What Are You Working On Right Now?

Shredding Jerk Off GIF by hamlet
IMG_3517.gif

Idk if y'all will think I'm st00p1d, or already did, or what not - but I just had a f00k1n' revelation. Yes, really.

Take this particular tab, it's at 163 btw:
Duh Moment.jpg

Been having some sloppiness doing the 4th string 4th fret (and same on 5th fret) and jumping over to two open 6th strings.

I'm like, what if I keep my pinky down on 5th string 7th fret? :unsure: I just cleared the 5th string from my path and it's like I can't miss!

I guess one of the 1st things drilled into my head was "don't keep your fingers down, lift when done!". Well, not so smart in this case.

Duh!

Idk if y'all will think I'm st00p1d, or already did, or what not - but I just had a f00k1n' revelation. Yes, really.

Take this particular tab, it's at 163 btw:
View attachment 25671

Been having some sloppiness doing the 4th string 4th fret (and same on 5th fret) and jumping over to two open 6th strings.

I'm like, what if I keep my pinky down on 5th string 7th fret? :unsure: I just cleared the 5th string from my path and it's like I can't miss!

I guess one of the 1st things drilled into my head was "don't keep your fingers down, lift when done!". Well, not so smart in this case.

Duh!
163..., triplets?

Any time I keep my fingers on a string, I end up getting noise I don't want.
I end up working a LOT on just releasing the pressure, while still keeping my finger on the string to mute it. (Not so easy with real low action though.)

Edit: I just tried it..., why not just fret the 7th, then 9th, then 10th frets, all on the A string, then do the 2 on the 7th fret, 6th string, then 7-10-7 to finish it?

Last edited:
163..., triplets?

Any time I keep my fingers on a string, I end up getting noise I don't want.
I end up working a LOT on just releasing the pressure, while still keeping my finger on the string to mute it. (Not so easy with real low action though.)

Edit: I just tried it..., why not just fret the 7th, then 9th, then 10th frets, all on the A string, then do the 2 on the 7th fret, 6th string, then 7-10-7 to finish it?
Helluva lot easier, lol. I need to see if I can find a video of this song, curious if they play it your way, mucho more sciencey! Bravo sir!

I probably need to work on my transposing, lol, and stop taking the tabs as the gospel! But then tonight's "revelation" is for nuthin' :hmm

Actually, the only chance I'd have of playing that up to speed, assuming it is triplets, is all on the E string.
Bah, I'm not far from full speed, 90 some %, anyway. I'm sure you could play it with very little time. Me, I've been playing the first 3 songs of this particular At the Gates album for what, two months?? Heh, but it's fun so it's all good!

Heh! Just watched some concert footage, circa 2008 (like 10 years after this came out originally) and they're playing it your way. :chef :rawk:headbang

I'm going to start sending you all my tabs for transposal. Thanks in advance :cop

And soon as I memorize the new improved "@TSJMajesty method", I don't see having any issue playing it at 100%. w00t. Thank you kind sir.

Oh, and yeah, it looks like triplets on that tab, but to me, with my limited knowledge, not "really". Accent obviously on the 1st of each 3 note group but they are more in time with no pause between groups of 3.

I probably need to work on my transposing, lol, and stop taking the tabs as the gospel!
I probably spend 1/3 of my time tryin to figure out the easiest way to play stuff, without changing how it sounds of course.
But then tonight's "revelation" is for nuthin'
Nah. It's got you thinking. :rollsafe

Plus, you'll start seeing the notes at different places on the neck. Which is always a good thing!

but it's fun so it's all good!
So much shit I mess with I'll never get full speed (the solo to Bark at The Moon), but the enjoyment of playing it is enough for me.

Like, I just ran through the triplets of the final run in BATM, but at 104bpm, and it sounds freakin cool AF even at that (slow) tempo!

I probably spend 1/3 of my time tryin to figure out the easiest way to play stuff, without changing how it sounds of course.

Nah. It's got you thinking. :rollsafe

Plus, you'll start seeing the notes at different places on the neck. Which is always a good thing!

So much shit I mess with I'll never get full speed (the solo to Bark at The Moon), but the enjoyment of playing it is enough for me.

Like, I just ran through the triplets of the final run in BATM, but at 104bpm, and it sounds freakin cool AF even at that (slow) tempo!
Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

This night could go down in infamy, err, or something! Maybe not exactly like when the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor, but close!

Can't say how much I appreciate the eye opener! I could've cut the learning time of this song tremendously, if only I wasn't hampered by poor DNA. Heh!!

Heh! Just watched some concert footage, circa 2008 (like 10 years after this came out originally) and they're playing it your way. :chef :rawk:headbang

I'm going to start sending you all my tabs for transposal. Thanks in advance :cop

And soon as I memorize the new improved "@TSJMajesty method", I don't see having any issue playing it at 100%. w00t. Thank you kind sir.
Awesome!!
Oh, and yeah, it looks like triplets on that tab, but to me, with my limited knowledge, not "really". Accent obviously on the 1st of each 3 note group but they are more in time with no pause between groups of 3.
There's no pause in triplets (unless there's a rest.) That type of riff could be played as 4 notes across a beat (16th notes), or triplets. Just depends on where the beat is.

Here's an example of a riff that's mostly in "threes", but it's actually 16th notes (except for the sextuplet run on every 8th beat):

4 sets of 3 notes, played as 16th notes = 3 beats, then he plays 4 notes for the 4th beat, to finish the measure:

1722129166061.png

Awesome!!

There's no pause in triplets (unless there's a rest.) That type of riff could be played as 4 notes across a beat (16th notes), or triplets. Just depends on where the beat is.

Here's an example of a riff that's mostly in "threes", but it's actually 16th notes (except for the sextuplet run on every 8th beat):

4 sets of 3 notes, played as 16th notes = 3 beats, then he plays 4 notes for the 4th beat, to finish the measure:

View attachment 25672

My theory is only theoretical. I don't even know what I don't know. Heh, I just rawk. Need to work on that without making it work, have enough of that during the week :grin

This is about the time when @la szum would chime in to say, "It's all about the journey! Enjoy yourself. :beer"
Yeah, he must be on some Harley quest or found some ganja he's never tried. :unsure:

My theory is only theoretical. I don't even know what I don't know. Heh, I just rawk. Need to work on that without making it work, have enough of that during the week :grin

Yeah, he must be on some Harley quest or found some ganja he's never tried. :unsure:
I'm pretty sure he is at a river festival we have here in northern Michigan. I am sure he mentioned that to me.

Back