Walrus "Line Isolator / DI Box" ....... is this ever needed (?)

BenIfin

Roadie
Hey all !

re: => this Walrus Line Isolator / DI pedal

Say you have a pedal something like a Boss GT1000 Core that does *not* have an XLR Out and does *not* have a Balanced TRS 1/4" Outs .... it just has an unbalanced TS 1/4" out

=> what exactly will this unit do to make your sound better in Line Isolator Mode (?)

=> and what actually does a Line Isolator *do* (?)

Sorry ....but when it comes to this sort of stuff I'm a bit "un-educated" ... it strikes me as a "solution looking for a problem" for modern Amp Sim Pedals / Boxes (?)

Ben

Line Isolators are handy if you are running into ground loop issues. Sometimes they’ll help to get rid of annoying noises. They can also be handy for dealing with impedance mismatches.

They’re problem solvers for when you have an issue that is getting in the way - you drop one in the circuit and you can carry on without getting bogged down. I have a Lehle line isolator in the studio and it’s excellent to have around. Totally clean and transparent and maintains the signal level accurate. Can also be used for numerous other things in a pinch. You should only really hear their effect if there is a problem - if everything is working as it should, you won’t get any improvements from using one

Last edited:
Back