What's your "litmus test" for a modeler?

metropolis_4

Shredder
For me it's two things:

1. Vox AC15/30 models at the edge of breakup
2. Marshall Plexi models at clean settings

I feel like the way a modeler handles those two tones tells me everything I need to know about whether I'll like it or not. For me, those are the two sounds so many seem to struggle with. They often sound like exaggerated caricatures of the real thing with the Plexi models having way too much gain that comes on too fast, and the AC models being way too boxy without the right EQ or response.

1) Does it sound convincing when I record it with a full mix
2) Does it sound brutal as hell when I play it loud with a drummer
3) Does it survive a 3 story balcony fall better than a Nintendo GameCube?

What's the first sound you go to that tells you if it's going to sound convincing in a mix and brutal with a loud drummer?

Being able to go past the front panel of an amp for tweaking.

While I don’t venture past that front panel stuff often, I do like playing with the sag because there’s a lot in that area that’ll change how an amp feels. Mainly though, if I can’t tweak my way out of something from the front panel, I want to be able to jump in there are hit up Impedance Curves or something around that area to make something fit in a mix without touching IR’s.

If it can do spanky Fender cleans, Plexi type edge of breakup and Mesa/Peavey pre-amp gain, I’m good to go!

I don't have specific amps I test. Some days I think the SLO model is all I need. Other days it's the Friedman BE, or something 5150ish. If I can get a few different flavours of high gain to swap between as the music dictates or as my tastes fluctuate, I'm good.

My litmus test is whether I can easily dial in a tone I like in a few different styles and add/swap effects quickly. I want to focus on playing more than tweaking, but when I want to get into sound design, I want to be able to do it quickly so I can get back to whatever I was playing.

More specifically, my litmus test for future devices is whether it sounds at least as good as my Helix and is at least as easy to use.

1. Sounds good without a bunch of hoop jumping.
2. Easy to get around on and configure for stage use.

I have used all of this stuff long enough to be able to work around "deficiencies" in either of these areas; but having this ability out of the gate never hurts.

What's the first sound you go to that tells you if it's going to sound convincing in a mix and brutal with a loud drummer?
Different models with different units really. Next gen isn’t always better. Case in point, I liked the Treadplate model better on the HD500 than on the Helix. On the Helix, the only amp models I really got along with were the Rev and the Badonk. I thought i was nuts or just couldn’t dial it in right until one day I was watching Ola and he said the only model he liked on the HX was the Badonk, so I felt somewhat vindicated.

Fractal, the IIC++ model, based off of James Hetfield’s own amp (I believe, correct me if I’m wrong) is simply earth-shattering on the Axe FX II or III. The Engl Savage model is amazing too. Fractal is hit or miss with me on a lot of their models. The Mesa TC model sounds wooly and flat to me compared to the real amp, and I have to struggle to dial in their recto tones a bit to get them to match the sound of the real amps, but ultimately you can’t beat the Fractal amp modeling IMO, overall.

Long story short, crank it up, dial it in, does it “djungk” (sounds way better than djent IMO).

Signal path flexibility along with whatever tools are necessary to create the sounds I want, along with a viable computer editor, are my top priorities. If the tools are there, I don't care if it takes just an amp block or an amp block plus drive, compression, EQ, etc. Once the sound/feel is there, a modeler is just a box you plug your guitar into that produces a line-level signal you amplify and/or record, and it makes no difference how many virtual blocks are in the signal path.

It helps to be able to use all the tools; that's never been a problem for me. It also makes a yuuge difference what you use to amplify a modeler. Those issues exist independent of the choice of modeler, however.

For me it's two things:

1. Vox AC15/30 models at the edge of breakup
2. Marshall Plexi models at clean settings

I feel like the way a modeler handles those two tones tells me everything I need to know about whether I'll like it or not. For me, those are the two sounds so many seem to struggle with. They often sound like exaggerated caricatures of the real thing with the Plexi models having way too much gain that comes on too fast, and the AC models being way too boxy without the right EQ or response.

1. The lack of high-frequency crackle and artificial sounding digital fizz.
2. Responsiveness to volume and my own touch from the guitar. Must. Be. Responsivenes. Big one!
3. Latency must be a non-issue.

If it says Fractal on it… send it back and let me know when the next-gen is out.

For me, it’s being able to nail Marshall tones like EVH and Dave Navarro. And something really high gain that is sweet.

Along with power amp compression and sweet cabs/IR’s/loading.

If it says Fractal on it… send it back and let me know when the next-gen is out.

For me, it’s being able to nail Marshall tones like EVH and Dave Navarro. And something really high gain that is sweet.

Along with power amp compression and sweet cabs/IR’s/loading.
If you like Marshall amps and don’t like it when amplifiers spontaneously catch fire or blow transformers for no reason, have you checked out Friedman amps? :D

Not sure where this is coming from, but I'd wager it's not from direct experience with vintage Marshalls.
Yes, the spontaneously catching fire and blowing transformers part is missing from the Friedman and modeling experience to be sure. Why can’t they capture the speaker blowing stage fire experience? We may never know. Perhaps experience profiles are the answer. Every so often a modeler would catch fire, blow your speakers or stop working altogether and need to be sent to a tech… Won’t that be the day?

From the context of choosing which one to buy, prior to having ever used one, for me it was:

Who else is using it?
What do users say who own now, or have owned in the recent past, modelers of the various brands I was considering.

It came down to Helix or Axe Fx III, and from there I scoured the forums to help me decide. And I watched a few YT videos, but with a grain of salt.

Knowing what I know now, it would primarily come down to quality of the sound, and I'm really content in that area with the Axe III.

From the context of choosing which one to buy, prior to having ever used one, for me it was:

Who else is using it?
What do users say who own now, or have owned in the recent past, modelers of the various brands I was considering.

It came down to Helix or Axe Fx III, and from there I scoured the forums to help me decide. And I watched a few YT videos, but with a grain of salt.

Knowing what I know now, it would primarily come down to quality of the sound, and I'm really content in that area with the Axe III.
The AxeFx III is no doubt king of the hill. But those days IMO are numbered. Either Fractal will raise the bar with AxeFX IV or other competitors will creep in to that product space cheaper and with individual differentiators. Form factor is important too.
Not everyone wants a two-space rack mount and I’m not convinced the FM3 or FM9 are as good as the flagship. I could be wrong on the FM9. But at $1700 there’s a lot of room for competition. Neural is just one. What could Boss, NUX, Atomic, Line 6 and others offer for $1500? Seems to me like a lot… Moonshot Modeling stuff. Bring it I say.

Back