What pedal changed your life?

He definitely had a Tube Screamer there :)

That VHS was a game changer for me, sent me on a EJ tone chase for years :p

View attachment 14

Damn, that’s right. I was thinking he had the Tube Driver there, but it was back in the rack. I know he’s switched the placement of the TS over th years, sometimes in the rhythm rig and sometimes in the lead rig. If you have the DVD, the section I’m talking about is the outro solo, there’s one point where the camera pans to his feet and you see him hit an A/B switch then right over to the FF, I think he hits a B octave on the A/B strings and the tone that comes out is just f*cking insane. It still blows my mind 30 years after hearing for the first time.

And yeah, I might have said it here, but my first few months of playing my uncle handed me that VHS and said ”Learn everything you can”. Obviously, I wasn’t going to walk away ripping EJ leads after playing for 5 months, but I picked up a lot of stuff in regards to muting and bending that I still utilize today, the vibrato, too. It also made me fall in love with nitro-finished maple Strat necks, just seeing it shine like that. The silly stuff you dig into when you’re starting out and don’t know sh*t about f*ck.

I like the Tone Wicker when I had it for 5 minutes. And that Dano Peach Fuzz clone was killer for that purpose as well.

Does having a girl leave you after she watched you, in a fit of frustrated rage smash a pedal to pieces count as "life changing"? If so then this POS..

junk.JPG

I’ve gotta be honest, there are a lot of pedals that have been game changers for me, but the first one that literally changed my life as a guitarist was this bad boy:

zoom-505-guitar-2284.jpg

Before I got that I was playing straight into a Crate practice amp. I’d never played with reverb, delay, or any other effects before and it was amazing and eye opening

I’ve gotta be honest, there are a lot of pedals that have been game changers for me, but the first one that literally changed my life as a guitarist was this bad boy:

zoom-505-guitar-2284.jpg

Before I got that I was playing straight into a Crate practice amp. I’d never played with reverb, delay, or any other effects before and it was amazing and eye opening

There were a couple sounds in that thing I really dug. I remember I used to plug it in at the music store I worked at when I’d get really baked and just go for the weirdest presets in it and get lost in them. That was a fun pedal.

Probably the EQD Dispatch Master, even though I don't currently have one. I am running an Avalanche Run and while its a lot more powerful/flexible it definitely doesn't have the same magic as the DM

Honorable mention goes to the Tru Tron 3x that I sold like a moron. But my micro tron IV is filling that void nicely

Dano Cool Cat transparent OD and Fuzz...

{{{Queue the laughter}}}

Yup they were shut down for stealing (copying too closely) the circuits but those pedals sound so freggin good. The transparent OD has been on my pedalboard since I got one however many years ago. Need another fuzz, old one got drenched and destroyed.. Of course prices have gotten a bit silly on the CC Fuzz..

Dano Cool Cat transparent OD and Fuzz...

{{{Queue the laughter}}}

Yup they were shut down for stealing (copying too closely) the circuits but those pedals sound so freggin good. The transparent OD has been on my pedalboard since I got one however many years ago. Need another fuzz, old one got drenched and destroyed.. Of course prices have gotten a bit silly on the CC Fuzz..
The Fuzz was LEGIT. I dug it \m/

I don't own them anymore, and that is a damn shame... but I had these around 2007 when I started writing for my band....
1662069701596.png

1662069729515.png

And these just showed me a whole world of ambience and tone, and pushed me completely in a post-rock-cum-post-metal direction for my playing, which has lasted to this day.

Also notable:
1662069780971.png

I wrote so many songs just using those three pedals. They more or less programmed into me, a sense of what good and bad tone were. Bad tone is dry blues wank. Good tone is sexy ambient whirlpools of blisssssss.

the axess electronics BS2. the buffer is the magic box that made long cable runs possible.

I think the T-Rex Mudhoney opened my eyes to pedals. I instantly bought the Replica and Tremster shortly after, and plugged everything into a Roland JC Chorus. Had no idea what sounded good or not.... I think it sounded good.

Back