Tone X Capture Thread

As I've said a million times before, I often find watching an idiot fumble his way through a piece of gear, to the extent I have patience to watch it, can tell me a lot .more about a piece of gear than what Pete Thorn does with it.
Really? That's quite a puzzling statement to me....

To me that would be like saying I'd rather watch someone who failed basic algebra fumble through solving an algebraic equation than someone that knows what they are doing - how do you learn what the unit is capable of then?

Really? That's quite a puzzling statement to me....

To me that would be like saying I'd rather watch someone who failed basic algebra fumble through solving an algebraic equation than someone that knows what they are doing - how do you learn what the unit is capable of then?
Not really. It's not like I don't know algebra/gear/guitar. I learn what the unit is capable of by reading the spec sheet/manual. I've never watched a Pete Thorn video and been like "ooooo, I had no idea you could do THAT!".

So I can watch Pete Thorn and see a super well produced video by a guy that actually prepared to shoot the video, possibly did multiple takes if he screwed something up, and has a gig where the whole goal is to make the thing look it's best (not shaming that at all!).

I watched a little bit of the Tony McKenzie video last night and I learned (1) "ugh. Aside from adjusting basic tone stack, this thing is going to require software.". (2). Wow, now THAT'S a properly shielded input jack, Fractal!". (3) hrm, I'd probably need MIDI to select preset beyond bank 1 given my hatred of two-button-banking and (4) holy shit!! Even Tony M. Sounds pretty good!!!! The only other gear I've heard him sound okay through were UA amp pedals.this thing must be super plug-n-play straight outta the box. It wasn't necessarily enjoyable or anything. I mean, it basically put me to sleep at bedtime. But I also don't really find Pete Thorn's videos fun to watch either...he's a great player and sometimes he writes music I like, but often it sounds like (really well played, well produced, better than I could ever make) filler.

Only two of the above things would I have learned from a Pete Thorn video. The only Pete Thorn vid of a product I was interested that made me think "ew, actually, no" was the Suhr analog cab sim. Not even Pete could make that sound like anything other than an analog cab sim.

Not really. It's not like I don't know algebra/gear/guitar. I learn what the unit is capable of by reading the spec sheet/manual. I've never watched a Pete Thorn video and been like "ooooo, I had no idea you could do THAT!".

So I can watch Pete Thorn and see a super well produced video by a guy that actually prepared to shoot the video, possibly did multiple takes if he screwed something up, and has a gig where the whole goal is to make the thing look it's best (not shaming that at all!).

I watched a little bit of the Tony McKenzie video last night and I learned (1) "ugh. Aside from adjusting basic tone stack, this thing is going to require software.". (2). Wow, now THAT'S a properly shielded input jack, Fractal!". (3) hrm, I'd probably need MIDI to select preset beyond bank 1 given my hatred of two-button-banking and (4) holy s**t!! Even Tony M. Sounds pretty good!!!! The only other gear I've heard him sound okay through were UA amp pedals.this thing must be super plug-n-play straight outta the box. It wasn't necessarily enjoyable or anything. I mean, it basically put me to sleep at bedtime. But I also don't really find Pete Thorn's videos fun to watch either...he's a great player and sometimes he writes music I like, but often it sounds like (really well played, well produced, better than I could ever make) filler.

Only two of the above things would I have learned from a Pete Thorn video. The only Pete Thorn vid of a product I was interested that made me think "ew, actually, no" was the Suhr analog cab sim. Not even Pete could make that sound like anything other than an analog cab sim.
I get the anti-Tony thing as much as I know what it stems from. And I certainly don't want to listen to him play. But I kind of don't mind his general laid back talking format? I don't take everything as gospel but I get your point completely about observations from your average Joe POV.

I get the anti-Tony thing as much as I know what it stems from. And I certainly don't want to listen to him play. But I kind of don't mind his general laid back talking format? I don't take everything as gospel but I get your point completely about observations from your average Joe POV.
I don't even care about his observations. It's watching the little bit of time he actually navigates the unit. With the ToneX you could tell once he got into the menus that he couldn't quickly figure out how to get back out of menu mode...he got there, but you could see him stumble. That gives me a MUCH better idea about how intuitive the unit is to use than watching an actual professional walk through making a preset that he has already made before. Anyone can make that look pretty easy and intuitive, because they aren't relying on intuition but past experience.

His Axe III review sold me on going Fractal because I could see even an idiot like him was able to make his way all the menus on the hardware unit pretty easily.

I don't even care about his observations. It's watching the little bit of time he actually navigates the unit. With the ToneX you could tell once he got into the menus that he couldn't quickly figure out how to get back out of menu mode...he got there, but you could see him stumble. That gives me a MUCH better idea about how intuitive the unit is to use than watching an actual professional walk through making a preset that he has already made before. Anyone can make that look pretty easy and intuitive, because they aren't relying on intuition but past experience.

His Axe III review sold me on going Fractal because I could see even an idiot like him was able to make his way all the menus on the hardware unit pretty easily.
Did he complain about how hard it was to navigate then edit some factory presets and sell them as his own? :sofa :rofl

204E7E06-0EBB-49D6-BD9A-EE147446B94B.gif

Hey y’all! What about those TONEX captures?

Slightly brighter take on the Piranha, after realizing the "Loop" control adds a mid boost even when the fx loop isn't being used. Off this time. Also updated previous one with more consistent meta info. Which, BTW - it seems you cannot change after uploading :(

Ok, I’m either dense or my brain just doesn’t have the capacity to handle all of this routing.

I want to capture my Helix Native tones in TONEX.

I’m running Logic on a Mac with Loopback for routing. @texhex or anyone know how to achieve this?

Back