Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

I'll add one.
The guitarist and the band. Not just don't get, but really, really dislike.

Jerry-Garcia.jpg
I’m with ya.

I've never listened to the Grateful Dead, never listened to Jerry Garcia.

Being born in 1960 I was of the age that I was supposed to get into them in real time.

I remember hearing people talk about them around 71-ish so I picked up a double live album.
The picture either on or inside the cover was from behind the band. They were set up on a SF street which was packed it seemed for as far as you could see with fans so I'm thinking this is gonna be good!

:headbang

Got really high and then replaced a Sabbath or Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin or Uriah Heep or Mountain, etc. album on my turntable with Side One.

:unsure:

:oops:

:mad:

And finally after sampling all 4 sides?

:barf

Then during the latter 70s and 80s when they'd become a touring phenomenon I tried a couple more times and it was the same result.
Fucking flat out boring as all hell both emotionally and sonically.
No other way to say it.

Last edited:
Being born in 1960 I was of the age that I was suppose to get into them in real time.

I remember hearing people talk about them around 71-ish so I picked up a double live album.
The picture either on or inside the cover was from behind the band. They were set up on a SF street which was packed it seemed for as far as you could see with fans so I'm thinking this is gonna be good!

:headbang

Got really high and then replaced a Sabbath or Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin or Uriah Heep or Mountain, etc. album on my turntable with Side One.

:unsure:

:oops:

:mad:

And finally after sampling all 4 sides?

:barf

Then during the latter 70s and 80s when they'd become a touring phenomenon I tried a couple more times and it was the same result.
Fucking flat out boring as all hell both emotionally and sonically. No other way to say it.
yeah, they sound like a garage band with 12 year olds plunking around on their Kay guitars and Peavey Decades.

If someone doesn't think so, have them sit down with the solo from Sunshine of Your Love and REALLY learn it.
Hardest part would actually be to listen to it enough times to be able to memorize that boring piece of crap noodling.

Not a Santana fan by a long shot, but at least he goes for something. Clapton is the OG blues lawyer music.

Yeah, if there's one thing I hate, it's songwriters writing about things they care about.

If you disagree with his POV, use it as a opportunity to present a counterpoint. And don't buy his records. But telling an artist to "shut it" is basically equivalent to telling an artist not to be an artist.
You're absolutely right. Wasn't thinking.

Not quite related to the topic, but I read the room and think its okay . . .

In the grocery store last night, and Bob Segar's "Old Time Rock and Roll" was playing. That song was released as a single in 1979. Let's call the year of the release of "Rocket 88" the first year of rock and roll's existence. The genre was, at best, 28 years old when "Still like that old time rock and roll; that kind of music just soothes the soul; I reminisce about the days of old; with that old time rock and roll" was released... Bob Segar was 34 in 1979....

"won't go to hear 'em play a tango; I'd rather hear some blues or funky old soul...call me a relic, call me what you will; Say I'm old fashioned say I'm over the hill; Today's music ain't got the same soul; I like that old time rock and roll". He then goes to repeat the chorus four more times, one of which all instruments but kick, snare and COWBELL drop out, to make sure you can focus on his words. Finally, after singing that chorus four times in a row, he again sings one last time "I like that old time rock and roll" one last time, before the fade out kicks in...

Make of this post what you will.

I hesitate to Diss blues music as a whole, but blues wouldn't be my choice of music to listen to for pleasure.
I love Bonamassa's playing, but I much prefer his straight up rock tunes. His straight up blues stuff, I can take it or leave it.

Wish I had his chops though 😏
I'll listen to Rory Gallagher before I sit through 10 seconds of Joe Snoozeamassa.

Ok, I’ve mostly reacted to posts in this thread but didn’t post my own.

Slash is someone I find unlistenable but I think it may be because his stuff is attached to Axl. I never got that band. I’ve only ever made it through one of their songs at the gym when i forgot my earbuds.
GNR is overrated. Axl is a second rate Dan McCafferty. Then again Kevin Dubrow is a second rate Noddy Holder, so...

That said, I can't stand most members of Guns n Roses. Their attempts to act like they weren't a hair band or their smug "we weren't understood by anyone else and we were better" are insufferable. I can sort of enjoy Slash's playing, but his attitude is also pretty annoying. Saul, there was a time when you would've fit in with Poison. You wouldn't have been as blonde or brightly colored, but still. Get the fuck over yourself.

One album wonder is all GNR ever amounted to at the end of the day. You might have a single album of good music from UYI, but they released it as two overbloated, overindulgent, self-serving platters of shit. How they escaped the "end of the hair bands" is beyond me. No other "hair band" was so up their own ass that they released a double album (regardless of whether it was released separately or not).

GNR is overrated. Axl is a second rate Dan McCafferty. Then again Kevin Dubrow is a second rate Noddy Holder, so...

That said, I can't stand most members of Guns n Roses. Their attempts to act like they weren't a hair band or their smug "we weren't understood by anyone else and we were better" are insufferable. I can sort of enjoy Slash's playing, but his attitude is also pretty annoying. Saul, there was a time when you would've fit in with Poison. You wouldn't have been as blonde or brightly colored, but still. Get the fuck over yourself.

One album wonder is all GNR ever amounted to at the end of the day. You might have a single album of good music from UYI, but they released it as two overbloated, overindulgent, self-serving platters of shit. How they escaped the "end of the hair bands" is beyond me. No other "hair band" was so up their own ass that they released a double album (regardless of whether it was released separately or not).
You are very serious about this stuff :grin I dig it!

Back