Tone chasing - CoC help?

Fireproof

Shredder
Hey folks - quick question. I just love the dirty tones on Corrosion of Conformity’s Albatross and Clean My Wounds.

What amp/drives/etc., would I start with to get close to these tones? (I’m using an FM9 if there’s any specific guidance there).

Great stuff. Don't hear them mentioned often.

Weren't they using Mesa Boogie DC-3s/5s around that time?
Are those the same thing as the 50 Calibre? Mesa has the Marks and the Recto then everything else is always a little harder to keep track of. Some sleepers, some internet "confirmed" turds and some that seem to fall in both of those categories.

Great stuff. Don't hear them mentioned often.

Weren't they using Mesa Boogie DC-3s/5s around that time?
I’m not sure. I’ve heard they used Mesa Dual Rec and an Orange Rockerverb or something? Some places they say they just used a tube screamer and wah, others say there’s some kind of fuzzier drive?

Are those the same thing as the 50 Calibre? Mesa has the Marks and the Recto then everything else is always a little harder to keep track of. Some sleepers, some internet "confirmed" turds and some that seem to fall in both of those categories.

DC= Dual Calibre and was a later iteration of the 50 Cal and 50 Cal +.

Think Pepper changed to Oranges later on.... after those songs/albums were recorded.

I also recall reading that Pepper Keenan strings his axe (ESP) with a wound G for extra punch and uses a bass pick
:idk

Damn, I didn’t even know a CoC existed where Pepper wasn’t the singer.

:bag
1st era---hardcore
2nd era---doomy metal with a post-thrash tinge
3rd era---stoner rock
Some other oddballs thrown in where they worked as a 3 piece again, then with different drummers, then with Reed and Karl Agell from Blind doing that album in it's entirety, iirc? Lots of good stuff throughout.

1st era---hardcore
2nd era---doomy metal with a post-thrash tinge
3rd era---stoner rock
Some other oddballs thrown in where they worked as a 3 piece again, then with different drummers, then with Reed and Karl Agell from Blind doing that album in it's entirety, iirc? Lots of good stuff throughout.

I never even heard them until “Albatross” was on the radio all the time in the mid-90’s, there was another that came out around that time, too, probably the same album.

Back