What amp is EVH sitting in front of?

mk5

Roadie
Watching some rare EVH stuff and see this parody interview like the Petrucci psycho stuff. But what is this amp? Something custom, but it looks larger than his 5150III headshell by quite a bit. I’ve heard the Jose custom was a large head. This couldn’t be…could it?

1683695623503.jpeg

The Jose custom amp is said to be gone some time in the early 90s. They were passing it around shopping for a company to make his signature amp and it got lost.

In a Tone Talk episode, James Brown said that when Ed signed the deal with Peavey he was supposed to get the amp to study it, but the amp never showed up and it was never seen again.

So it's not the Jose but it's definitely one of the many custom/prototype amps Ed had made for him over the years before approving production models. James Brown also said Ed never returned prototypes so he made a bunch of them.

It is a Pv prototype.

Edit; I am wrong but it very similar because it is not sharp.

Last edited:
Mystery solved. Thanks! Ha I thought I was on to something. I should have known as there were multiple of those floating around 5150 around that time for Wolfgang.

Most people want Alex/Wolfie to release all the music from the vault, I just want a gear tour of 5150. Just imagine how many f*cking prototype/modded heads are kicking around that place!

Right???? He should make it a monthly tour thing. Pay to tour , background screens. That could happen. Like Graceland.

He has to have some sort of extra space away from 5150 with all the stuff he’s collected.

Right???? He should make it a monthly tour thing. Pay to tour , background screens. That could happen. Like Graceland.

He has to have some sort of extra space away from 5150 with all the stuff he’s collected.

I’d imagine so, I don’t think 5150 is all that big. From what I’ve seen there’s a tiny control room, the drum room and a couple other booths Ed had built later on, but it’s definitely more home studio than a full sized joint. Place must f*cking reek of stale cigarettes that’ll never get out of those walls. :rofl

Back