World Cup Thread

England never had to get out of first gear.

USA played very well the first half but wasn’t able to create enough chances with their possession to put Wales out of their misery early. They ran out of legs in the second half as Wales turned up the pressure.

As for Qatar…. that goes without saying. I will enjoy the football despite the political undertones.
Yeah, I don't think the politics should ruin the athletic spectacle, but it feels like throwing the tournament into the middle of the season such that players basically flew straight to the tournament last minute to have a day or two training with the squad before play starts regardless of the politics around why that happened is likely to hamper the athletic spectacle on a sporting level? On the highlight reel it looked like the US failed to create chances because it was mostly down to individual players relying on raw talent rather than working within the framework of a team with an organized system for how to open up a defense and get the ball to players with space in dangerous positions.

Yup.

Blood Money! And lots of it.

Now we know FIFA hasn't learned anything, and is the same corrupt entity it has always been.
They will get into bed with anyone or anything so long as the $$$ are right. Integrity? Not much.

And Bravo to the Iranian National team for refusing to sing their own anthem. That was ballsy.

Just finished the FIFA Uncovered documentary. Deplorable group of people. Shame they govern the game, but I think sadly money and power corrupts all on the global stage.

The goal keeping is at a seriously high level so far! Keepers for Saudia Arabia and Japan (despite his giving of the penalty) definitely helped carry those teams to victory.

And holy smokes that second goal for Japan!

I think (personal opinion) that FIFAs team (a bunch of really old and wealthy men with no sense of either self respect or respect of anything else for that matter) greatly underestimated the majority of the world’s dissatisfaction with the whole thing… from build starts to finished “product”.

Football is what it is, and should not be political. But it becomes just that when players and clubs can’t protest because it would ruin them. Which of course also is sad, that it suddenly becomes a money thing when it’s not really the…. thing.

I pretty much recent it all, wouldn’t support it if I was a player.. or a fan.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m tired of seeing politics injected into entertainment. I just want to be entertained.

Futbol, movies, tv, whatever. It should be an escape not something we can’t escape from.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m tired of seeing politics injected into entertainment. I just want to be entertained.

Futbol, movies, tv, whatever. It should be an escape not something we can’t escape from.
I agree to a large extent. But basic math says there is more than one g*y player, not even getting into support staff, in these games, and FIFA is asking those folks to go to a country where just being the person they are lands them in jail for seven years. And for no other reason than because a few people's pockets got heavily lined to play these games here. When the politics isn't abstract, but is something felt by the players themselves...that's just a group standing up for themselves.

Missed the Japan game today. Big result. Nice to see the cup isn’t being entirely formful, though this isn’t a peak German cycle.

Tomorrows game slate looks tasty.

I’ve got to say it, I really like our squad. I hope they don’t tire out in the second half like against Wales, but this group of kids really plays a nice brand of football. They have some moments where I’m double taking it being a USA team. lol It’s no longer the long ball, dead ball, team of yesteryear.

England looking dangerous with every half chance they get, so I think it’s going to be nervy and come down to our legs. We’ll need a goal, and we can’t falter in energy.

Come on boys!

Good draw. Through 70 minutes we gave as good as we got. England’s firepower off the bench made it a little twitchy late, but we put up a good fight. We need a striker that can bury a half-chance.

Win and we’re in Tuesday. Let’s go!

Protest Iran GIF by GIPHY News

Ghana v South Korea was awesome. Fantastic match. Feel for SK, they always play with heart and high energy.

Looking forward to Portugal v Uruguay shortly.

Man that offsides was brutal. (Would like to see a replay of it) We needed that second goal.

Great first half. Need Pulisic to recover. Need to counter them into submission in the second half.

Whew.

We went WAY too defensive WAY too early.

We put in a shift though. Good group of kids. Give it their all.

Need Pulisic back for Saturday, or it’s going to be rough.

Back