Who Uses Side Fret Markers?

Mostly use the side dots, Can't really see the fretboard markers the way I sit and stand when playing guitar. But I think they look nice from an aesthetic point of view. Could and have lived without fretboard markers and side dots only though. No fretboard markers also helps if you don't want other guitarists stealing your licks.

Here's me looking a side dots... Look Ma! No fret markers!
and that is a boss gt3 at my feet, ballin'

beershot.jpg

I can't remember a guitar I've played without side markers except for maybe a fretless Wishbass.

Fretboard markers I can live without or with as long as they're not gaudy.

Well…….I do this gig called Heavy Metal Harry. It is themed around children’s books of the same name. We go around to elementary schools and do a whole show about music, teamwork, inclusion and acceptance. We kinda take turns on who is going to be Harry. Harry is a big football mascot kinda getup that was very expensive to make.

So this huge mask/mascot thing is 1 very hot and 2 nearly impossible to see out of. This is where side markers come in handy. Your range of view is severely reduced. So for that gig, they’re invaluable.
IMG_0552.jpeg

Well…….I do this gig called Heavy Metal Harry. It is themed around children’s books of the same name. We go around to elementary schools and do a whole show about music, teamwork, inclusion and acceptance. We kinda take turns on who is going to be Harry. Harry is a big football mascot kinda getup that was very expensive to make.

So this huge mask/mascot thing is 1 very hot and 2 nearly impossible to see out of. This is where side markers come in handy. Your range of view is severely reduced. So for that gig, they’re invaluable. View attachment 25175
What I wanna know is how you play the guitar with those big mitts on.

I feel like i stare at the board markers. Never had a blank board before. I could train myself to use side dots though as I’ve got a good feel for position at this point. Also I really like luminlay side dots.

I don't pay much attention, if any, to the fretboard markers. The side markers though...

One thing I've run into lately is teaching riffs to bandmates. When using a guitar or bass without fret markers, it makes it tougher for them to easily tell what I'm playing - particularly in faster riffs and runs.

I always forget about that when playing my JEM. Other guitarist used to take forever figuring out what I was doing while I busted his balls about it then he’d remind me “I can’t tell what fucking flower shit I’m looking at!” :rofl

Playing live or standing up - absolutely use side fret markers as an "eyeball it" thing when needed.

Sitting in front of my DAW - gotta use top markers.

Muscle memory is great; but even then, it's too easy to accidentally slide up or down a fret. Especially if you're playing outside the Pentatonic Minor box. :ROFLMAO:

I always thought guitars without top fretboard markers on the neck looked unfinished. Like, they forgot to put the inlays in and shipped it anyways.

Like, they forgot to put the inlays in and shipped it anyways.
Probably how the first one came to be anyhow.

Then some bean-counter chimed in with, "And hey, we saved some money not putting them in, so let's do more of 'em that way. Plus, dem guitar nerds will prolly pay extra for it anyway! As in, It's a feature, not a bug."

What I wanna know is how you play the guitar with those big mitts on.
Would be impossible. The boots are HUGE and nearly impossible to walk in too. Whoever plays harry has to get walked out to the band by someone because he’d break his neck otherwise. But really it is a genius gig. Educational for the kids, PTA or school pays the bill and you’re playing for maybe 45 min on and off in 30 second intervals.

So this huge mask/mascot thing is 1 very hot and 2 nearly impossible to see out of. This is where side markers come in handy. Your range of view is severely reduced. So for that gig, they’re invaluable. View attachment 25175

Good on you, Bruce! :beer

Back