Who has ever seen the Milky Way?

I’m in NJ just across the Delaware River from Pike county Pa. which is in the Poconos.
I’m able to see the Milky Way in our rural area on most clear nights .
My ex and I used to ride our motorcycles to High Point State Park from SE Pennsylvania every year. Are you near there? Great park.

IMG_0237.jpeg

Don’t mention the ex …

control GIF
Maybe you could put a pork chop around the ex’s neck over here .
This is what’s left of a fawn killed by a bear in our backyard about a month ago.
I’ll pull the photos if it’s in poor taste.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Maybe you could put a pork chop around the ex’s neck over here .
This is what’s left of a fawn killed by a bear in our backyard about a month ago.
I’ll pull the photos if it’s in poor taste.
Closest I ever got to a bear was at High Point. Maybe 15 yards. He didn't even look up from whatever he was eating.

Anyone know if we are looking back in towards the center of the Milky Way, or out towards the edge?? :idk
I'm thinking that would depend on your location on Earth, and what season you're in. Iow, one should be able to see towards any part of the universe, assuming you were willing to plant yourself on which ever part of our planet you'd need to be on, facing away from the sun, to look in that direction.

Hmmmm..... Isn't our Planet always located in a specific place within the Milky Way, though? We may rotate
daily, and orbit the Sun seasonally, but the Earth doesn't move around within the Milky Way, does it? :idk

Hmmmm..... Isn't our Planet always located in a specific place within the Milky Way, though? We may rotate
daily, and orbit the Sun seasonally, but the Earth doesn't move around within the Milky Way, does it? :idk
Ah fuck it, my head's starting to hurt.

I guess if our entire solar system rotates w/i our galaxy, then we'd be able to view towards its center, and outward. But Idk.

I guess it also has to do with how the plane of our solar system is aligned wrt the galaxy, i.e., is it perpendicular towards one specific part of the galaxy? And if so, does that ever change?

I'm going back to my playing. My brain is smoking.

This seems to jive with what I'm thinking:

However, as our planet rotates, the galaxy also moves across the sky, and so does its core — the Galactic Center — the brightest and most spectacular part. And sometimes, the core disappears from our view.

Here are things you need to know to get the best of the Milky Way and the Galactic Center:

• The Galactic Center is located in the constellation Sagittarius and like the constellation, it can be visible only from latitudes between +55º and -90º. If you live above +55º latitude, you won't see the Galactic Center! You’ll catch only part of the core, and the best time is before and after summer.
  • From the Northern Hemisphere, the Galactic Center is visible from March to October.
  • From the Southern Hemisphere, the core is visible from February to October.
  • The Milky Way’s core isn’t visible for the rest of the months around the world because, during this time, it’s located too close to the Sun.
  • From the southern latitudes, the observation conditions are better as the peak of visibility there happens in winter when the nights are longer and darker.
  • At the beginning of its visibility season, the Galactic Center can be seen shortly before sunrise. Over time, it becomes visible for a longer period each night and reaches its peak in June-July. During these months, the core is visible all night long.
  • You need a truly dark place free of light pollution. These tools will help you to find such a place: NASA's Blue Marble, International Dark Sky locations, Dark Site Finder. Or find the closest observatory — they’re always located in dark sites.
  • The skies should be cloudless and clear. You can use an astronomy app with a stargazing forecast that indicates observational conditions. For example, Sky Tonight — it’s free and works without an internet connection.
  • The Moon phase is vital. A new Moon is ideal, as it doesn’t interfere with observations.
  • If you plan to photograph the Milky Way and its core, use tools to visualize the galaxy’s position in the sky over time. Our advice is the Ephemeris app, which predicts Milky Way visibility, its core’s exact position, and more. Ephemeris also helps to quickly find and check the detailed information about the Sun, the Moon, and the Milky Way for any date, time, and place.

Back