Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

I agree with you up to a point. Zeppelin, more so than Sabbath, took blues based music to another level, creating what came to be called " heavy" rock.
I like the heavier stuff better. Led Zep's slower blues songs are not my favorite but I will listen to them when they are on, but that's about as blusey as I get.

I know I'll get jumped on, but I never got BB King.
Single note phrases and bends. I read, years ago, that the man himself said he wasn't much of a one for chords.
Tone? you might say, but plenty of players had great tone, Gilmour springs to mind straight off the bat. 🤔

I made this comment last year, but I still stand by it.
It's more about the full package with guys like BB. Same goes for a lot of the greats. Would Gilmour be as remembered if he hadn't also sung those classic songs? I don't think so.

I’ve always thought EVH’s impact on guitar is grossly over exaggerated. Now, before you jackasses unroll your cigs from your sleeve and jump in your bitchin’ camaro to chase me down, I’ll submit evidence.

This is his best work.

I dont think everybody is running 100% all the time every player has their terrible stoned out or drunk or weird mood moments does not take anything away from them or their greatness, it is what they have accomplished as a whole
And not many have done what EVH has done
But its ok we all have different taste, preferences and Opinions and well you know what they say about opinions

:guiness

I love and appreciate the influence of blues on rock. 1000%. But listening to straight blues music for me is
Over It Abandon Thread GIF

Me too. He can write some catchy riffs, but that's all I get. And keep your fucking politics out of it!! I don't give a shit if it's only written on the back of your guitar!
Yeah, if there's one thing I hate, it's songwriters writing about things they care about.

If you disagree with his POV, use it as a opportunity to present a counterpoint. And don't buy his records. But telling an artist to "shut it" is basically equivalent to telling an artist not to be an artist.

My wife and I were listening to Zep III last night. I've always had a soft spot for that album and I love Jimmy's acoustic playing and writing.
I edited my post. I meant III, but said II, then looked them all up to make sure and I like all of them, I, II, III, etc, so I just put said the Blusey ones. Not enough coffee yet this morning to get the brain moving, lol...

I dont think everybody is running 100% all the time every player has their terrible stoned out or drunk or weird mood moments does not take anything away from them or their greatness, it is what they have accomplished as a whole
And not many have done what EVH has done
But its ok we all have different taste, preferences and Opinions and well you know what they say about opinions

:guiness
It’s tough to convey sarcasm in writing. I guess I should have used an emoji.

While I don’t listen to much VH I do recognize Eddie’s contribution to guitar both in terms of ability and tone. People will be chasing the VH1 tone LONG after I’m gone.

I'll add one more to this pile, Joe Bonamassa. I can only listen to him for about 30 seconds before my attention span starts to run...

Although I wish I could play that well!

I have this innate, inexplicable disdain for the guy, and I don't where it comes from. He seems like a perfectly nice dude. Every time his name pops up though, I think, "Oh, christ, that fucking guy."

Ok, I’ve mostly reacted to posts in this thread but didn’t post my own.

Slash is someone I find unlistenable but I think it may be because his stuff is attached to Axl. I never got that band. I’ve only ever made it through one of their songs at the gym when i forgot my earbuds.

Back