Video Games

Totally agree. I didn't know what a Metroidvania was until I played Ori. I think it may be my favorite genre of game, along with action RPG's or blends of the two. After Ori, everyone said I had to play Hollow Knight next and that may be a top five game all time for me now.
Hollow Knight is a masterpiece, but occasional difficulty spikes ultimately put me off. I had a friend drop by to "fix" the game for me when I couldn't defeat Hornet. :D But eventually, the insta-death platforming challenges became too tedious for me.

I'm at a similar impasse with Tunic right now. The very first boss (Garden Knight) is too much of a PITA for me. I simply don't enjoy these bullet sponge, war of attrition fights in games whose combat isn't that great to begin with. And if I ratchet down the difficulty, I feel like I'm intentionally not playing the game, which kind of deflates the entire experience.

Man I loved Tunic so much. Really hope it gets some sort of sequel

I've pretty much conquered Hades 2 by now lol; only really have one thing left to do before I wait for the full release

Need to pick up something new :unsure:

I'm still working my way through Hollow Knight, and have been since 2020 lol.
I will play it ravenously for a few days and then forget about it for months....rinse and repeat a few times. Currently picking it back up and wondering why I left it for so long!

That game is so dense that I'm always surprised that I only have about 25 hours on my first playthrough so far. It feels like a hundred+ :rofl

New trailer at 9:55AM CST

I am kinda hyped, but at the same time I only got through ER with patience, damaged nerves (phys and psych) and a lot of cheese (Rivers of Blood + Mimic tear...). I don't know if I can find the strength again to beat even harder DLC bosses.

Other theme:

What are you fav mobile games? Bc of family stuff I get to play PC and console like... never.
Only chance is my Android phone at the moment.

I'm still working my way through Hollow Knight, and have been since 2020 lol.
I will play it ravenously for a few days and then forget about it for months....rinse and repeat a few times. Currently picking it back up and wondering why I left it for so long!

That game is so dense that I'm always surprised that I only have about 25 hours on my first playthrough so far. It feels like a hundred+ :rofl

First time I played it I thought "oh this game is really dark and creepy" and I wasn't loving it because I was going through a very anxious time. But after a bit I found it all very charming. Watching speedrunning videos helped me to figure out some things, although I would stop watching before too many spoilers.

I love checking boxes, so one of the fun things was getting all the achievements and doing 100%. Then there was the speedrunning challenges, which were fun. And then finally I did the 100% without dying. I didn't do all the DLC achievements as that felt like exponential work to finish but I replayed the game several times.

I'm also playing Hollow Knight right now. Thought I mentioned it already but it must've been the other site.

I did play it before on Switch but I found it too fiddly with the controller. I got it for free on PS a while ago and I'm much more enjoying it now with the PS5 controller. I'm two bosses, I think, from finishing it.

Probably be a bit longer to 112%. Which I intend doing before Silksong.

I play FROM games as co-op with friends or random folk. The big issue for me with Elden Ring was the lack of and then very poorly designed "colosseums" for PvP. The Arenas in DS3 were far superior.

If you could team up and match-play 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 in good PvP areas the game would be even more popular than it is, IMHO.

Hanging out for the DLC now, helping others kill Mohg. I should get my Lvl 17 into the Haligtree...

I'm also playing Hollow Knight right now. Thought I mentioned it already but it must've been the other site.

I did play it before on Switch but I found it too fiddly with the controller. I got it for free on PS a while ago and I'm much more enjoying it now with the PS5 controller. I'm two bosses, I think, from finishing it.

Probably be a bit longer to 112%. Which I intend doing before Silksong.

I got bigger controllers for the switch that are like full size controllers, I think called the hori split pad pro. Way better for everything.

New trailer at 9:55AM CST

I feel like I need a VaatiVidya video to explain to me the lore implications of all these story videos.

I'm really hoping they don't just amp up the DLC to ridiculousness in difficulty. The Dark Souls 3 DLCs had some real damage sponge enemies and I really hope From Software doesn't try to make some crazy ass multi-boss fight with 4 phases or something.

One of the failings of Elden Ring to me was that I didn't really love fighting any of the bosses. Most of them seemed to have some cheese moves that wreck you easily, or moves that even the most veteran Souls players have a difficult time dodging. I know Malenia was an optional boss, but it was a really unfair one with a very hard to dodge instakill move, healing on hit, very difficult for mage builds. It felt cheap.

One of the best bosses From has ever made is Maria in Bloodborne. That fight feels like you are constantly kept on your toes, but it feels very fair, like a proper duel with someone strong. I want to see more of that. In fact most of BB's bosses are really good designs with unique challenges. The ones in Sekiro are also really good.

Yeah, I definitely prefer using the Switch Pro Controller most of the time. Only use the joycons when playing handheld.
I’m curious to try the Hori Splitpad, but can’t really justify the cost when I already have the Pro Controller and mostly play docked anyway.

I play FROM games as co-op with friends or random folk. The big issue for me with Elden Ring was the lack of and then very poorly designed "colosseums" for PvP. The Arenas in DS3 were far superior.

If you could team up and match-play 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 in good PvP areas the game would be even more popular than it is, IMHO.

Hanging out for the DLC now, helping others kill Mohg. I should get my Lvl 17 into the Haligtree...
Elden Ring was amazing, but the big issue for me - as a primarily PvE player - was that Soulslikes don't actually work all that well as open worlds. I thought the game was at its best when I was working my way through one of the "legacy dungeons", which are relatively linear and more like all of the previous FromSoft games. Out in the open world, relying on From's sketchy signposting, it was too easy to lose the plot and start grinding simply because I wasn't sure "what's next?"

I feel like I need a VaatiVidya video to explain to me the lore implications of all these story videos.
LOL I've always said this about From's alleged "lore". If even half of the stuff you can find online is actually in the game itself, then From are profoundly bad storytellers. :D People will get on Reddit and transcribe what looks like the Silmarillion, and I just shake my head. "All of this, from a handful of item descriptions?"

I laughed out loud at the video they released yesterday. Once again, it's like someone scribbles two sentences on a cocktail napkin, someone else reads it r-e-e-e-a-l-l-y f***ing s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y in a vaguely British accent (always your standard good vs. evil boilerplate) and hey-o it's an Epic Tale™! The internet goes wild. :p (Good thing the gameplay itself is aces.)

One of the failings of Elden Ring to me was that I didn't really love fighting any of the bosses.
Bosses in general are the most overrated aspect of this entire genre. Annoying gate keepers that, at best, you put behind you; and at worst, stand between you and the game you want to play.

The ones in Sekiro are also really good.
Alas, I will never know. :D

LOL I've always said this about From's alleged "lore". If even half of the stuff you can find online is actually in the game itself, then From are profoundly bad storytellers. :D People will get on Reddit and transcribe what looks like the Silmarillion, and I just shake my head. "All of this, from a handful of item descriptions?"

I laughed out loud at the video they released yesterday. Once again, it's like someone scribbles two sentences on a cocktail napkin, someone else reads it r-e-e-e-a-l-l-y f***ing s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y in a vaguely British accent (always your standard good vs. evil boilerplate) and hey-o it's an Epic Tale™! The internet goes wild. :p (Good thing the gameplay itself is aces.)
Nah I think at least Vaati is usually pretty good at sticking to what is actually in the game. But because it's littered into item descriptions it's difficult to piece together a full story, and most of the cutscenes in the games are vague at best.

I don't necessarily hate it because leaving something up for imagination is good, sort of like you imagine things when reading a book to flesh out what you think the book's world looks like based on limited descriptions.

Bosses in general are the most overrated aspect of this entire genre. Annoying gate keepers that, at best, you put behind you; and, at worst, stand between you and the game you want to play.
To me the bosses, at their best, are half the fun. To me a good boss fight is something where you feel like you are going head to head against the enemy instead of just getting knocked down repeatedly, getting wrecked by bad hitboxes or struggling against the camera as well.

Nioh 2 is to me one of the best of the genre when it comes to boss fights. Each boss requires different tactics and there are only a few gimmick bosses or overly large "camera is the real enemy" bosses. Being able to cast debuffs on the boss, while managing your own buffs during the fight adds another layer. On top of you having a vastly bigger moveset than From games, and multiple stances to switch between slow but powerful and fast but wimpy attacks.

Sekiro fails by being so heavily parry-reliant to the point you can't do real damage to the bosses in any other way, but it's still very satisfying to be able to land those parries and dodges. The true final boss of the game is a fantastic way to require the player to use every single technique at their disposal to fight an enemy with an equally wide range of attacks where it just gets increasingly more epic with each phase. It's hard, but never feels like you failed for any other reason than your own mistakes.

But most of the bosses in ER are just not fun. From tried too hard to make bosses difficult for veteran Souls players, to the point that they are not fun for anyone, with their long combos and excessively delayed attacks. Most of the time you can't get more than 1 or 2 hits in and need to whittle down each boss.

While I'm looking forward to playing the ER DLC, to me Elden Ring is one of the more disappointing From games with its excessive scale, repetition of bosses, largely empty open world and few core gameplay improvements over Dark Souls 3.

Back