Update: Headed for a CAT scan....

Achilles

Rock Star
"Well, I've never seen that before." My wife went with me to translate. Says both ears are dark bluish deep inside which she thinks is blood. Gotta start taking Prednisone for the next 10 days and they set me up with an audiologist for later this afternoon. Doctor actually wrote 'STAT' on my chart in regards to the appt. :roflThought that was only in the movies. Anyway, the partially deaf adventure continues......

UGH. :hmm

Prednisone side effects: weight gain, insomnia, irritability, and sudden mood changes.
My wife is psyched! :rofl
Prednisone will fuck you up, seriously. Short term use only. Most doctors won't subscribe for long periods of time. My mom suffered severe side-effects from prolonged use. That's a whole other story -- but it can weaken your bones significantly.

1701714147160.png

sensorineural = SNHL or inner ear damage
TM = fancy word for eardrum
ENT = ear, nose, and throat
The H90.5 flags for insurance purposes

1701723596349.png

Last edited:
Rumor has it graphs are powerful tools around these parts. :giggle:

If that's the case, this one confirms it. O's is the right ear and the X's is left.

20231204_180428.jpg

Even before this episode the difference between my left and right was pretty similar - relatively speaking. The vast majority of my practice/jam/gig days was spent to the drummer's left in a power trio, so the right ear took all the cymbal crashes and most of my amp when I'd turn towards the other guys.

100% normal would be all data points within the two bold lines. Anything area above 60 is considered hearing loss. From about 1,500 hertz and upwards my ears are fucking toast.

The good news (and it's actually GREAT news) is the damage is not permanent. I'd read they can tell easily between temporary and permanent with fluid caused by an infection. The test hey do for this is cool. She placed this weird headset thing that had 3 individual points semi-tight against my skull and then one by one tested each ear with a combination of background white noise in the non-tested one and tones in the other via a pretty deep probe into the ear canal.

Guess the test pretty much bypasses your fluid encased eardrum and tests the 3 little bones that transmit the vibrations from drum to the beginnings of your brain. The test confirmed the bones are perfectly fine so they just need to treat the fluid build-up. Another doc appt. tomorrow to go over that.

The bad news is (and it ain't really THAT bad) is that all the gear lust I'd put on hold for fear of a permanent condition is now back on the radar. Mezzabarba Skill being at the top of the list.:crazy

That's scary. Between hands and ears. Yikes! Glad it is not permanent, and hope this
all gets sorted out for you as soon as possible. :beer

Another doc appt. tomorrow to go over that.

Gotta give Sharp Rees Steely some props here. They are not messing around. Saw my primary care doc yesterday morning at 9:00 then she got me right in to the audiologist last night at 5:00. Had a notification waiting for me this morning that my first appt. to start treatments is this afternoon at 2:00. Hopefully most of this stuff will be covered and there won't be any new year surprises from their billing dept.

Day 3 of steroids and I think it may be starting to clear. Hearing a tiny bit more upper end today.
This has been the 'partially deaf' rig the past couple weeks. Picked up a B-stock 10" cab just for the occasion and hoping that it's a keeper cause it just looks so damn cute with the V:25.

20231206_140928.jpg

Last edited:
Prednisone is nasty stuff, but it sure does clear things up. I have ulcerative colitis, and my original gastroenterologist used to prescribe that stuff when I had flareups. 40mg/day week one, 30mg week two, etc. I am all too familiar with the side effects.

40mg/day week one, 30mg week two, etc. I am all too familiar with the side effects.

They got me on 60mg each morning for 10 days. Already starting to hack up shit with flecks of blood in it from the nether regions of my skull.

Nasty gross picture alert. After a few minutes of trying finally scralked up this lovely clump from somewhere behind my right eye socket. Pressure in my brain immediately dropped by a bunch of psi. and I can very faintly hear the microwave beep out of my right ear. :giggle:

GROSS!

Last edited:
Reactions: V|J
Back