SDotD: Epiphone ES-335 Traditional Pro Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar Ebony

mbenigni

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Musicians Friend is blowing out some low-end Epiphone 335's for $400. This is on my list of "Guitars I Used to Want in the Stable but Haven't Really Thought About Lately".

Any thoughts here about this particular model, or the value at this price?

Musicians Friend is blowing out some low-end Epiphone 335's for $400. This is on my list of "Guitars I Used to Want in the Stable but Haven't Really Thought About Lately".

Any thoughts here about this particular model, or the value at this price?

Pretty sure I played this model last summer when I snagged my SG. It was absolutely solid playing. My one (pretty big) concern would be electronics. My SG is flakey and I need to decide if I'm gonna rewire It or sell it. The neck pickup sometimes doesn't have a good connection and needs me to bang on the guitar for a minute to get it to fully engage. That's one instance. BUT -- the guitaristas YouTube dude got in an epi 339 with similar issue recently....and an epi 335 (will add links in a bit).

I've had my fill of "its a great deal on a semi-hollow, I told myself..." only to find myself knee deep in sawdust with solder burns all over my arms and legs...

Pretty sure I played this model last summer when I snagged my SG. It was absolutely solid playing. My one (pretty big) concern would be electronics. My SG is flakey and I need to decide if I'm gonna rewire It or sell it. The neck pickup sometimes doesn't have a good connection and needs me to bang on the guitar for a minute to get it to fully engage. That's one instance. BUT -- the guitaristas YouTube dude got in an epi 339 with similar issue recently....and an epi 335 (will add links in a bit).

I've had my fill of "its a great deal on a semi-hollow, I told myself..." only to find myself knee deep in sawdust with solder burns all over my arms and legs...
Yeah, I've seen that pickup/ pickup selector weirdness on a couple of Epiphone Les Pauls as well.

I don't know. It's hard to turn down a 335(ish) for $400, but I just can't convince myself I need this right now. I'm still struggling on and off with tuning stability on my Epi SG. I have a feeling this 335 will sit in the guitar stand.

Putting a new switch on a budget semi-hollow...just isn't remotely worth it. Especially on these, where you HAVE to go in through the f-hole, since there's no cutout in center block in either pickup cavity to allow you to access the electronics through that larger opening. Given current evidence on Epi on this, I'm just not willing to gamble on anything but a solid body from them.

Ewwww... Indian Laurel. :LOL:
Yeah, my beef isn't with Indian Laurel as a species, its that it seems like a guitar spec'ed with it is one where they just ordered a whole bunch of wood and they use every piece they get, regardless of appearance. Its not a deal killer...but I'd prefer to see the guitar in person rather than just photos if its got IL for fingerboard material.

I have a 2020 or 2021 Epiphone 335 that is a fantastic guitar. I polished up the frets, lowered the action at the nut, and it’s a really nice guitar. I even like the pickups and electronics.

That guitar is a solid steal at that price.
Agree 100%

I have a 2018 (I believe), maybe 2017, Epi 335 Pro Custom Shop in Cherry and it has been a great guitar. I put 50's wiring in it from Toneman and 2 Gibson Classic 57's in it a buddy gave me. It is a pain to put everything through the f holes, but a few hours and a 6 pack later and it was awesome!! I also cleaned up the fret ends, sanded the back of the neck, and leveled and polished the frets. I think I picked it up around 2020 new just under $400.

It sounded fine with the stock electronics, but I like to tinker with my guitars to try and make them a little better than stock. Eventually, I'll probably switch out the bridge 57 for a 57+ for a little more gain, but for now it covers 90% of my humbucker sounds set up like this.

I have a 2020 or 2021 Epiphone 335 that is a fantastic guitar. I polished up the frets, lowered the action at the nut, and it’s a really nice guitar. I even like the pickups and electronics.

That guitar is a solid steal at that price.
I snoozed and (arguably) loozed on this one. It was a no-brainer price for sure, but I just don't want a semi-hollow badly enough at this particular moment in time. I'll make a mental note to never pay more than $400 for this model, and call it done. :)

Out of curiosity, did anyone else here grab one yesteday?

I snoozed and (arguably) loozed on this one. It was a no-brainer price for sure, but I just don't want a semi-hollow badly enough at this particular moment in time. I'll make a mental note to never pay more than $400 for this model, and call it done. :)

Out of curiosity, did anyone else here grab one yesteday?

We can find used examples (in better colors, too!) of that same guitar for right around the same money. :idk

I just sold my Walnut Reissue Gibson 335 to help finance another purchase. I'd snag an EPI 335 in an heartbeat,
but truth be told, I don't miss the Gibson that much. She probably thought I loved her more than that. :crazy

Back