What Is The Best Marshall 1959 Circuit (Plexi) Super Lead Amp Sim Out There On The Market Today ?

PLX

Shredder
TGF Champion
What Is The Best Marshall 1959 Circuit (Plexi) Super Lead Amp Sim Out There On The Market Today ?

I've tried a few, and they were total crap.

:rolleyes:

I second a vote for the ones in the Fractal units. I have the Axe-FX III, and I use the 1959 SLP Treble and Jumpered models; to me they're amazing. One advantage with Fractal is the deep tweaks you can make. I hate ghost notes, so I always change the power supply on these models from AC to DC, and they're just awesome.

the one in the tmp or qc is your best be.....Oh wait....those arent in those modelers..
Santa Clause What GIF by Candy Cane Lane

Are those UAD amp sims any good or are they overrated? The plugins where you need the hardware. Those always looked good.

Are those UAD amp sims any good or are they overrated? The plugins where you need the hardware. Those always looked good.
The only one that isn't available on any other platform is their Fender Deluxe. Its pretty good but not essential IMO.

The others are either coded by Softube (all the Marshall stuff, they are good), or by Nembrini for Brainworx/Plugin Alliance (they are quite good, a bit hit or miss in my experience). The Softube and Nembrini stuff is available to buy/use natively and they're often on sale for way less than UAD prices.

I had tried the Plexi amp sim from Nembrini about a year ago. I liked it, but when the trial expired I went to purchase it, and they had jacked the price up from $39 to $137.. and I said, "Funk that."

Went and looked last night and they had it on their site for $27.40

It's pretty good, but you have to use your own speaker/mic IRs.

Nembrini MRH-159

IAVaZI4.jpg

I had tried the Plexi amp sim from Nembrini about a year ago. I liked it, but when the trial expired I went to purchase it, and they had jacked the price up from $39 to $137.. and I said, "Funk that."

Nembrini MRH-159

IAVaZI4.jpg
EVERYONE IS RAISING PRICES FOR STUFF LIKE THIS

Nembrini MRH-159

IAVaZI4.jpg

I like the included variac!

I like the included variac!
Not sure how they modeled that feature (variac) but it's not "right".

Feels/sounds nothing like what happens to an amp when you turn down a real variac.

Also, it only goes to 90VAC.. nothing lower or higher. :confused:

did these a while back, was before I knew how to set the right input level for Softube’s Marshall’s. Actually a little surprised how poor the choice is in plugin land. I think Helix is much better than people give credit for - you get quite a nice choice of amps. Just a shame they don't all have bright caps. Softube isn't bad but seems very midrangey, I think its just that particular amp. It can coax some cool Marshall tones but it doesn't seem to sound as close to MY marshalls as others do. Can't really get on with Mercuriall's Plexi which is odd as I dig their stuff a lot. Seems weird that they put a master volume on it and not the bass channel. Hard to argue at all with what Fractal offers, I think if you are set on using plugins then NAM and ToneX win, because the controls on a 1959 don't do THAT much.

Last edited:
did these a while back, was before I knew how to set the right input level for Softube’s Marshall’s. Actually a little surprised how poor the choice is in plugin land. I think Helix is much better than people give credit for - you get quite a nice choice of amps. Just a shame they don't all have bright caps. Softube isn't bad but seems very midrangey, I think its just that particular amp. It can coax some cool Marshall tones but it doesn't seem to sound as close to MY marshalls as others do. Can't really get on with Mercuriall's Plexi which is odd as I dig their stuff a lot. Seems weird that they put a master volume on it and not the bass channel. Hard to argue at all with what Fractal offers, I think if you are set on using plugins then NAM and ToneX win, because the controls on a 1959 don't do THAT much.

Nice comparisons. (y)
Just goes to show they're all quite usable and capture a good bit of the Marshall sound. I think it comes down to which one feels right to the player. It's easy to quibble over tonal differences but they all can be tweaked significantly in the box anyways so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Helix models feel pretty good to me and they take pedals well.

I remember plugging into he Axe for the first time, and by the time I was at preset 8 I was sold, this is the stock preset.
Bright and gnarly with plenty kerrang.

Sounds great! What IR did you use with this? I've tried more then a few 412 Greenback IRs but a lot of them sound congested to me. My go-to is a Bassman 212 IR that has a very open mid-range.

Back