This one is for you Stone.

Out of the couple of hundred EVH guitars I have set up not one has had fret sprout. Over bevelled edge is by far more of an issue and that is quite rare. Fret sprout is not really a QC issue because it happens after the guitar is boxed up and if you get one it’s a very easy fix on a raw neck . Also once done it’s not going to happen again.
They must ship all the good ones to you. About 2/3 of what we see requires a sidefile, and every EVH guitar I've picked up at Sweetwater was unplayable. @gdhi11 can confirm that, since he actually was looking to get one. Once you get them set up, they're cool guitars though.

Last edited:
They must ship all the good ones to you. About 2/3 of what we see requires a sidefile, and every EVH guitar I've picked up at Sweetwater was unplayable. @gdhi11 can confirm that, since he actually was looking to get one. Once you get them set up, they're cool guitars though.
Climate where they are being stored must be your issue because they never have this problem and it takes time to happen.

Where I live I bought my own files and assume any fretted instrument I buy will need some filing of fret ends.

We get huge humidity swings and it gets extremely dry here.

Where I live I bought my own files and assume any fretted instrument I buy will need some filing of fret ends.

We get huge humidity swings and it gets extremely dry here.
Yeah, and I'm just not remotely convinced FMIC does a good job seasoning their wood, whether it's Fender, Charvel, or EVH. The Indo EVH stuff actually comes in less problematic than the MIM stuff does (though overall lower quality, obviously).

If I were going to get a guitar with that vibe and setup, it better have the stripes on it.

Back