When is it a good idea to take used gear to Guitar Center

I got a bunch of pedals that I didn't really want in a package deal a while back. Lots of gain pedals that I'll just never use. I've heard that Lovepedal has a pretty good fan base but I've listed these online and offered them for trade with no bites. I'm thinking of just taking them all and dumping them on the counter at Guitar Center and letting them deal with not being able to sell them.

I've heard that they offer a discount on new products if you bring in gear for trade, is this still true? I'm probably going to get a HX Stomp if they still do this.

Should I remove the dual lock from the bottom or do they not care about that?

It all depends.

Generally, GC will give you roughly 60-ish% of what they will list your trade-in item(s) for, and then they knock 10% off of the new REGULAR selling price of the new item you are targeting (usually, there will be no additional discount on used or on-sale items). So, you will have to figure out if what they offer in trade plus the 10% off the new item would be close enough to offset what you would get for an online sale, minus listing fees, shipping, and the overall aggravation of the process. Or, let’s say the new item IS discounted; sometimes it’s worth not getting the 10% off.

I have done a few trade-in deals at GC figuring in the last two points I made above. Most recently (a few months ago), I got a brand-new out-of-the-box ‘50s LP Standard in oxblood listed for a sale price of $1999, which was like $800 off the regular price. That’s a LOT more of a discount than the standard 10% discount that would have otherwise applied. My trade bait would have gotten me maybe about $1000-1100 net if I would have gone through the aggravation of selling online. They offered me $800 on the spot. Doing all of the math, I was more than happy to do that trade without any hassle.

It all depends.

Generally, GC will give you roughly 60-ish% of what they will list your trade-in item(s) for, and then they knock 10% off of the new REGULAR selling price of the new item you are targeting (usually, there will be no additional discount on used or on-sale items). So, you will have to figure out if what they offer in trade plus the 10% off the new item would be close enough to offset what you would get for an online sale, minus listing fees, shipping, and the overall aggravation of the process. Or, let’s say the new item IS discounted; sometimes it’s worth not getting the 10% off.

I have done a few trade-in deals at GC figuring in the last two points I made above. Most recently (a few months ago), I got a brand-new out-of-the-box ‘50s LP Standard in oxblood listed for a sale price of $1999, which was like $800 off the regular price. That’s a LOT more of a discount than the standard 10% discount that would have otherwise applied. My trade bait would have gotten me maybe about $1000-1100 net if I would have gone through the aggravation of selling online. They offered me $800 on the spot. Doing all of the math, I was more than happy to do that trade without any hassle.
I’m going to try to bring a few extra pedals so that maybe I’ll walk out with no charges on my Gear Card. Thanks.

Do they care if there is Velcro or Dual lock on the pedal?

brand-new out-of-the-box ‘50s LP Standard in oxblood
Leonardo Dicaprio Leo GIF

Do they care if there is Velcro or Dual lock on the pedal?

While my occasional OCD would have me ripping it off, I don’t think it makes much of a difference - especially seeing that some people don’t even clean up their dirty-looking crap they bring in (and the overall lack-of-giveashititis that GC employees have in wiping anything down afterwards).

I bet they'll tell you they don't even want them right now. Unless it's something rare/semi-rare.

There's simply a huge over-supply of used gear on the market atm, and hardly any buyers.

Edit: Or, they'll give you say, 10% off a new purchase (over a certain threshold) to make it seem as if they factored in your pedals, but you could've gotten that same discount without them. Or possibly even more, since the market is so soft.

If there's something you're interested in, I'd research what amount of discount you can get, before you mention your pedals. Same as how you (should) negotiate a new car purchase.

Around here they'll only give you 40-50% of what they're gonna list it for...

Kinda sucks but sometimes worth while if you don't wanna deal with the hassle of trying/waiting to sell yourself. I would avoid taking a higher end guitar but some pedals? ehhh.... :idk

What I'll usually do if I'm considering taking something in to GC is just list somewhere in between that 40% point and what the market used price is. Usually works out, quick sale happens, a real person gets a good deal, and you get slightly less effed in the A than taking it to guitar center

But a large grouping of pedals you dont want might be worthwhile to just take it in. I'd check if theres any used gear stores in the area too, we have one around here that gives you marginally more than GC does most of the time

I got a bunch of pedals that I didn't really want in a package deal a while back. Lots of gain pedals that I'll just never use. I've heard that Lovepedal has a pretty good fan base but I've listed these online and offered them for trade with no bites. I'm thinking of just taking them all and dumping them on the counter at Guitar Center and letting them deal with not being able to sell them.

I've heard that they offer a discount on new products if you bring in gear for trade, is this still true? I'm probably going to get a HX Stomp if they still do this.

Should I remove the dual lock from the bottom or do they not care about that?
Pedals/modelers used to be my "nah, I'll sell those myself" point where a lot of other stuff I'd do at GC. But lately, those go to GC, too. Mine consistently gives me what I expect, and what I expect is 60% of what reasonable listings on on Reverb/GC-used are. I've never gone in and had a number thrown back at me that surprised me on the low side. I've never had them turn away pedals. In the last couple months I've sold an FM3, a Stomp, a Synergy rack system, an electric guitar, a couple pedals. The headache of waiting for stuff to sell, the fees/shipping hassles...I'll gladly take a little less for a cash-in-my-hand-with-no-haggling transaction.

The 10% off is something that you'd more than likely be able to get out of them without too much work otherwise, its definitely used more as a "hey, you've got cash in your pocket now and maybe weren't thinking of buying something, but now that you've got cash in hand, and I offer you 10% off, you might do something stupid!" salesman tactic. I've never noticed a difference in what they've offered me whether I've told them I was shopping for something or not.

Six of the pedals were given to me and the other six I hadn't touched in 2 years.

When he said, "I can only offer you $700," he looked down in shame. He looked shocked and wide eyed when I said "Let's do it!" :rofl I had only figured $680 for them according to what you guys said earlier.

The 10% off for trade in was $630 and the sale price on the unit was $649.99. I think it all worked out in my favor.

Six of the pedals were given to me and the other six I hadn't touched in 2 years.

When he said, "I can only offer you $700," he looked down in shame. He looked shocked and wide eyed when I said "Let's do it!" :rofl I had only figured $680 for them according to what you guys said earlier.

The 10% off for trade in was $630 and the sale price on the unit was $649.99. I think it all worked out in my favor.
That was at GC? I'm glad I was wrong! Seriously, since it means the economy ain't quite as bad as I thought. :beer

Back