Who Uses Side Fret Markers?

I never think about this, so I checked with my guitar. I seem to rely on the side markers a fair amount, especially when moving more than a few frets.

I could probably play a blank board if needed, but I couldn't skip the side dots.

I never think about this, so I checked with my guitar. I seem to rely on the side markers a fair amount, especially when moving more than a few frets.

I could probably play a blank board if needed, but I couldn't skip the side dots.
This was my surprising revelation as well!

I think most of us DO use the side markers, even if we don't realize it. It seems like it takes NOT having them to notice it.

I've had a couple of my "less visible" side markers guitars on darker stages, and let's just say, there were mistakes made, lol.
jazz music GIF

So d'you buy anything in Chicago?

Nope. Didn't even go to a Music Store. :idk It was fun just getting out of my head and my
own space, and allowing others to steer the ship for a bit. Ate some great food. Saw some
cool things. Mostly just spent time with the little bit of family I have left in this world. Felt good! :beer

My Aunt is not well (My Mom's Sister), and is on Hospice, so we will be making another trip
down that way coming up. :brick

I did spend an afternoon with my older Cousin who took up playing guitar at 50 and has a nice
stash now. I hadn't seen him in nearly 30 years. We shot the shit about gear and played a little.
He was working on a few songs I knew (like Refugee from Tom Petty) so that was fun to share.

Mostly use the side dots, Can't really see the fretboard markers the way I sit and stand when playing guitar. But I think they look nice from an aesthetic point of view. Could and have lived without fretboard markers and side dots only though. No fretboard markers also helps if you don't want other guitarists stealing your licks.
Same here. I use the side dots almost exclusively. However, fretboard markers are nice when trying to learn something. You can look at a video and see what fret they are on.

My custom 22 only has one dot on the side markers at the 12th fret, and that definitely throws me from time to time, especially if I've been playing other guitars more and switch to that one

Back