WTF is this ringing??

Talked to a tech in the area and he said it might be setup related. Raising the action seems to make it better? There's a pause in the audio below where I had raised the action of the D string

Might just bring it in tomorrow.

And before anyone asks about muting behind the nut:

20231228_180531.jpg

I have had a couple odd noises over the last few years.

One when I was playing guitar without a strap, which I almost never do... Turns out the strap button on the upper bout was loose and was vibrating.

The other was when I learned the the push-in bar on my Gotoh 510T also threads on after being pushed in. If I pulled it out just a hair out would stop making this odd noise, but when pushed all the way in it was somehow interacting with the screw at the bottom of the socket... Once I noticed the end of the bar had a threaded hole and spun it a few times the problem was gone.

Both cases were making me crazy!

Good luck...

Took the trip to the closest (ex-) Ibanez authorized tech. He determined the relief looked good but action was too low, as were the bridge pins. He was royally swamped so I took it back home and did what I could to setup the guitar.

Ended up raising the bridge posts to get the saddle screws in a good position. Made my own fret radius with the string and a pencil Trick, intonated, and still having the issue but I think the issue is presenting itself a little better because I can clearly hear contact with the first fret. Maybe the nut slot is bad?

At this point I'm probably going to take the guitar to Guitar Center for diagnosis because it's the closest and usually the quickest turnaround. I really hope Marvin's still working there that guy was good

There isn't
I’d verify that the fret is properly seated first, but if the relief and action is where it should be, it sounds like a new nut should fix your issue.

Or you could do the baking soda/super glue trick and file a new slot. Or for even more ghetto, shim the nut.

I had a guitar with a nut slot cut too low and to verify that was the issue took a tiny bit of hi E string, laid it in the slot, then put the actual string over it. Raised the string just enough to verify that was the problem. Might be an easy way for you to verify as well, Alex.

Last edited:
What brand/type of string are you using? Is it Cobalts/NYXL/M-Steel by any chance? If yes, then maybe that's what is causing it. I had the same issue on a couple of Ibanez guitars where the sixth string (tuned to C) would do this kind of a pinging harmonic when chugging on the open string. The obvious workaround was using different string material. But since my guitar was equipped with the Edge/Edge Zero, stripping the winds on the saddle-side just enough to have the bit that locks into the saddle be only a plain string also solved the issue. Weird, I know but I literally pulled my hair out trying to solve this.

What brand/type of string are you using? Is it Cobalts/NYXL/M-Steel by any chance? If yes, then maybe that's what is causing it. I had the same issue on a couple of Ibanez guitars where the sixth string (tuned to C) would do this kind of a pinging harmonic when chugging on the open string. The obvious workaround was using different string material. But since my guitar was equipped with the Edge/Edge Zero, stripping the winds on the saddle-side just enough to have the bit that locks into the saddle be only a plain string also solved the issue. Weird, I know but I literally pulled my hair out trying to solve this.
Yeah, NYXLs. I'll have to try some nickel winds..

I was listening to different isolated tracks last night just to reference different guitar tones on the new monitors, I thought of this thread and chuckled at how things like this can drive us nuts.

Fast forward to 2:30 when the verse riff starts, it gets louder the closer to the chorus it gets

Yeah, NYXLs. I'll have to try some nickel winds..
Yeah I have the same issue with my Woody JEM tuned to E standard with 9-42 NYXLs. The D string does that weird ringing thing. The same guitar tuned to Drop C with EB Cobalts does this ringing on the lowest string. Using other materials gets rid of it. It was worse with Cobalts and M-Steels than with NYXLs, but Paradigms/Nickel wounds/Slinky solved it all. Had the same issue with fixed bridge Ibanez guitars. My Fender strat and tele don't have this issue, btw.

Back