Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

Zack Wylde.

More like... Zack Why?
457B9249-5AE8-4EC4-AD03-B036040ECBBC.gif

For me it's a toss-up between Hendrix and Clapton. Yeah, I know. Sacrilege. Never been a fan. I mean, I can appreciate what Jimi did for guitar, waaay back in the 60's, but to read people claim that he's still the GOAT??? After EVH came along? That I just don't get.
And yeah, I listened to the isolated track of While My Guitar Gently Weeps solo, and it's really melodic and all that, but all I hear is a guy noodling. God? :unsure: :rolleyes:

Now Gilmour, EVH, Lifeson, Petrucci..., those guys I get. (Guess that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.)

How bout you?

I remember having that debate, Jimi vs EVH, when I was 14. (Back when people cared enough to have a guitar player debate lol)

There are plenty of guitarist I don’t “get” personally that I can at least understand why they are popular to some.

A LOT of popular shredders I just find totally disposable, unless they channeled it into meaningful songs.

Love that you listed Lifeson. There is a dude that was a riff machine, excellent songwriter, and had the chops when he needed it. Mt Rushmore player for me.

Love that you listed Lifeson. There is a dude that was a riff machine, excellent songwriter, and had the chops when he needed it. Mt Rushmore player for me.
And came up with novel chord voicings that we'd never heard before! You know you left your mark on a genre of music when they name a chord for you! And just like Page playing with tunings, he was just fooling around with various sounds, didn't know the theory behind it, or the names, but so innovative!
I was listening to something the other day off of either Signals or Moving Pictures, maybe even a little earlier, and I was thinking how he was really at his prime around that time. Probably the solo to Freewill.

A LOT of popular shredders I just find totally disposable, unless they channeled it into meaningful songs.
That's how I feel about Jason Richardson.

with the risk of getting banned here too , I got to go with Hendrix , Neil Young
both just sound noisy out of tune and discordant to me , Neil Young live tone just sucks like a fuzz into a pig nose

Thank God they didn't give him a main part in this. No More Squeals!

You should hear Zakk play Hendrix with others on the Experience Tour. No. Forget it. You shouldn't. :)

He can't not do his schtick. It's atrocious and doesn't fit the song or who he is playing with..... but god damn if that is gonna
dissuade him from charging forward with Balls and Fortitude.

I say, sometimes you just got to put them back in your pants for the sake of your dignity. ;)

You should hear Zakk play Hendrix with others on the Experience Tour. No. Forget it. You shouldn't. :)

He can't not do his schtick. It's atrocious and doesn't fit the song or who he is playing with..... but god damn if that is gonna
dissuade him from charging forward with Balls and Fortitude.

I say, sometimes you just got to put them back in your pants for the sake of your dignity. ;)
Yngwie was awful on this at G3

with the risk of getting banned here too , I got to go with Hendrix , Neil Young
both just sound noisy out of tune and discordant to me , Neil Young live tone just sucks like a fuzz into a pig nose
Hendrix was pushing boundaries in a way that hadn't been done, but not all of it worked. Neil Young can be an excellent songwriter, but he was never someone who's playing did anything for me.

Clapton - I love the Cream era stuff. Other than that, he’s written some good songs but as a guitar god he’s very mediocre when compared to his peers.

Santana - I didn’t get him at all for years. Then I broke down and bought Abraxas. The first time I heard Europa everything clicked for me and I really like him now. To me, it is one of the finest guitar performances ever. If you can listen to Europa and still don’t get Santana, you’ve done all you can do and he’s not for you.

Zakk - I’m pretty mixed on him.

The good: He’s recorded some great stuff. He seems like a genuinely great guy. He really can play the Ozzy and Sabbath stuff great. He can sing like Ozzy pretty damn good.

The bad: he can really play unbelievably tasteless with really shit tone. For example, on the Generation Axe tour he was horrible. Just terrible. His tone was like canned ass. Fucking overly distorted and harsh. And he used that ass tone to play Whipping Post and Little Wing. It was dreadful. His solos in those songs were unlistenable gibberish. Little Wing was particularly cruel because he played the exact same licks at least 15 times over the changes while he walked around the audience for like 10 minutes. It was torture.

Yeah but those f*cking kicks in the G3 DVD are priceless. I almost fell off my couch the first time I watched that G3 DVD.
Yngwie was awesome for me through Trilogy. First 2 albums are stuff of legends. Some say after the accident mid-80s he was never the same. I don’t fully agree since I think the songwriting is what took a dive instead (and this is coming from someone that still enjoys several Odyssey tracks).

After that…
955E0057-7D34-4262-AB6B-0AA09C22498D.gif

Yngwie was awesome for me through Trilogy. First 2 albums are stuff of legends. Some say after the accident mid-80s he was never the same. I don’t fully agree since I think the songwriting is what took a dive instead (and this is coming from someone that still enjoys several Odyssey tracks).

Aftet that…
View attachment 81

Yngwie’s become a bit of a meme but no one can play like that guy and there’s something very endearing about him. I saw him do a masterclass/show before the pandemic, at a local venue down here. As I pulled up I see a red Ferrari parked behind the venue (I’m 15 minutes north of Miami) and a U-Haul in the parking lot. Dude needed to rent a U-Haul just for his Marshalls. No band, just a backing track that my buddy who runs sound couldn’t get loud enough over the amps.

I was hanging with him at FOH and he’s just cursing up a storm, “Who the f*ck gives backing tracks like this?!? Listen, I’m turning off his cab mics” Nothing changed, it was just as f*cking loud. He basically had to half-ass master the backing tracks by running them into a compressor and a limiter just so they’d be loud enough through the PA, where the guitars weren’t even coming through.

I could handle about 15 seconds in front of the stage, it was so f*cking loud and while that signature Strat tone sounds great, 10 feet from those cabs it’s like an ice pick hitting your ears whenever Yngwie would pick a note.

It was supposed to be a Q&A kind of thing, but it was mostly older 80’s metal fans thinking it was an Yngwie concert, so when he started taking questions it turned into “Do you like living in Miami?”, “How many Ferrari’s do you own?”, etc. He made one comment, “This is supposed to be about guitars, not sh*t like…..whatever, I’ll just play”, something to that effect and just played the rest of the night.

Back