Tube Screamer

Tube Screamer

• Yes

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
I usually start off with drive completely off and then dial it in to taste for the sound I’m looking for.

Sometimes it ends up being none, sometimes it’s more. I usually like to find a blend between the amp distortion and the pedal distortion

This is what I tend to do as well. I still wonder how much the diode is in play and
what kind of clipping might still be going on when set to Zero. :idk

I have a Lovepedal Kanji Eterenity Overdrive that I love much with a little clipping
in front. Just sounds so good that the pedal clipping melts into the amp tone. :chef

I’ve had a BBE Green Screamer and SD-1 as my TS flavors. I use them for boosting. I never had a clean mid-scooped amp to pair with them. I was always curious to see what I was missing from a proper TS808.

This is what I tend to do as well. I still wonder how much the diode is in play and
what kind of clipping might still be going on when set to Zero. :idk

I have a Lovepedal Kanji Eterenity Overdrive that I love much with a little clipping
in front. Just sounds so good that the pedal clipping melts into the amp tone. :chef

I always figure it’s probably still doing something even when gain is at zero, but it’s usually impossible to tell because of that “melting into the amp” thing. That’s where it’s at with good drive pedals and tube amps!

Digital used to really struggle with that, the two would sort of sit on top of each other instead of melting.

I’ve never playing a real Eternity, how similar is the Fractal model?

I was always curious to see what I was missing from a proper TS808.
I say nothing.
The circuit is super simple with a few cents worth of components but for some reason there's a lot of myth around it.
On the other hand, a well built pedal by a reputable company will have better quality control, quieter, last longer, and will have a resale value.
My Aliexpress Mosky Tubescreamer makes a bad whine noise, probably the fake opamp... oh yes, that's too, fake components.
BBE IS a reputable company.

I do like the non mid hump Rodenberg TS.

but even back in the day I preferred my dist+ to just about anything. Although I was 99% of the time playing Marshalls.

The thing about the DS1 I don’t think it’s shaving the bass why I liked it into the T-verb but that it changed the slew rate.

The Rodenberg feels opposite and make the slew rate steeper/faster.
Go figure

Last edited:
I don't really like Tubescreamers.
When I do need something like it, I have a fulldrive 2 Mosfet in my pedal drawer (to which the EQD Dunes should be a close relative, judging from the switching options and the asymmetrical clipping. Both DS-1, basically.)
The Vintage/Flat Mids/Comp cut (read as: no clipping) switch is great, the Mosfet option is nice.
It's big and hunky, but for studio use I kinda like it.
Now that the Fulltone price spike seems to have come down, they are pretty ubiquitous again.

I do like the non mid hump Rodenberg TS.

but even back in the day I preferred my dist+ to just about anything. Although I was 99% of the time playing Marshalls.

The thing about the DS1 I don’t think it’s shaving the bass why I liked it into the T-verb but that it changed the slew rate.

The Rodenberg feels opposite and make the slew rate steeper/faster.
Go figure
That slew rate thing is a fun one.
I really noticed it first on a RAT style pedal just feeling incredibly fast and precise.
Perhaps I should give that Rodenberg a shot...

That slew rate thing is a fun one.
I really noticed it first on a RAT style pedal just feeling incredibly fast and precise.
Perhaps I should give that Rodenberg a shot...
If you like fast from the dozen or so OD boxes I got it’s modded the fastest.

It's what tube amps crave?
:unsure:

od808.jpg

Edit:
I need to give the OD808 a fair run with my amps before I say the diode-less SD-1 is better.

There are some days and setups when a TS9 is the perfect pedal, other days it can be like "it's too dark, not enough clarity." The older I get the more I seem to crave a sharper attack with more clarity overall so the TS is getting less usage. I'll probably come back to it again though. :rofl

It's what tube amps crave?
:unsure:

View attachment 23601

Edit:
I need to give the OD808 a fair run with my amps before I say the diode-less SD-1 is better.
It always even with diode is better with amps with any kinda pre-amp crunch.

Only guy that makes a TS I have use for is Rodenberg because he de-mwahs it otherwise it’ll always be squeaky bathroom duck

Sd1 also changes the slew rate which goes opposite to what I dig but it’ll make rectors actually a nice ride as we all know.
Except the general idea that it’s the bass cut is nonsense.

There are some days and setups when a TS9 is the perfect pedal, other days it can be like "it's too dark, not enough clarity." The older I get the more I seem to crave a sharper attack with more clarity overall so the TS is getting less usage. I'll probably come back to it again though. :rofl
Rodenberg…

ts.jpg

8smtyx.jpg

Edit:
Still experimenting with the Maxon and now the Plumes.
So far the Plumes and SD-1 eat Maxon's lunch, the OD808 is weak in comparison to the massive volume boost the diode-less SD-1 and Plumes on Mode 2 have.

View attachment 23631
View attachment 23632

Edit:
Still experimenting with the Maxon and now the Plumes.
So far the Plumes and SD-1 eat Maxon's lunch, the OD808 is weak in comparison to the massive volume boost the diode-less SD-1 and Plumes on Mode 2 have.

How do you like the plumes? I only have the helix model to toy with but I found it way too bright and the tone control doesn’t really tame the highs. Looking at it on an RTA confirmed it for me. I rather have the mid hump of a TS/SD-1

How do you like the plumes? I only have the helix model to toy with but I found it way too bright and the tone control doesn’t really tame the highs. Looking at it on an RTA confirmed it for me. I rather have the mid hump of a TS/SD-1

Yes, Plumes retains more high frequencies than the TS, even leaning towards a treble booster.
On Mode 2 with the Tone on 10 it has the same response as the Rangemaster.

I would not use TS style drives as a core 'overdrive' sound into a clean amp, I really don't like that sound, so for me the Plumes is just another flavor of boost for an already overdriven tube amp.

I agree with someone here who used the adjective "mushy" for Tubescreamer tone.

If I'm doing a stomp from that family, it's either my BYOC Yellow Overdrive (OD-1 Clone) or MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive (modded SD-1 style).

My BYOC Yellow Overdrive
b.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

The OD-1 has a nice hi-pass and a midrange peak at 800Hz:

BOSS OD-1 Freqs.jpg

And here's the freqs using the original 14pin chip (the BYOC uses the 14pin chip) vs the "newer" 8pin chip:

od-1 8pin vs od-1 14pin.jpg

Speaking about Tube Screamers: Have you guys ever tried a TS7? Was my first effect ever (that or a "SM7"). It has some kind of "HOT" mode going on, that makes it a kind of medium gain standalone OD. If you find some used buy it.

Speaking about Tube Screamers: Have you guys ever tried a TS7? Was my first effect ever (that or a "SM7"). It has some kind of "HOT" mode going on, that makes it a kind of medium gain standalone OD. If you find some used buy it.
The Ibanez SM7 is the SmashBox. AKA Turn Everything Into A "Rectifier" pedal. Loved it at the time \m/

Back