Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

I admit, you'll wait forever. Clapton is obviously a seasoned performer - a master of what he does. The zillion dudes I knew who played Clapton licks and nothing else... obviously, none of them could do it with Clapton's panache or reliability in front of big crowds night after night. All I'm saying is there was a ubiquity there that became very dull to me, personally. (And somehow I never grew tired of hearing e.g. all of the Malmsteen-alikes that emerged a decade later in the same way.)
Yep, in terms of music or style I agree that there's tons of people who do the same things. What I like about him though is his phrasing, his tone, his technique. Those things, especially his phrasing, his bends, his vibrato, are harder to achieve than it would seem.
So I guess it depends on whether you look at him from a technical point of view or from an artistic point of view.

I'll add one.
The guitarist and the band. Not just don't get, but really, really dislike.

Jerry-Garcia.jpg

Dude can play. But who honestly wants to hear that song in the year 2024?
The point is he has some qualities that everyone would love to have in 2024 and for as long as the guitar will exist. Or at least should strive to have..

OMG HOW DID I FORGET THIS GUY. :O

Worse meedley mee-ing than any shred guitarist has ever unleashed. And in annoyingly major-ish modes to boot. Also, those songs. :sick:
The songs are really what it comes down too. Despite what we might tell ourselves.

One other I don't get although I kinda get is Santana. Technically, the guy sounds like someone who picked the guitar one year ago - sometimes...

The songs are really what it comes down too. Despite what we might tell ourselves.
Almost universally true, but there is something about Garcia's phrasing during solos that makes my skin crawl. I can't even explain it. It's like it was formulated in a lab specifically to make me angry.

i appreciate the skills and apparent mastery of theory but dont get Tim Henson. to me its like he found the way to take all the blood sweat and soul out of guitar and replaced it with nanobots. He is like an organic version of an advanced guitar synth sequencer.

One other I don't get although I kinda get is Santana. Technically, the guy sounds like someone who picked the guitar one year ago - sometimes...

The problem with Santana is that he kept putting out music after the first 4 Santana albums.
He should have quit after Caravanserai.

Back