• No

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

James Freeman

Rock Star
Tube Screamer

ibanez_tube_screamer.png

Last edited:
I remove the diodes from my TS style boost, this makes them so much better at actually pushing crunchy amps into high gain or tightening the front-end of an already high gain amp.
I have a Maxon OD808 on the way just because it's a classic, but I really like my diode-less SD-1.

Another vote for "Yes with Fenders" or other scooped mids amps. IMO Klons can sort of go into the same territory, but with less heavy-handed mids.

I remove the diodes from my TS style boost, this makes them so much better at actually pushing crunchy amps into high gain or tightening the front-end of an already high gain amp.
I did the same with an old DS-1. Makes it much more useful imo.

Where's the "Sometimes," option?? :idk

All about set and setting. What's the amp? What kind of music we playing?

Never used any gear in a vacuum. :LOL:

I have a TS808 clone and a SD-1waza. I don't hear a huge amount of difference when boosting a crunchy amp tbh, it is quite subtle. I like both.

Hmm. Borrowed a TS from a good buddy for a while, and although they're very close, preferred my SD-1 when I felt I wanted that mid boost thing.

That said, I outgrew the bass cut, as time went by. It does tighten things up, but nowadays I'm under the impression it also takes away too much. 🤷‍♂️

Context is everything with tubescreamers. I’m with others here in my preference for them in Fender on Fender scenarios. I’ve also had some success recently using one between my SG and 2204 though I tend to prefer other things for that setup.

I remove the diodes from my TS style boost, this makes them so much better at actually pushing crunchy amps

I’ve done this with various circuits. If you haven’t already, LEDs as clippers is a useful alternative. I find them less compressed than ge or si diodes while still providing useful flavor.

That said, I outgrew the bass cut, as time went by. It does tighten things up, but nowadays I'm under the impression it also takes away too much. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, that can be an issue and in cases even the clarity in the top end is masked or shifted. But the TS does a thing and that's why it's perfect for certain setups. I have a TS9 which has sweetness to it, but prefer the Green Rhino MKIV to remedy a few of the 'issues' above. But even then I prefer an OD-3 because it's a nice thickener but still allowing the base tone to come through in a way I like.

Yeah, that can be an issue and in cases even the clarity in the top end is masked or shifted. But the TS does a thing and that's why it's perfect for certain setups. I have a TS9 which has sweetness to it, but prefer the Green Rhino MKIV to remedy a few of the 'issues' above. But even then I prefer an OD-3 because it's a nice thickener but still allowing the base tone to come through in a way I like.
The OD-3 is a sleeper, but it's very different from a TS or SD-1, much more transparent/natural sounding.

If I could only have one drive pedal for the rest of my life it would be a TS808

I do tend to prefer the TS with Fenders and the SD-1 with Gibsons, I also slightly prefer the SD-1 with Vox amps.

The bass cut and mid hump is such a perfect tool for poking out just the right amount for a solo live

Last edited:
Back