What's your "litmus test" for a modeler?

For me it’s the amp tones

I like a lot of clarity and articulation
On my gain tones

Attack - is the attack there on the low can it be percussive when playing fast staccato runs or does the low end smear

Harmonics and sustain
Can you get pinch harmonics and squeals leaping off the fretboard
Do the natural harmonics ring out over the frets
Can you do tapped harmonics like EVH
When I hold a note will it Sustain or with light vibrato w it go into natural feed back

Dynamics with volume roll off

I am sure there are others but those are the main initial things I look for pretty much the same as I look for in a real tube amp

The AxeFx III is no doubt king of the hill. But those days IMO are numbered.
If you assume they're KOTH, which to be fair, not all agree..., as long as they continue pushing and don't let up, as others try to gain ground, Fractal is still moving forward. So it's not gonna be easy.

Their service is exemplary, and lots of people know it. Hell, Cliff even came onto the forum while someone was at his gig having troubles. I believe that is extremely rare, and it's the type of stuff that leaves a lasting impression. Plus, they listen to their customers.

I don't know to what level other companies do the same sorts of things FAS does, but they seem to regard their customers very, very highly, and are doing many things quite well.

If you assume they're KOTH, which to be fair, not all agree..., as long as they continue pushing and don't let up, as others try to gain ground, Fractal is still moving forward. So it's not gonna be easy.

Their service is exemplary, and lots of people know it. Hell, Cliff even came onto the forum while someone was at his gig having troubles. I believe that is extremely rare, and it's the type of stuff that leaves a lasting impression. Plus, they listen to their customers.

I don't know to what level other companies do the same sorts of things FAS does, but they seem to regard their customers very, very highly, and are doing many things quite well.
I agree on the company but my experience with their forums and customer user base that posts there is that regulars sometimes lean toward fanatical cultists who live to tell you to RTFM and You‘re doing it Wrong. It’s an our Redeemer Will Save Us CF. IMO, sooner rather than later Fractal will be forced to move beyond Turbo, Turbo Plus or Turbo Extreme. I hope that leap is game changing not only in modeling but UI as well.

I agree on the company but my experience with their forums and customer user base that posts there is that regulars sometimes lean toward fanatical cultists who live to tell you to RTFM and You‘re doing it Wrong. It’s an our Redeemer Will Save Us CF. IMO, sooner rather than later Fractal will be forced to move beyond Turbo, Turbo Plus or Turbo Extreme. I hope that leap is game changing not only in modeling but UI as well.
I think the next gen Fractal will definitely be a very different UI
I think they are aware that is one weakness they have and it will be addressed sometime
The problem is they are a small company and they are likely in the middle in the current lifespan of the Axe 3 and FM series

My guess is the next product you will see if FM3 turbo mostly out of necessity as they will run out of 450 hz chips and switch to the 500hz

For me is the 5150 and JCM800.
edit:
My presets are usually quite empty.
A good core amp sound with a good IR and I'm 90% there.
/edit

I have a question in the same spirit;

What do you think will "immortalize" a modeler?
Basically, what will make a modeler just as useful in 30 years as it is now without wanting and long after the support has stopped, assuming the hardware remained in pristine condition.

Last edited:
plexi or 2204/03.
I never got that out of the Helix after three years,
:confused:
Yeah, Marshalls are not the strong side of Helix at all.
All they have to do is model stock 1987x and JCM800 they can buy just about anywhere today, and forget about Marshall complaints once and for all.
Sometimes I think Line 6 just hates "normal" Marshalls, almost like they intentionally search for the beat-up and modified ones to model.

I will say that all of the modellers have there good points but the fractal is the closest to what I like and mentioned above

To me it has the best harmonics and dynamics endless sustain and a really nice top end. It’s fun to play as the feel is a bit rounder softer compressed , if there is one complaint it is the low strings and the attack transients . The lows seems to compress much more than the real amp and the sharpness of the pick attack and definition can start to smear a bit
Other than that it’s an amazing unit

On the other hand and not surprising due to their more metal clientele he QC does a slightly better job at handling the low end attack of high gain tones , it shines in getting a nice defined pick attack on the low strings
It’s is also very dynamic and will sustain and go into natural feedback easily so the highs and lows I think Neural got right
If anything it just isn’t as rich in the midrange or complex

The Helix lows to me without eq
Are looser boomy and smear pretty easily the overall tone is good but again not as complex and detailed as the Fractal , top end is good as is sustain and dynamics , we will have to see what changes in 3.2 but now that’s my thoughts

My 2 cents

What do you think will "immortalize" a modeler?
Basically, what will make a modeler just as useful in 30 years as it is now without wanting and long after the support has stopped, assuming the hardware remained in pristine condition.

I don't know that I want there to be anything. I hope in 30 years the stuff we have is so much better than what we have now that there's no way I'd want to still be using it. I want to see things keep evolving and moving forward.

Jokes aside, what I need are great Marshalls with good cleanup. Need that punchy "kerrang" from a cranked plexi or 2204/03.
I never got that out of the Helix after three years, found it within 5 minutes with the Axe III. Sealed the deal for me.

Ah, no wonder you love the AxeFX :)

It changes for me. Currently I have to have the expression pedal on unit AND be able to run separate paths for my hybrid set up. As far as amp models go I am on a Mesa Mark IV and Recto kick.

no-money-wallet.gif

Plug in.
Play low drop-C palm mute.
Listen and feel response.
Reject if it is shit.

Most everything else I can deal with.

#1 is a cranked Plexi tone. It should sound aggressive and saturated, but when I roll the guitar back it should clean up really well. If I can go from near-EVH levels on 10 down to AC/DC on 6 and cleans on 3, that's ideal. Also, the amp shouldn't sound overly bright, dark, thin, or mushy.

#2 is adding some effects to the core amp tone (chorus, delay, reverb) in a way that makes the amp sound bigger and more exciting. I want a reverb that adds space, delay that adds interest, chorus that adds depth. Not effects that sound tinny or like a bad flanger.

After that, it's more variety in amps and cabs, and overall ease and enjoyment of use.

1. Work well in 4cm as that is still my main use.
2. Great modulations and delays.
3. Great Mesa and Marshall amp models.

So far, the FM9T is perfect for all of the above.

Back