Who has ever seen the Milky Way?

fretworn

Rock Star
Many times here … been a while though now.

I have a great western sky view, but there is too much light pollution to see the Milky Way.

I’ve seen the last few comets with my naked eyes (and we have lots of optics laying around), but the Milky Way is something far more grand.

The best I’ve ever experienced is at high altitude, (9000 feet or higher ie Colorado Rockies). JFM!

Have you seen it?

Light pollution is one of life's great unspoken tragedies. People be scared. And we light up those
damn football field size parking lots all night even when no one is present. :facepalm

I have been blessed to live in a remote area most of my adult life (by choice) and have seen many
wonderful things in the Night Sky, including the distant edge of the Galaxy we are apparently inside
of somewhere. :beer

It's cool seeing it rotate, or us rotate in relation to the outer edge. Pleiades is my favourite Constellation.

Yes when camping out here in the Rockies like you said. I want to get out to Westcliffe this summer as it’s a recognized dark sky community and supposed to be one of the darkest in the world. I’ve only been up that way during the day time

There’s something weirdly spooky/meta about the Pleiades. Been high on my star gazing radar since childhood.

We have a song in progress that my bass player is writing called Pleiades. It’s in 7 because we’re nerds :LOL:

How many cultures is in a ton? :LOL:

This Summer has been awful for Night Sky viewing. Chronic and consistent haze, and not from
all the pot smoking going on here. Oh, Canada. :clint

I was big into nighttime photography for a few years. Those long exposures in low light conditions
are fun. Caught the Aurora Borealis a few times.

Something I would like to get back into.

yeah, I've spent some time in N. Ontario, and have a toehold in one of the few places in the US east of the Mississippi with no detectable light pollution. After having grown up in an urban area, still makes me catch my breath. That said, because of the latitude, summer night skies aren't entirely dark, and I understand that in the dead of winter it's much more spectacular. And I've only been in such ares in late spring or summer.

Haven't had the pleasure. Going to the Atacama desert in Chile for stargazing is on the bucket list.

1689280841597.png

Twice that I can remember. Once parked on the tallest hill in the city on a clear day with good visibility, once camping over 10 years ago. If it weren't for my wife I wouldn't even bother to look up.

Back