Where are all the used 7 string guitars?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
During the pandemic we saw the supply chain craziness of used Fender Squiers selling for above the new price of Strats, even some of the upper tier ones, as just one tiny example.

At the beginning of lockdown, craigslist and facebook marketplace were being emptied of all sorts of products, including music gear by special gear purchasers and brokers. We had nearly all of our about to be thrown away junk at our music school bought by one of these people. I've seen stories from all over the world, and know of some cases here of these piles of gear going into giant barge style moving containers and being shipped off to who knows where. Here on Oahu, many of these containers were abandoned at Sand Island, and were mostly heat damaged, warped, salted junk by the time they went up for auction. Others famously fell into the sea here and in other countires.

But surely most of these containers reached wherever they were meant to right? I expected there to be some new giant reverb stores or something selling all this gear, but no, its a desert! What seems to be left are used seven strings for a higher price than better models than they were new. Or buy new, made in indonesia stuff for nearly twice the price of what the apex Korean made guitars (even of the same model) cost just 3 years before.

I know I say 7 string guitars, but there's so much other used gear that just disappeared. 8 Channel to ADAT mic preamps. Xair 18's and X32's. Dynamic mics.

Is there a crazy market somewhere that I haven't found yet?

I got the thirst for a 7 string last year and was able to snag a PRS SE Custom 24 7 string for $550. I still see them pop up on reverb regularly but maybe you’re looking for something more specific

I got the thirst for a 7 string last year and was able to snag a PRS SE Custom 24 7 string for $550. I still see them pop up on reverb regularly but maybe you’re looking for something more specific
There are many on Reverb, but entire chunks of the market are missing. The craziest to me is the lack of Agiles. Those things were selling like hotcakes and used to be regularly on the used market as well. Bolt on ESPs, I don't think I've seen one on Reverb in 5 years. Most of what's on reverb are selling for double their new price, or are in the higher priced range new

Last edited:
76a46102-c9c8-46f5-901e-5da6215d9aa2_text.gif

17251277327631008130654203240006.jpg

I've been playing my Intrepid more lately :guiness

Back