What pedal changed your life?

fretworn

Rock Star
For me … beyond my budget, but bought at a pawn store in the 80s. Really into Pat Metheny at the time as well as all the alt rock stuff going on.
04-ABA6-E4-2672-4-D9-C-87-FF-989-A3-AAE3-D70.jpg
FWIW- The only time I ever really used to lean over and fiddle with the knobs in RT to get bizarre sounds out of the delay.

My favorite pedal of all time? The OCD. 🤯

Talk about a sexy pick. lol

It’s my favorite No-gain/Max-volume overdrive for tightening up high gain amps.

Also the most consistent option for me when looking for pedal distortion over clean channels.

I’ve bought a bunch of bougie pedals, but at just over a bill, the OCD always punches way over its weight and finds a way onto my board.

(The Deco is a very close second)

The BL if anything "needs" a pedal to loosen it up a bit. Tight AF by default. I like this EQD stuff and might dig around a bit more in that realm \m/

The Fuzz Face, my uncle gave me EJ’s Total Electric Guitar VHS when I was 11 and just started playing, it begins and ends with EJ just doing his thing and at the end there’s a point where he switches to a Dumble and then steps on this light blue/tealish Fuzz Face. The sound that comes out of that amp blew my fucking mind, the whole thing; stepping on these mysterious switches and cool looking pedals and the sound coming out. It’s exactly what turned me into a gear nerd, too.

I barely knew what I was doing, I only had a guitar for about 6 months at that point. I obviously wasn’t burning through EJ runs back then :D, but it had me thinking about tones really early on. I’m just as in love with the sound of guitars as I am the notes they play and I’m glad that happened so quickly. (Still took me years to not sound like shit though)

Still haven’t heard many tones that rival these, it’s the Ah Via Musicom rig but solo’s and mic’d perfectly. This is the intro to that vid, the outro with the Fuzz Face isn’t on YouTube. It’s an outstanding instructional video, it’s on his site on DVD now.

The Fuzz Face, my uncle gave me EJ’s Total Electric Guitar VHS when I was 11 and just started playing, it begins and ends with EJ just doing his thing and at the end there’s a point where he switches to a Dumble and then steps on this light blue/tealish Fuzz Face. The sound that comes out of that amp blew my f*****g mind, the whole thing; stepping on these mysterious switches and cool looking pedals and the sound coming out. It’s exactly what turned me into a gear nerd, too.

I barely knew what I was doing, I only had a guitar for about 6 months at that point. I obviously wasn’t burning through EJ runs back then :D, but it had me thinking about tones really early on. I’m just as in love with the sound of guitars as I am the notes they play and I’m glad that happened so quickly. (Still took me years to not sound like s**t though)

Still haven’t heard many tones that rival these, it’s the Ah Via Musicom rig but solo’s and mic’d perfectly. This is the intro to that vid, the outro with the Fuzz Face isn’t on YouTube. It’s an outstanding instructional video, it’s on his site on DVD now.

I saw EJ on this tour with Rush. Holy sh!t what a great show! He fell off my radar after this album but he was on fire back then!

Eric Johnson cost me about -9 dB in my right ear of high frequency loss. That fucker plays loud. 1990s, A venue fit for 200, crammed with 400. I should’ve tried to moved away from the damn PA.

Love seeing him play, but regret the damage. Normally I’m OK with paying my receipts…

I saw Eric Johnson at a G3, and also at the Dallas Guitar Show one year. Satch and Andy Timmons band where also there. They all played back to back. Andy Timmons band providing the backing for Satriani.

The Fuzz Face, my uncle gave me EJ’s Total Electric Guitar VHS when I was 11 and just started playing, it begins and ends with EJ just doing his thing and at the end there’s a point where he switches to a Dumble and then steps on this light blue/tealish Fuzz Face. The sound that comes out of that amp blew my f*****g mind, the whole thing; stepping on these mysterious switches and cool looking pedals and the sound coming out. It’s exactly what turned me into a gear nerd, too.
I chased that FF tone for years. Could not get even remotely close. Of course I later learned he got that explosive fuzz sound by having a Tube Screamer in front so the FF got a buffered signal , duh! :p

I like the idea of fuzz; and I LOVE certain stoner/doom tones. I can't ever get myself there IRL though. I will say that UAD Tweed thing had some straight up NASTY stuff happening where it could handle that vibe all day long if you put it through the right cab.

I chased that FF tone for years. Could not get even remotely close. Of course I later learned he got that explosive fuzz sound by having a Tube Screamer in front so the FF got a buffered signal , duh! :p

I gotta find a way to get the audio from that DVD uploaded, just a snippet of it. I’ll see if I can rip it tonight. I’ve seriously never heard a tone like this since. No Tube Screamer back then, but he was putting it into a lightly distorted Dumble. He demonstrates at one point how he sets the Dumble to basically recreate the “Start Me Up” tone. I swear that combination was actual magic….

I’ve got an EJ FF now and it’s KILLER, but the EMG’s in my Strat push it a bit too hard. I’m just now getting the fuzz lessons most have already learned, namely that they really like 250K pots and single coils!

I gotta find a way to get the audio from that DVD uploaded, just a snippet of it. I’ll see if I can rip it tonight. I’ve seriously never heard a tone like this since. No Tube Screamer back then, but he was putting it into a lightly distorted Dumble. He demonstrates at one point how he sets the Dumble to basically recreate the “Start Me Up” tone. I swear that combination was actual magic….

I’ve got an EJ FF now and it’s KILLER, but the EMG’s in my Strat push it a bit too hard. I’m just now getting the fuzz lessons most have already learned, namely that they really like 250K pots and single coils!
He definitely had a Tube Screamer there :)

That VHS was a game changer for me, sent me on a EJ tone chase for years :p

1661869362760.png

I like the idea of fuzz; and I LOVE certain stoner/doom tones. I can't ever get myself there IRL though. I will say that UAD Tweed thing had some straight up NASTY stuff happening where it could handle that vibe all day long if you put it through the right cab.

I hear ya there, I still don’t know how I’m going to incorporate the gear I’ve been buying into the music I write, which certainly hasn’t been a platform for fuzz tones. In most cover situations I could envision, there’s not a big use for it either. I think I’ll have to start writing more Mastodon inspired stuff to create a bed for that kind of tone to be used!

I hear ya there, I still don’t know how I’m going to incorporate the gear I’ve been buying into the music I write, which certainly hasn’t been a platform for fuzz tones. In most cover situations I could envision, there’s not a big use for it either. I think I’ll have to start writing more Mastodon inspired stuff to create a bed for that kind of tone to be used!
We're supposed to using this stuff to create things?

I basically keep an op amp Big Muff around specifically to do the Siamese Dream thing occasionally. Otherwise I’m with you, it’s something I like the idea of more than actually using.

Though I’ve given a long look at that Beetronics Vezzpa.

Back