What’s the Japanese LP hierarchy?

Man, that's a tough question when you think about all the different Japanese LP copies out there and the different price ranges even within each manufacturer. Collectively, and based on the admittedly limited examples I played in Tokyo, I'd have to say:

Tokai > Greco > Edwards > Yamaha > Lawsuit Ibanez's

Man, that's a tough question when you think about all the different Japanese LP copies out there and the different price ranges even within each manufacturer. Collectively, and based on the admittedly limited examples I played in Tokyo, I'd have to say:

Tokai > Greco > Edwards > Yamaha > Lawsuit Ibanez's
Can't argue with that, not at all.

As far as I know, Navigator is the really high-end in this space. Also an ESP brand (like Edwards). They used to be considered the best, but that was like ten years ago. Could have changed now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you’re looking for an older guitar, probably can’t go wrong with Greco’s, especially for the prices they go for.
For something newer, I’d absolutely go with Edwards. There’s probably 4-6 Edwards owners on here and we all rave about them equally. I believe @cragginshred was the most recent purchaser while the rest of us got the LP Custom versions last year.

From all the reports I’ve been reading in the Edwards group I’m in, the gap between Edwards and Navigator is pretty slim these days. Seems they’ve moved the Edwards shop around a few times and after being made in China and finished in Japan alongside E-II’s, they’re now fully MIJ, which makes sense because the fit/finish feels EXACTLY like my buddy’s E-II.

The Tokai’s are also known to be absolutely killer!

Also, Orville. They were managed by Gibson in the 90’s and predominantly built in the Fujigen plant. I’m very deeply in love with mine, I don’t believe it’s an Orville thing, just one of those guitars that happens to sound REALLY fucking great.

Orville.

Elvis Presley Singing GIF by HULU

Edwards, bruh!

On the fence about selling mine, because as time goes on I find single-cuts to not be for me. I have a PRS 594 that plays somewhat better, and it looks magazine cover worthy, so it ain't going nowhere.

You live near N. GA? :hmm

I am getting another. That first one was so fracking great I am going to plunge into the Edwards LP
pool one more time.

dive capybara GIF

Keep in mind that when you say, "A grand" then you are excluding some of the older MIJ LP "brands."

Looking to spend about a grand on a Japanese LP copy, and I’m lost.

You know which model LP you’re looking for, a Standard one or a Custom?

I can help whittle this down quick-

If the ebony fingerboard on a Custom is important to you, just grab an Edwards for $1000.

They’re the only MIJ Customs with ebony boards, outside a few rare Greco’s (which are mostly ebonol) and Tokai’s, but I believe the Tokai’s are well above $1000, same with Navigators.

If that’s not important, and you’re a heathen like Orvillian, than the world is your oyster when it comes to MIJ LP’.

Orville >Tokai > Greco > Edwards > Yamaha > Lawsuit Ibanez's

fixed.

There’s so much of the world I want to see, historic landmarks are alway first on my list, but Japan is the country I want to visit just because it’s Japan and everything about it. The geography and culture is something I’m strongly drawn to. I don’t think I’d be in the cities as much as the rural areas, though.

There’s so much of the world I want to see, historic landmarks are alway first on my list, but Japan is the country I want to visit just because it’s Japan and everything about it. The geography and culture is something I’m strongly drawn to. I don’t think I’d be in the cities as much as the rural areas, though.

Same. I could give two fucks about Tokyo. :idk Checking out some of the coastal areas and mountains,
along with a few monasteries, and eating my way from one low key town to the next, and I could legit
die happy. :love

With the Son turning 18, and my adult life changing rapidly, I have every intention of traversing the Planet as
much as I can before I perish. :beer

Back