Would I be crazy… (Matrix GT1000FX)

TubeStack

Shredder
… to run a MATRIX GT1000FX into my Mesa 120W Recto 2x12?

The Matrix would either be 325W or 1000W-bridged into 8 ohm.

The wattage situation worries me… but apparently it's okay if you don't crank it?

I already don't love using my ISP Stealth Pro at 180W into the Recto, but I don't go past 1 o'clock on the volume and it seems fine.

I run a pair of 2x12s loaded w V30 via matrix gt1000fx. Stereo w 500W per side.

No issues. Loud af

The Matrix attenuators sit about 230 on the dial. One to 3 o’clock seems to be the sweet spot.

IMG_0862.jpeg

What I would do is measure with an SPL meter the 90W Electra Dyne into that 2x12 cab at a loud volume, then with the same tone match the SPL volume reading with the Matrix at the same distance from the 2x12 and remember the volume knob position, that's your maximum.

I've run my 25W greenback loaded 2x12 with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 at band volume, in stereo, with no issues.

In my opinion you won't be able to crank it loud enough to cause issues, unless you play a very big and loud stage.

Hi Tubestack.

You'll be OK. If you're getting too loud the speakers will let you know it.

Own the GT1000FX. Really only use it for Wets in a rig, find them pretty cold and sterile with anything direct.

The volume rating is really a solid state one. I had the GT800fx (flipped it and ended up with 1000 version cheaper (y)). Cranked into 8 ohms a side was as loud as a 50w valve head - actually has a sweet spot about 1-2 O'clock - doesn't get any louder, just sounds shittier. The 1000 maybe more like a 100w head under the same conditions. I was using 8ohm loads, so that halves the power in SS. As you'd know, with a valve amp you're matching the impedance, so the power stays the same as long as you're matched.

SS power ratings are often plenty dubious. Part of the power ratings at times can be more about the power dissipation of the device (Transistor, MOSFET etc.) used in the output, not often perceivable in the actual output volume. 100w car stereo anyone? Might as well have a transistor radio.

For comparison, I have a pair of Marshall 8008 poweramps. They are rated at 80+80 watts. Jim's boys made an effort back in the day to somehow match the output rating of these amps with a guitarist's perception of what 80+80w is volume wise. I find them pretty close in volume to Matrix and sound a bit better. And feel a lot better.

If you run that GT1000FX in 1000 watt Bridged mode into a 120w cab, you're asking for trouble. If you crank it, you just might vaporize the damn thing.

Just run one side of the amp into the cab. It's perfectly safe for the amp to do that. At 325 watts, you're still risking the cab if you crank it but you'll have a bit more room to play with.

Last edited:
Was that using a single L or R out with Matrix's stereo setting? (ie. 325W into 8 ohms)

Or bridged mono into 8 ohms? (ie. 1000W into 8 ohms).

Thanks, dude.
Can't remember. Not a piece I am planning on returning to. Hopefully yours works out for you the way you want it:nails

Ok, so I just tried it at home with the Quad Cortex (no longer have FM9 from when I started this thread). First at 325W from one side on the stereo setting, and then bridged 1000W mono, both with the Matrix volume at one o’clock and using the QC amp level to control overall volume.

The Matrix actually has a signal light that starts blinking when it’s putting out 12.5% power, which is 120W in bridged mode, according to the manual. If it reaches 25% / 240W, the light stays solid. If it’s below 120W, it doesn’t light up at all.

I was able to get to my usual “loud home theatre” volume levels in bridged 1000W mode and the light didn’t flicker at all, so seems all good for home use.

Also seems like it should be fine at loud band levels with my 240W 4x12, which I’ll hopefully try this week. I’ll definitely keep an eye on that signal light, though.

(Sounds much better in bridged 1000W mode and more like the 90W Mesa I’m used to.)

One thing to be aware of is that high powered amps can push a lot more low frequency signal than smaller amps, including the really low stuff that will heat up a voice coil quickly. This is not too much of an issue at typical household volume levels where you would only be pushing maybe half a watt into your cabinet, but once you get up into louder decibel levels it can do damage to the speakers without you even realizing it's happening.

Back