Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Well its not a Monkey

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Stone

Rock Star
Just curious to see what you all use and prefer
By all means this is not X is better than y and Y is better than Z
All modelers can sound great and really its individual preference for one's needs
For me its Helix, great tone to my ears, good choice of amps and effects, GUI & eco system, community and great company from my point of view

Part of me has sort of lusted to try Fractal for a while, but my Helix LT really has no deficiencies that would motivate me to cobble together the extra $$ to make the switch. So for the foreseeable future I'm in the Line 6 club.

I've got a few different setups.

Fractal FM3 for all-in-one modeling. They just have the best combination of amp modeling, effects, quality, and power for my needs. I wish the UI was a bit easier and wish they had better code/release management but what can you do. I think next year I want to sell my FM3 and get an Axe FX 3 again, this time integrated into a studio desk. I use it 100% of the time sitting on a desk or table. Already have an FC-12.

Line 6 HX Stomp XL on a side board with a Strymon Iridium. I guess it's weird to use two different modelers at once but it does something different, which is to have amp modeling with physical knobs, and then flexible effects. I like but don't love the setup...I could see swapping out the XL for a standard sized Stomp to save space on the board, and I'm intrigued by the Walrus ACS-1 which is supposed to sound brighter and more open than the Strymon in a more compact pedal.

I don't like the Line 6 modeling as much all-in-one. There's something a little annoying about the amp tones that I can't put my finger on, like a little bit of a push in the upper mids/highs. But the effects are really nice all around. Workflow is great. I've had the big Helix a few times but sonically I just prefer the Fractal (even if it's not perfect there either).

I also use plugins from time to time, and enjoy the Neural DSP stuff for simplicity. I've got the Plini, Soldano, and Petrucci ones. I like the first two a lot and while I like the Petrucci effects don't like the core tones as much. I'll probably pick up the Tone King during the BF sale, maybe another one as well. Really wish I could mix and match within one console rather than multiple instances in a DAW but what can you do.

I've tried Kemper twice and didn't like the workflow or effects. I wish there was an updated version with a much better UI and integration with computer. Even then, I didn't love the profile concept. Can sound amazing but can also sound horrible. There's a little mid push there too but in a pleasing way where Line 6 is more grating.

Curious about Quad Cortex but not tempted yet. Price is way too high and I don't trust them yet.

Tried Headrush a few times and it's not bad but just a couple steps below the big dogs IMO.

Same for Boss, tried a couple GT-1000 pedals and they aren't bad but not at the same level as the others.

No interest in the really cheap modelers anymore.

Currently Fractal (FM9 Turbo) and Helix (HX Stomp XL).

But not together. Stomp is my “backup” and ultra-portable options. FM9 is my primary go-to.

I've got a few different setups.

Fractal FM3 for all-in-one modeling. They just have the best combination of amp modeling, effects, quality, and power for my needs. I wish the UI was a bit easier and wish they had better code/release management but what can you do. I think next year I want to sell my FM3 and get an Axe FX 3 again, this time integrated into a studio desk. I use it 100% of the time sitting on a desk or table. Already have an FC-12.

Line 6 HX Stomp XL on a side board with a Strymon Iridium. I guess it's weird to use two different modelers at once but it does something different, which is to have amp modeling with physical knobs, and then flexible effects. I like but don't love the setup...I could see swapping out the XL for a standard sized Stomp to save space on the board, and I'm intrigued by the Walrus ACS-1 which is supposed to sound brighter and more open than the Strymon in a more compact pedal.

I don't like the Line 6 modeling as much all-in-one. There's something a little annoying about the amp tones that I can't put my finger on, like a little bit of a push in the upper mids/highs. But the effects are really nice all around. Workflow is great. I've had the big Helix a few times but sonically I just prefer the Fractal (even if it's not perfect there either).

I also use plugins from time to time, and enjoy the Neural DSP stuff for simplicity. I've got the Plini, Soldano, and Petrucci ones. I like the first two a lot and while I like the Petrucci effects don't like the core tones as much. I'll probably pick up the Tone King during the BF sale, maybe another one as well. Really wish I could mix and match within one console rather than multiple instances in a DAW but what can you do.

I've tried Kemper twice and didn't like the workflow or effects. I wish there was an updated version with a much better UI and integration with computer. Even then, I didn't love the profile concept. Can sound amazing but can also sound horrible. There's a little mid push there too but in a pleasing way where Line 6 is more grating.

Curious about Quad Cortex but not tempted yet. Price is way too high and I don't trust them yet.

Tried Headrush a few times and it's not bad but just a couple steps below the big dogs IMO.

Same for Boss, tried a couple GT-1000 pedals and they aren't bad but not at the same level as the others.

No interest in the really cheap modelers anymore.
Very Nice well detailed
I myself would like a Fractal as well because slightly different and something new, I would not sell my Helix though
My Ideal setup would be Helix rack and FC and Axe FXIII with FC and 1 Expression Pedal
But one can only dream
:grin

Very Nice well detailed
I myself would like a Fractal as well because slightly different and something new, I would not sell my Helix though
My Ideal setup would be Helix rack and FC and Axe FXIII with FC and 1 Expression Pedal
But one can only dream
:grin

My dream would be a rack with an Axe 3, preamp like a Demeter TGP-3 or Synergy with Friedman BE and Morgan AC modules, plus a stereo power amp. Controls would be FC-12 and expression pedal. And a pair of 2x12 cabs with V30 and greenbacks. Super flexible and programmable.

Part of me has sort of lusted to try Fractal for a while, but my Helix LT really has no deficiencies that would motivate me to cobble together the extra $$ to make the switch. So for the foreseeable future I'm in the Line 6 club.

I borrowed an AXE FXIII for a month and also owned an FM3. In the end I stuck with my Helix LT. FAS lack of a good poly pitch block, FM3 lack of switches and exp pedal and familiarity with the Helix eco system and editing were my main reason. I did think the FAS stuff sounded a little better but as a working musician my chief concern isn't tone believe it or not. I do have a valid invite for FM9 Turbo and I may take advantage of it but I am waiting on the new HX Firmware before I decide.

@JiveTurkey has teased me about this before but I believe an "all in one" should be an "all in one" and thats why my backup is a Headrush MX5. The exp pedal is tiny but it works. I have it all set and ready to be gigged if I need it. I hate having to use outboard gear with something that is supposed to cover everything. Adding failure points (why I didnt go full Helix) is something I try to avoid. As someone who was an IT Field Technician for 20 years I look at things different than most. I looked at the Helix and immediately saw all those scribble strips as extra failure points. Turned out well because I do not need 4 fx loops and I can see the virtual scribbles on the LT much better than the full Helix scribbles.

Last edited:
I love the amp feel/response and Performance footswitch mode of Kemper, the routing flexibility and amp clarity/detail of Fractal, and the effects and interface of Line 6.

If I could somehow combine those I would be very happy.

Helix Floor for me.
Bought it in 2017 and never felt the need to buy a different product.
I'd love to buy an FM9 but I honestly can't justify the price.

I've never tried a Fractal product or any other modern modeller.
I've used a Kemper few times for studio work.

Just curious to see what you all use and prefer
By all means this is not X is better than y and Y is better than Z

If You Say So Patrick GIF by VTM.be

I currently only use FAS.

Other aspects of my demographic that may interest you in your research, Mr. @Stone:

I use silk sheets on my beds, or occasionally Egyptian cotton with a very high thread count.

I also own a cat. He's called Ponsonby. The cat's breed is a name that you won't have heard of.

Last edited:
Back