WTF is this ringing??

It's a long shot but the ground wire on your trem looks like it might be suspect to buzzing.

20231212_173805.jpg

No, I took it out and tightened down the system that holds it in.

I had a little time and changed out the A string saddle back to stock. The D string does it now. I'll probably end up switching them all back. Winter break can't come soon enough!

Well, that's good to know what it is now.

Any specific reason you swapped the saddles to begin with? That's a lovely guitar. Just curious.

I had a little time and changed out the A string saddle back to stock. The D string does it now. I'll probably end up switching them all back. Winter break can't come soon enough!

I had saddle buzzing issues with Les Pauls forever until someone told me a neat little trick. Clear nail polish. Add a dab and it dries and acts like insulation to the metal parts. And ya can't see it. Might be worth a try.

Well, that's good to know what it is now.

Any specific reason you swapped the saddles to begin with? That's a lovely guitar. Just curious.
Only really put them on because they're on a few other guitars (the all black saddles though) that I play often and doing so has helped with strings breaking/trem wankery.

Not really. I changed saddles and strings and the problem still exists, only the pinging is only audible from palm muting and playing the open D string, which isn't very often so I guess it's less of a problem but still a problem?

It's feckin weird.
Did you try muting the strings behind the nut?

One thought that may be irrelevant but if you have a two way truss rod there is a bit of loose between the directions. At that point you can get rattle. The solution without altering the relief is snug the nut up against the beginning of the adjustment area to take up the slack but nothing else. Sympathetic rattling can be anywhere so get someone to play it with the noise happening and try touching anything that might cause it. I’ve even seen a loose tuners with a buzzing washer. Literally anything on the guitar can cause it.

Tremolo No is also a huge can of worms. I take more off than fit . If you don’t mind a down only set up go with that because it will sound better and not bring Tno issues.

Well shit the bed! After removing most of the Tremol-no and the problem persisting, I decided to return my attention to the nut area.

While unwinding and fiddling with the D string, pulling in different places, messing with the string trees and tuners, I pushed against the already muted strings and the noise drasticly reduced!

So its not enough that I need to mute the strings, but I need to apply pressure and clamp it down.

I've ordered some mute clamps that honestly look kinda ugly but I'm gonna cut down some foam and try that when I get a minute.

I've never had this much of a problem dealing with ringing behind the nut. Usually one of those velcro wraps or a scrunchie does the trick.

Well shit the bed! After removing most of the Tremol-no and the problem persisting, I decided to return my attention to the nut area.

While unwinding and fiddling with the D string, pulling in different places, messing with the string trees and tuners, I pushed against the already muted strings and the noise drasticly reduced!

So its not enough that I need to mute the strings, but I need to apply pressure and clamp it down.

I've ordered some mute clamps that honestly look kinda ugly but I'm gonna cut down some foam and try that when I get a minute.

I've never had this much of a problem dealing with ringing behind the nut. Usually one of those velcro wraps or a scrunchie does the trick.
Something loose on the head is still likely particularly if you need to push harder than just touching.

Something loose on the head is still likely particularly if you need to push harder than just touching.
I think I was just pushing the string off pitch to get it to stop. It's all foamed up but still doing it..

Back