Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

Yngwie’s become a bit of a meme but no one can play like that guy and there’s something very endearing about him. I saw him do a masterclass/show before the pandemic, at a local venue down here. As I pulled up I see a red Ferrari parked behind the venue (I’m 15 minutes north of Miami) and a U-Haul in the parking lot. Dude needed to rent a U-Haul just for his Marshalls. No band, just a backing track that my buddy who runs sound couldn’t get loud enough over the amps.

I was hanging with him at FOH and he’s just cursing up a storm, “Who the f*ck gives backing tracks like this?!? Listen, I’m turning off his cab mics” Nothing changed, it was just as f*cking loud. He basically had to half-ass master the backing tracks by running them into a compressor and a limiter just so they’d be loud enough through the PA, where the guitars weren’t even coming through.

I could handle about 15 seconds in front of the stage, it was so f*cking loud and while that signature Strat tone sounds great, 10 feet from those cabs it’s like an ice pick hitting your ears whenever Yngwie would pick a note.

It was supposed to be a Q&A kind of thing, but it was mostly older 80’s metal fans thinking it was an Yngwie concert, so when he started taking questions it turned into “Do you like living in Miami?”, “How many Ferrari’s do you own?”, etc. He made one comment, “This is supposed to be about guitars, not sh*t like…..whatever, I’ll just play”, something to that effect and just played the rest of the night.

Dude that video is awesome! It captures both how he has become a meme but how fucking great his chops are to this day. More power to him. :rofl

Yngwie’s become a bit of a meme but no one can play like that guy and there’s something very endearing about him. I saw him do a masterclass/show before the pandemic, at a local venue down here. As I pulled up I see a red Ferrari parked behind the venue (I’m 15 minutes north of Miami) and a U-Haul in the parking lot. Dude needed to rent a U-Haul just for his Marshalls. No band, just a backing track that my buddy who runs sound couldn’t get loud enough over the amps.

I was hanging with him at FOH and he’s just cursing up a storm, “Who the f*ck gives backing tracks like this?!? Listen, I’m turning off his cab mics” Nothing changed, it was just as f*cking loud. He basically had to half-ass master the backing tracks by running them into a compressor and a limiter just so they’d be loud enough through the PA, where the guitars weren’t even coming through.

I could handle about 15 seconds in front of the stage, it was so f*cking loud and while that signature Strat tone sounds great, 10 feet from those cabs it’s like an ice pick hitting your ears whenever Yngwie would pick a note.

It was supposed to be a Q&A kind of thing, but it was mostly older 80’s metal fans thinking it was an Yngwie concert, so when he started taking questions it turned into “Do you like living in Miami?”, “How many Ferrari’s do you own?”, etc. He made one comment, “This is supposed to be about guitars, not sh*t like…..whatever, I’ll just play”, something to that effect and just played the rest of the night.

I saw him 1987 in Lakeland, FL open for Maiden. I couldn't imagine being in a band with that guy. He drowned out
everything and everyone. Just screaming guitars. It was terrible, and I didn't even have good seats.

I can't fathom how someone so gifted and who loves music could be so fucking clueless and not comprehend
context. Is he just that enamoured with his own penis??? :)

Oh, and I would bet that is why he can't fashion a decent band and his songwriting blows. He has alienated himself completely
from anyone worthy or worthwhile. That's the inevitable outcome of engorged narcissism. Who wants to deal with him? No one.

Eric Clapton = No snow, No show. Plus he's boring as f**k.
Angus Young
Meeesha Manwhore

That's all I've got for now.
Misha isn't even an objectively good guitarist. There was some video making the rounds years ago, of him doing some amp demos and it was just sad, like straight up amateur hour. I couldn't believe how inexperienced he sounded.

I saw him 1987 in Lakeland, FL open for Maiden. I couldn't imagine being in a band with that guy. He drowned out
everything and everyone. Just screaming guitars. It was terrible, and I didn't even have good seats.

I can't fathom how someone so gifted and who loves music could be so f*****g clueless and not comprehend
context. Is he just that enamoured with his own penis??? :)
I saw him open a G3 with Vai & Satch, and after the first couple songs it was over for me. I mean, bor-ing!
Conversely, my jaw kept dropping lower with each passing song from Steve Vai. His playing was other-worldly.

john mayer. people confuse good songwriting with being a good guitar player. he is competent, but that's about it.

I think he’s a damn good guitar player. Is he a mega guitar virtuoso? No. And he’s never pretended to be one. He’s had Isaiah Sharkey in his touring band for that. He would let rip a few times in a show.

I’ve seen John Mayer twice with Dead and Company and he was fantastic. He is a great improviser. Given that format he did a lot of extended solos. That’s really hard to do and keep it interesting and not repeat yourself over and over.

Here’s him doing a kick ass Hendrix cover. This is more than just competent playing to me.

I think he’s a damn good guitar player. Is he a mega guitar virtuoso? No. And he’s never pretended to be one. He’s had Isaiah Sharkey in his touring band for that. He would let rip a few times in a show.

I’ve seen John Mayer twice with Dead and Company and he was fantastic. He is a great improviser. Given that format he did a lot of extended solos. That’s really hard to do and keep it interesting and not repeat yourself over and over.

Here’s him doing a kick ass Hendrix cover. This is more than just competent playing to me.

I’ve tried a few times to get into Mayer, I really dig the melody to “Slow Dancing In A Burning Room“ and he’s absolutely more capable than most, but I haven’t had anything grab me yet. Really dig a lot of his tones. The door is open for me to get into his stuff, it just hasn’t occurred yet. I’ve been the same way with Joe Bonamassa. Love the tones, nothing about his playing turns me off, but none of it really turns me on. I think I just feel like I’d rather listen to EJ if I were going to hear the tones I hear on a lot of Joe B’s stuff.

I’ve tried a few times to get into Mayer, I really dig the melody to “Slow Dancing In A Burning Room“ and he’s absolutely more capable than most, but I haven’t had anything grab me yet. Really dig a lot of his tones. The door is open for me to get into his stuff, it just hasn’t occurred yet. I’ve been the same way with Joe Bonamassa. Love the tones, nothing about his playing turns me off, but none of it really turns me on. I think I just feel like I’d rather listen to EJ if I were going to hear the tones I hear on a lot of Joe B’s stuff.

From a guitar perspective I always found myself liking Mayers playing more as part of the Trio or sitting in with other artists.

His solo music largely is just not my style but I have respect for his songwriting ability.

Misha isn't even an objectively good guitarist. There was some video making the rounds years ago, of him doing some amp demos and it was just sad, like straight up amateur hour. I couldn't believe how inexperienced he sounded.
Ironically, for a while the best guitarist in the band was the bassist. Nolly is a straight-up beast.

Besides, it's all about marketing, not playing.

John Mayer is the Eric Clapton of Gen X/Millenial generation. The most overrated guitarist of our time.

If I hear one more person say “oh no, you’ve got to hear him live. He’s way better live than on albums” I will punch a kitten.

If I can’t stand the dude’s albums, why would I see him live?

Back