the volume and tone pots.
IMG_3962.jpeg

I tried both the Sire and the IBG 335, and went with the Epiphone. I preferred the size and shape of the neck, as I felt the Sire neck was a bit too narrow for me. I did switch to 50s wiring, which was not terribly hard, but did greatly improve the usability of the volume and tone pots.View attachment 19482

I agree with this. I also went with an IBG Epi recently that is near-flawless, and gets you to 85% or more of the real thing.

FWIW, the Sires I have played at SW and GC have been decent, but nothing spectacular, and definitely not head and shoulders better than current Epis IMO. For all the (previously well-deserved) crap Epi used to get for QC issues, I see a lot of the same with Sire.

Only buy MIJ Tokia the other ones are pretty bad but sell on the reputation built by the MIJ models over the years. Eastman are very nice but somewhat more expensive than the budget . If you can stretch they are worth it.

I should also mention that the nut was somewhat high, and I had to do a bit of filing on it to get the first couple of frets to intonate. I don’t think that’s unusual…had to do the same thing on my Rickebacker 4003, so I don’t knock Epiphone for this.

I should also mention that the nut was somewhat high, and I had to do a bit of filing on it to get the first couple of frets to intonate. I don’t think that’s unusual…had to do the same thing on my Rickebacker 4003, so I don’t knock Epiphone for this.
A poorly cut nut is definitely common in the more budget end and often plastic. Some have started to use Tusq and similar products and these are generally better but slot depth is rarely fine tuned. It makes a world of difference to the feel of the instrument to get this fixed.

This is SO beautiful !!!! Very expensive though ..

vwk46xlvuvfzwxlqkfa7.jpg

Amazing

Back