Why the hard heads might be wrong about Blackstar modeling

Man I wish I'd have known about those months ago. I however now have OD pedals that absolutely tick all boxes for me but am still tempted to try one of the Blackstars. The HT Dual sp? I used to have was great.
I just bought a Dept. 10. Valve Boost to complete my Dual Drive/Distortion pedals. On sale, ought to be sweet….

I generally play with degreed engineers whose bass, drums and vocals are polished/produced. So I prefer a mastered/polished guitar sound to add to the mix. The result? A live sound that sounds like a finished track. The audience loves it.
Additionally it works in the bedroom and a neutral studio setting.
I wish amp manufacturers would add a three way switch for high end refinement.

Live
Studio
Bedroom

Other than the St. James and that would have to be sub fire sale for me to give it a go.
Me and my back are pretty happy with the el34 version.
…selling all else and get the 6l6 version for the other side of my stereo rig entered my mind….…but
…im good for a couple of years, and curious what other builders will go into analog/tube/light/cabsim packages…I mean..maybe future models come with a tray for your beer…don’t want to have my rig all sorted out when that hits the market.

• Love
Reactions: JT
My Blackstar journey:

Bought an HT100wtfever. Sounded bland no matter where the INF knob was set. Sold it. Looked at other things as stories of bad reliability hit combined with the fact that they don't provide schematics or have authorized service centers last I looked. So basically it's a marginal amp that can't get repaired if it s***s the bed. I don't have the energy to prove myself wrong with anything by them. Other than the St. James and that would have to be sub fire sale for me to give it a go.
I acquired the HT100 in a trade. One of, if not the worst amps I’ve owned, bland/sterile. Traded it for the low watt tweaker. Much better sounding amp imo

Reactions: JT
So ya purchase one of the cheapest offerings from a brand, and then somehow
that evolved into generalizing and extracting from that experience and applying
it to the entire brand itself.

Hmmmm.... sounds like totally rock solid logic to me.

It's like me saying, "Hey, I bought a Marshall MG series amp in the 1990s. It sucked. So, Marshall sucks!"
I know because I owned one once."

Last edited:
My Blackstar journey:

Bought an HT100wtfever. Sounded bland no matter where the INF knob was set. Sold it. Looked at other things as stories of bad reliability hit combined with the fact that they don't provide schematics or have authorized service centers last I looked. So basically it's a marginal amp that can't get repaired if it s***s the bed. I don't have the energy to prove myself wrong with anything by them. Other than the St. James and that would have to be sub fire sale for me to give it a go.
Very similar for me. The sheer number of people I saw on the Blackstar FB group with some variation of "... everything was fine then it suddenly (insert failure here) and now Blackstar won't answer my emails/tech support ticket/post on their forum..." was enough to keep me away after I sold my last one. Did buy an ID60TVP for my ex on a smoking deal at a pawn shop when she wanted an amp for her JemJr, and it was a nice little amp, but would never pick a Blackstar new when there are so many other reliable choices from Marshall, Mesa, Peavey, EVH, Jet City, Boss, etc...

So ya purchase one of the cheapest offerings from a brand, and then somehow
that evolved into generalizing and extracting from that experience and applying
it to the entire brand itself.

Hmmmm.... sounds like totally rock solid logic to me.

It's like me saying, "Hey, I bought a Marshall MG series amp in the 1990s. It sucked. So, Marshall sucks!"
I know because I owned one once."
It wasn't cheap. It was uninspiring though. Terrible resale value + terrible reputation for support + terrible tone = Why would I investigate anything else in their product line when I could just go buy a Boogie or 5150 of some sort? I know you got the one amp model of theirs that trips your trigger and I AM sincerely happy for you on that.

Back