UAFX Enigmatic

I left the video playing in the background as I type this post and honestly I could not tell where the switches were or which was which.

This pretty much matches my experiences. If you do a good job at matching the tones and levels, and make the signal chain as reasonably close as you can, they sound so close that other features should matter more. I'd take a HX Stomp over the UA pedals any day because it does so much more in one box.

I don't think it's flawed at all, but instead minimizing variables and making switching and setting up much easier.

I haven't found that running e.g a "tube amp -> reactive load -> DAW -> VST plugin IR" vs "tube amp -> reactive load -> Fractal -> Fractal cab sim using the same IR" to produce any real difference in results.

If you record a DI track or loop of your performance with whichever unit you prefer, piping that DI through the pedal and modeler any "feel" is already out of the equation because you're no longer playing directly.
Let's put it like this, I much prefer Ox over any other IR.
That said it like IRs are a much bigger "equalizer" then a speaker and mic even at whisper volume.

For me it comes down to the attack aspect of the sound.
Whatever happened to the front end with gag of the note going from.0 to peak and the drop on the way there.

On digital stuff i call this the fun factor.
And I gotta say I don't think any multi sound Digi device using the same input, will have a change in that between "amps".
Mosdef not in the frontend

Although I doubt the UAFX boxes have different input stuff.

I don't know if it's the conversion alone. The input impedance for the UA pedals is 500k, not the usual 1M. That alone will change the tone. It was the reason why I couldn't use my Sparkle Drive in the loop of the HX effects and why I avoid it on my HX Stomp because it needs the impedance change to sound "right".
500k is an odd choice, I wonder why they did that?

You’re playing a stomp now? I thought you weren’t a fan?

D

500k is an odd choice, I wonder why they did that?

You’re playing a stomp now? I thought you weren’t a fan?

D
Not sure, but won't say it doesn't work, UA stuff sounds amazing.

I've been playing for quite a while. I am a fan. Best sounding? No. But considering the size and what it can do it's a rather amazing piece of gear. Very useful in many scenarios.

Last edited:
GSG is probably the best amp in helix. The PAB switch is great, lately I just leave it on. The drive is good too but it’s even better with a good transparent analog overdrive pedal in front. The litigator with a kinky boost in front gives the gsg a run for its money and saves a little DSP.

The drive is good too but it’s even better with a good transparent analog overdrive pedal in front.

The best sound I've found so far is a light driven GSG with a real ODR-1 mini (that I just bought in a sale) in front. Strangely enough, on its own in front of a clean amp, the ODR is too bassy (I mean, there's a reason why the new bigger version has a bass cut and the newest versions of either even have a bass pot), something you usually don't want when pushing an amp, but with the GSG it adds a certain "bloom" that I absolutely dig. It's also reacting incredibly nice to playing dynamics, different pickups and the volume pot.
Here's a quick shot I did when the drive arrived, no further processing, just pressed record to see whether it'd sound as good on playback as it felt when playing (and yes, the switch is crackling, but I ordered a new one along with the drive and it's already replaced...). I could possibly play 90% of all rhythm guitars with just that sound.

The litigator with a kinky boost in front gives the gsg a run for its money and saves a little DSP.

I never liked the Litigator much. Compared with the GSG, it sounds pretty thin for my taste.

Last edited:
Sounds great!

I felt the same way about the litigator. I’m only recently coming around to it. I think it needs the kinky boost to fatten it up. It can sound a little brittle on its own. I run them both through the same 112 open cast cab settings.

Looks like we have some native plugin versions of the amp sims on the way (which is great news, well done to UAD for getting these out sooner rather than later).

Sounds great!

I felt the same way about the litigator. I’m only recently coming around to it. I think it needs the kinky boost to fatten it up. It can sound a little brittle on its own. I run them both through the same 112 open cast cab settings.
I’ve tried to tone match the litigator and GSG and there’s something so particular about the GSG’s “hifi” sound that I struggle to wrap my head around. I got close by putting boost between the amp and the cab.

I'm testing out the Enigmatic into a Fryette PS-2A and Friedman DS 1x12 cab - gotta say this thing sounds great with cabs bypassed in that setup. I feel the same about the Lion. I have not had the same reaction with some other modelers in a power amp and traditional cab setup.

I've been in severe FOMO and retail therapy mode lately. May end up selling an FM9 after this (and my Fractal VP4 arrives).

Back