What a "surprising" development!

And, if you click on the next link, odds are you'll get a completely different answer. Caveat emptor...

It's like we all forgot about and overlooked the inevitable (Dis) that would come with the (Dis)Information Superhighway. :idk

As much as Grunge brought a downer-vibe to the 90s there was also a massive amount of Idealism about what instant
access and interconnectedness via the Internet would do for humanity. It's like a light/shadow thing, and as humans we
seem to overlook the latter until it is blatantly all up in our faces.

It's like we all forgot about and overlooked the inevitable (Dis) that would come with the (Dis)Information Superhighway. :idk

As much as Grunge brought a downer-vibe to the 90s there was also a massive amount of Idealism about what instant
access and interconnectedness via the Internet would do for humanity. It's like a light/shadow thing, and as humans we
seem to overlook the latter until it is blatantly all up in our faces.
homer simpson horror GIF

Chapman's earlier videos with Lee were pretty good and kind of set the bar for gear demos in the earlier YT days. Andertons had good videos for several years and raised their production level a fair amount, but they kind of stalled out a few years back and I haven't watched much for a long time. Rob's videos after he moved to Malta and had the falling out with Riff City have been unwatchable. The full time video makers really do have to work full time to make moderately interesting videos and clearly he's not doing that.

Rabea, I watch mostly for his playing and songs which are good. Hell I have his new song with Plini saved on my Spotify as I listened several times because it's just a damn good song. Even Pete Thorn, great a player as he is, shills products is better than 9 of 10 videos. I honestly don't even watch his channel anymore.

You have to realize 95% of these videos are just advertisements. There aren't many honest gear reviews on social media. That's one reason I like to make long rambling posts when I try out gear...it's an interesting impartial review of the gear for other curious people, and sometimes it's a signpost for future me when he tries to buy the same gear multiple times :p
I think Anderton's sans Chapman has been much better. Lee has gotten also a lot better as a guitarist which is really nice to see. Peter Honore is always a joy to watch.

Rabea has good production on his videos and he has sold me on quite a few pieces of gear. Like Pete Thorn I tend to watch him for the riffs rather than the gear.

I like Eytchpi42 in small doses. He's got an odd sense of humor but his videos are generally informative and well produced. Dude just needs to use a tuner way more often.

People still have a hard time discerning between product demos and product reviews. Majority of gear content is not reviews but product demos. They are not meant to be a critique but to show off the gear.

It's a lot of work to make even a single video that actually looks good (and not like it's from a cave in Afghanistan or wherever John Cordy lives) and is well recorded, edited etc. If I was a YouTuber, I would absolutely try to make some money out of it because there's only so far you can do it as a hobby until it becomes an actual job.

Hate YT gear reviews? You might enjoy this YT video!

Saw these over the weekend. John Cordy has a great channel for those of you into modeling.

Very interesting that geartubers are starting talk about this now.

I will add that these marketing tactics are spreading like a disease into places where potential customers hang out like Forums and other social media in a form shills or stealth marketing, unlike geartubers these shills have no reputation or credibility to lose it's just a made up username on a forum.

I will add that these marketing tactics are spreading like a disease into places where potential customers hang out like Forums and other social media in a form shills or stealth marketing, unlike geartubers these shills have no reputation or credibility to lose it's just a made up username on a forum.
Is that much different from somebody buying an expensive, hard to get boutique amp or pedal, then going on forums and claiming it's superior to everything else? With few owners it's difficult to refute any of those claims and thanks to anonymity we can't know if the person making the claim is a seasoned player or just someone wealthy who can barely play barre chords.

In terms of Youtube, I'm fortunate in that I don't rely on it as a creative outlet, or a way to make money. It's a fun little thing I occasionally dip into. I did a nigh on 2 hour deep dive of the Source Audio Ventris which was quite successful, and I've had some decent views in the past considering I only have 700 odd subs.

I just don't care about it. I'll do a video every now and then because there is something I want to create. I'm generally too busy playing guitar to be arsed to setup cameras, lights, edit a video, etc etc. It takes a lot of work to make a good video.

There again, sometimes you can just throw up your phone and get a great video. Just depends on what your vibe is.

Is that much different from somebody buying an expensive, hard to get boutique amp or pedal, then going on forums and claiming it's superior to everything else? With few owners it's difficult to refute any of those claims and thanks to anonymity we can't know if the person making the claim is a seasoned player or just someone wealthy who can barely play barre chords.

Yes. One is well meaning but ill advised and one is highly unethical and violates most TOS agreements.

At least the dude who can’t play may not be taken as seriously if he has crappy clips or admits inexperience. The fraudulent company shill who is already lying may continue down that road.

Totally agreed on John Cordy. He makes a ton of videos and does some promotion but he's not a hype guy. And he's pretty honest and often very funny.

And of course Leon Todd, who makes a ton of really helpful free content on Fractal gear, and some other honest and interesting content. He'll sell some stuff but it's pretty transparent when that happens IMO.

I actually went through and unsubscribed from about half of the channels I followed on YT this weekend after reading this thread. So many of them were once upon a time good interesting channels but devolved into gear shills. I'm not interested in that anymore.

Actually, here's a list of some channels I've been watching:

• John Nathan Cordy - described above
  • Leon Todd - described above
  • The Studio Rats - excellent player with good informative content (may have a Boss relationship though)
  • G66 - for Fractal tips/tricks
  • 501chorusecho - pure gold of course
  • That Pedal Show - often plodding and meandering but really informative
  • Let's Play All - great 90's rock tutorials and riffs
  • Superdanger Studios - smaller channel focused on Iridium stuff but good tones and player and informative
  • Shawn Tubbs - works for Revv but he's a monster player and teaches a lot of stuff
  • Eric Haugen Guitar - inspirational and focused on playing and learning and not gear
  • Kiko Loureiro - humble for how accomplished he is, teaches and gives a great look into touring with a top act
  • Jeff McErlaine - teacher from Truefire, good informative content
  • Zach Wish - unbelievably well produced modern rock gear demos and covers (his band is great too)
  • Late Night Lessons - focused completely on teaching, excellent player and teacher with wide tastes
Nice.

My list is even smaller. I don't spend a lot of time watching YouTube gear videos but will if it's about a particular piece of gear I'm interested. As a Fractal user I watch Leon Todd more than the others. Tubbs because I'm thinking about getting a REVV Generator 120 Mk III.
  • Rick Beato - His lessons, nothing else
  • Leon Todd - For Fractal tips
  • G66 - for Fractal tips/tricks
  • Shawn Tubbs - for Revv gear demos

Last edited:
I think Anderton's sans Chapman has been much better. Lee has gotten also a lot better as a guitarist which is really nice to see. Peter Honore is always a joy to watch.

Rabea has good production on his videos and he has sold me on quite a few pieces of gear. Like Pete Thorn I tend to watch him for the riffs rather than the gear.

I like Eytchpi42 in small doses. He's got an odd sense of humor but his videos are generally informative and well produced. Dude just needs to use a tuner way more often.

People still have a hard time discerning between product demos and product reviews. Majority of gear content is not reviews but product demos. They are not meant to be a critique but to show off the gear.

It's a lot of work to make even a single video that actually looks good (and not like it's from a cave in Afghanistan or wherever John Cordy lives) and is well recorded, edited etc. If I was a YouTuber, I would absolutely try to make some money out of it because there's only so far you can do it as a hobby until it becomes an actual job.
Eytchpi42 is great. The only quibble I have with his vids is they are wayyyyyyy too long. He's up front about it and I feel like he goes through pretty much everything you are going to want to ask about a piece of gear he is reviewing.

I’m glad I already knew what I wanted for gear before GearInfluencers were a thing, I couldn’t imagine being 15 years old, falling in love with guitar and seeing these guys pimp gear with no way to obtain said gear, it was hard enough with Musician’s Friend catalogs in the 90’s, never mind a personality you dig telling you how great the product is.

I still watch gear videos all the time but it’s more out of curiosity than for making a purchasing decision.

I’m glad I already knew what I wanted for gear before GearInfluencers were a thing, I couldn’t imagine being 15 years old, falling in love with guitar and seeing these guys pimp gear with no way to obtain said gear, it was hard enough with Musician’s Friend catalogs in the 90’s, never mind a personality you dig telling you how great the product is.

I still watch gear videos all the time but it’s more out of curiosity than for making a purchasing decision.

When I was 15 I asked my mom to buy me a Guild Mahogany Acoustic. When I was 17 I bought a Strat.

My influencers were Bob Dylan and Hendrix.

"Heyyyy don't you need a Starfire! Yeaahhhh!"

Back in the '60s Wurlitzer and 8th Street Music were the only two guitar stores in Philadelphia. My mom took me to Wurlitzer and after looking around I saw the Guild and said "I want that one".

Back then I was into folk rock and pretty soon after getting it put a DeArmond pickup in it. Did my first gig shortly thereafter.

"1968
Towards the end of the ’60s Dylan started playing a 1963 Martin D-28. He toured with it for about ten years, including at the Concert for Bangladesh. Then in 1977, he sold it to guitar repairman Larry Cragg. The guitar was recently sold at auction for $396,000!"

To this day a D-28 is the only acoustic I own.

Okay, I'm gonna have to check out John Cordy now. I've had a disdain for watching anything gear related over the past few years. I got really soured on some drama that unfolded in the Helix Facebook Official Original Turbo group between a few Youtubers to the point where watching anything like that just wasn't interesting anymore.

Okay, I'm gonna have to check out John Cordy now. I've had a disdain for watching anything gear related over the past few years. I got really soured on some drama that unfolded in the Helix Facebook Official Original Turbo group between a few Youtubers to the point where watching anything like that just wasn't interesting anymore.
Was it over a broken hot pocket cover?

Truth!

Back