Tone X Capture Thread

Is that Kemper for sale? :rofl

This weekend I’m going to work out how to record a DI of the sounds the Tonex uses when it processes the first part of the capture (the part where it plays the sine wave and prerecorded riffs). Then I’m going to use that DI into the Kemper during the Refine process and see if it does any better than the way I normally Refine a profile.

:rollsafe

@northern_fox

Do you have any captures you want to share that are on Tone Net?

Totally cool if not

I will absolutely - but I have only uploaded my ampeg SS70C. I've been waiting on this new reamp box and doing a lot of testing to figure out the best process first. I've done a few others, but none of them are honestly that good so far so I haven't added any.

There's a way of reamping and using the resulting capture file with tonex instead of doing it all in real time, and I've been working on doing that consistently and finding the best levels / tracking the error rate with the log file. In some ways it's better because you can just record a bunch of audio and "capture" it later on, but in some ways more annoying due to the fact that it's not really meant to be done that way.

Also seem to struggle with the gain. Every capture comes out with substantially less gain than it should, and boosting it too much after completely ruins the sound of the capture. I haven't figured out why this is the case. So far I've been having more luck with other people's captures than my own

I will absolutely - but I have only uploaded my ampeg SS70C. I've been waiting on this new reamp box and doing a lot of testing to figure out the best process first. I've done a few others, but none of them are honestly that good so far so I haven't added any.

There's a way of reamping and using the resulting capture file with tonex instead of doing it all in real time, and I've been working on doing that consistently and finding the best levels / tracking the error rate with the log file. In some ways it's better because you can just record a bunch of audio and "capture" it later on, but in some ways more annoying due to the fact that it's not really meant to be done that way.

Also seem to struggle with the gain. Every capture comes out with substantially less gain than it should, and boosting it too much after completely ruins the sound of the capture. I haven't figured out why this is the case. So far I've been having more luck with other people's captures than my own
The gain complaint is certainly a common one....along with I think the treble response? I think @pipelineaudio was discussing this in another thread

The gain complaint is certainly a common one....along with I think the treble response? I think @pipelineaudio was discussing this in another thread

The QC has a treble response issue too that I can only describe as a "rasp" where there should be a void. Someone described it well as "the treble hangs in the sound a little too long". It's hard to notice unless you're listening to the right kind of riff and A/Bing, but now that I hear it it's hard to unhear. I at least don't hear that as much with tonex. Results at too low gain though... there's not really a way to fix it. Some of my more recent ones I tried just boosting more in post but the captures just get into fuzzy range then and sound generally bad. I need to maybe try just pushing the amp harder than I intend to with the capture signal and backing it off for comparison.

In general I don't think pushing the gain on a lot of tonex models works very well

Dual Rec caps are up. I'm pretty happy with these. I love this amp!

LhbXavN.png

lbdMTvQ.png

Oh hell yeah! I'm gassing to buy a DR multi watt sometime in the near future and I'm trying all the recto caps I can. These sound awesome

I need a blacked out one like that with pink lights inside

The QC has a treble response issue too that I can only describe as a "rasp" where there should be a void. Someone described it well as "the treble hangs in the sound a little too long". It's hard to notice unless you're listening to the right kind of riff and A/Bing, but now that I hear it it's hard to unhear. I at least don't hear that as much with tonex. Results at too low gain though... there's not really a way to fix it. Some of my more recent ones I tried just boosting more in post but the captures just get into fuzzy range then and sound generally bad. I need to maybe try just pushing the amp harder than I intend to with the capture signal and backing it off for comparison.

In general I don't think pushing the gain on a lot of tonex models works very well
Yeah I feel like every digital devices has a downside. Still waiting for the goldilocks device :rofl

Oh hell yeah! I'm gassing to buy a DR multi watt sometime in the near future and I'm trying all the recto caps I can. These sound awesome

I need a blacked out one like that with pink lights inside
Tex has some great Helios caps as well. I suggest checking out any made by them

Often, the issues with capturing is due to interference from other electrical devices. Of course this hard to avoid. If you stay in the digital realm it's amazing how accurate some of the devices are.

Often, the issues with capturing is due to interference from other electrical devices. Of course this hard to avoid. If you stay in the digital realm it's amazing how accurate some of the devices are.

Definitely - I now go extremely far out of my way to minimize. Sometimes using tools like reafir fft on the captured track before training with it can help reduce the noise floor too with miminal impact. Stuff like the morely hum killer boxes are really helpful too (not the 60 cycle things but the passive transformers).

Unrelated:
God I hope IK improves the search/sort though. Not being able to filter by creator on the app is absolutely terrible. I can't even see the content I've created separately to edit / upload

Unrelated:
God I hope IK improves the search/sort though. Not being able to filter by creator on the app is absolutely terrible. I can't even see the content I've created separately to edit / upload
You can sort by my tone models.

Though I wish it didn't reset on exit.

I have to think that would truly be the ultimate device

I was going to sell the FM9 until I read this....now I have to wait and see if the idea gets rejected by Fractal lest I make a big mistake!
PXL_20230306_012626161.jpg

I was doing this but it feels too big / overkill and kind of heavy so I'm going to use the hx with it on a smaller board

I just snagged a HX stomp to pair with the Tone X

I hate my brain because I can't decide which way to do it. Using it in the fractal loop is kind of annoying because then you have only output 1 for both FOH and cab, or you have to feedback to 2 out and do a bunch of panning and stuff. The HX is actually more flexible, routing wise and smaller and I'm not that big on FX, so the fm3 feels like I'm forcing it.

Back