What Are You Working On Right Now?

Way better than the UG "official" tab I was using. Your way is the real way, they are staying in the same position as you gave, never going up to the 2nd fret.
I cannot count how many times I've come across stuff like this. ... sometimes it is baffling how people play some stuff, like why are you making it soooooo difficult.

UG is nice , and can be helpful, but sometimes I regret spending the money on it ...hahaha

I love seeing the help around this place though, seriously the helpful nature of this forum.... everywhere, is kind of inspiring.

Keep it up guys! Good Show!

This is about the time when @la szum would chime in to say, "It's all about the journey! Enjoy yourself. :beer"

Man, that guy sounds like an ass. :hmm

:rofl

journey GIF

:beer

Decided to keep things clean today. No high gain, no/little compression. Hoping to zero in on my picking, keeping the attacks even in dynamics, and as 'legato' as one can be when using a pick. Kind of, as opposite from staccato as you can get, if that makes sense.

Found this chord étude in a old issue of Guitar Player mag. It’s a finger twister, but I like the sound of it.

If you like that kinda stuff, I recommend Barry Galbraith's "Jazz Guitar Comping". Original has no tabs but there's a newer tabbed version as well I think. Plenty of YT videos showcasing what's in there.

I decided to focus on that ~400-500 notes-per-minute area of my alt-picking that trips me up, and gives me trouble playing evenly. Once I'm at 16th notes @ 120-140 bpm, my picking smooths out, but the riffs aren't as clean.

So I practiced triplets at around 130, and 16th notes at around 90, for hours and hours yesterday. I worked up to about 105, and then went back to my faster tempos, and stuff was noticeably cleaner! Yea!!

So I think I'll stay with this approach for a while.

Oh and I learned something about my batteries in the Majesty- I'm throwing them away way too early.

The red light went on, but my new batteries are out in my truck, so due to being on crutches, I figured I'd just keep playing until there was no sound. After at least 3 more hours of playing, they were still working. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was previously chucking them because I heard a degradation of my tone. I'd flip the guitar over, and sure enough, that red LED was flashing. But after continuing on with them last night, now I'm not so sure. Weird.

Still seeing improvements in my legato too, both in speed and cleanliness, so I ain't giving up on those handful of riffs I'm trying to nail. But I still sometimes wonder...., really, what's the point? :rofl

salad anything GIF

I did. :chef

I could eat a Salad everyday---especially this tgime of year when it
is all fresh, fresh, and fresher. :love

I’m trying to work out my 9, 11 and 13 chord voicings without looking up traditional fingerings. It’s honestly frustrating the crap out of me.

I continually work on sweeping.. I totally suck at it.. It's the one tool I wish I possessed.. :facepalm

I continually work on sweeping.. I totally suck at it.. It's the one tool I wish I possessed.. :facepalm
This is in a DT solo I'm working on, and the first sweep is driving me CRAZY!
1724038528308.png

It's not notated correctly, but the 3 notes on the A are legato, both measures.

That G note in the 1st measure sounds the 12th fret harmonic as soon as I lift my 1st finger off it, getting it in place to fret the 12/A, and it's making me nuts! I can't STAND hearing anything other than the note I'm playing, and I work really hard to keep my string changes CLEAN!

For the longest time, I couldn't figure out where the extra noise was coming from, but sure enough, when I moved the whole thing down 1 fret, it was gone. So I KNOW it's that 12th fret natural harmonic.

So now I'm altering my hand position, trying to get it in such a way as to keep that string muted somehow.

I swear, I spend so much time on working on keeping out any extraneous noise when doing anything with legato in it. It ain't easy.

I’m trying to work out my 9, 11 and 13 chord voicings without looking up traditional fingerings. It’s honestly frustrating the crap out of me.

Why exactly? Do you know your 7th-chord voicings? And do you know the note names (and ideally their functions) within them?

Back