335 or similar semi-hollow GAS

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I got the ES-335 GAS but don't have Gibson money. Also don't like the bulging Epiphone headstocks. I remember playing an Ibanez Artcore in the early 2000s that was calling to me.

I know next to nothing about these guitars but want one. What should I look for or look out for?

Find a late 1970s Ibanez Artist and call it a day. Ibanez were only building out of Japan back then and were KILLING a lot of other brands with their stuff. Had a 78-79? I bought new and it was a unbelievable!

1709405027733.png

Last edited:
Old Yamaha SA series is killer. I have a SA-1200S I've owned a few decades now and I believe it's over 40 years old at this point, just like me.

The "S" models have a solid, carved spruce top. The sides on mine are beech. They have push/push pots for coil splits and the tone knobs are out of the circuit when turned to 10. Stock pickups are alright, but I swapped mine for Vintage Vibes.

These older SAs do tend to suffer from finish lifting issues though, it causes a cloudy haze on them but no other issues. I don't mind it too much and might end up getting one cheaper because of that.

Don't have it near me to take a picture, but here's one I dug up, along with some other guitars. The black Ibanez RG550, the Yamaha BB bass and the Yamaha Pacifica 1511 Mike Stern Tele are gone but I still have the G&L, Flaxwood and Fenix LP copy.

1709405331438.png

For something more modern, the Yamaha SA-2200 is gorgeous. That's what I would check out first.

I got the ES-335 GAS but don't have Gibson money. Also don't like the bulging Epiphone headstocks. I remember playing an Ibanez Artcore in the early 2000s that was calling to me.

I know next to nothing about these guitars but want one. What should I look for or look out for?
The Ibanez stuff is good, but the budget stuff has gotten to looking more budget the last 10 years or so -- inlays that just look like blocks of white plastic, fingerboards that aren't terribly dark.

I've had a lot of trouble with Epiphone electronics, which is backed up by the dude from Guitaristas channel having several semi-hollow Ephiphones in with electronics issues...not a fun fix.

The D'Angelico stuff is pretty solid if you're okay with the aesthetic.

Eastman stuff is GREAT if its in your budget.

I've had a lot of trouble with Epiphone electronics, which is backed up by the dude from Guitaristas channel having several semi-hollow Ephiphones in with electronics issues...not a fun fix.
What's so bad about the electronics? I just realized that Epiphone makes copies with a more Gibson looking headstock.

A friend just got an Edwards 335, great guitar. Gotoh hardware and it has Duncan 59s a hard case and it cost £650 new.
Any Edwards dealers in the US?

I have an Ibanez AS-93 which I’ve loved (I love the Super 58 pickups). The AM-93 is identical but with a slightly smaller body
Plastic nut? How's that holding up?

Honestly the frontrunners are an Epiphone or an Ibanez because they are more readily available and under $1000US. I want to go try a few before making a decision.

What's the general appeal of a HB? And typical use? Seriously wondering, cuz I once played a PRS HB and found it horrible.

Although I do remember playing an older gentleman's vintage (as in, he'd had it forever, bought new, prob pre- 60's) ES-345, and it played like freakin buttah! I had never played a guitar set up as nicely either, with super-low action. Dude knew what he was doing. He was this old "standards" kind of player, and said he'd had a repertoire of something like 500 songs. But I digress.

What's the general appeal of a HB? And typical use? Seriously wondering, cuz I once played a PRS HB and found it horrible.
Blues, jazz, some early rock. I just really like the look of an ES-335! I played some great HB guitars at a little shop in LA when I was a teen but I've never owned one.

I've only played two PRSi that I've liked and they were both Satin S2's.

Blues, jazz, some early rock. I just really like the look of an ES-335! I played some great HB guitars at a little shop in LA when I was a teen but I've never owned one.

I've only played two PRSi that I've liked and they were both Satin S2's.
Wolfy VH sure as hell makes his ES sound amazing!

What's so bad about the electronics? I just realized that Epiphone makes copies with a more Gibson looking headstock.

Honestly the frontrunners are an Epiphone or an Ibanez because they are more readily available and under $1000US. I want to go try a few before making a decision.
He got it in Japan. Gibson nuts are plastic and the nut on an original 59 is nylon so if it sounds good leave it alone. You can easily put a bone one on if it bothers you. I put one on my budget jazz box.
IMG_3012.jpeg

The look of the plastic one was cheap. Much better now.

Although I do remember playing an older gentleman's vintage (as in, he'd had it forever, bought new, prob pre- 60's) ES-345, and it played like freakin buttah! I had never played a guitar set up as nicely either, with super-low action. Dude knew what he was doing. He was this old "standards" kind of player, and said he'd had a repertoire of something like 500 songs. But I digress.
I own both a semi-hollowbody and a Schecter Coupe full hollowbody. I also have a hollowbody Flaxwood that is regular guitar sized with no F-holes.

To me a ES-335 style semi-hollowbody is:
  • Just feels nice due to the large body.
  • Feedbacks easier but is generally controllable.
  • Has this certain "openness" to its sound vs solid-bodies.
I think they work for anything but extreme metal tones.

The PRS style, smaller hollowbodies aren't IMO that different from solid bodies. Just feedback a bit more readily.

Hollowbodies are a bit more quirky:
  • Less sustain than solid or semi-hollowbodies.
  • More acoustic volume so fun to play even on their own.
  • Even more of that acoustic character to the sound, but can also be somehow smooth?
  • Feedback can be an issue at loud volumes.
I like playing mine for clean and lower gain tones. It can rock too of course but I think Filtertrons are especially beautiful for cleans and edge of breakup sounds.

But of course the primary reason to get these things is they look good. I mean typical Gretsch style hollowbody in the right color...oof!

Schecter Coupe.jpg

Bad connections. On my SG, neck pickup can be fiddle - have to jiggle the toggle switch sometimes to get full output - I just need to get the soldering iron out. Not a big deal…but a bigger pain on an ES.

The guitaristas videos are looooooobg, and his playing sucks, but worth checking out for epiphanies so you know what you’re getting into.

Back