This is weird... I'm actually really happy with my HX Stomp amps right now

HX Stomp XL here for me, too. Acoustic, electric and bass. Hard to beat with the 3.5 update!

I've been having a blast with my HX Stomp XL ever since 3.5. I barely, if ever, bother with IRs now.

I'm also in love with the new Dynamic Ambience reverb - particularly for headphone practice.

Last edited:
I’ve tried an NDSP plugin, S Gear and currently use HX native.

Loved S gear but all of them can be dialed in so close, it’s not worth bothering over, for me.

Helix just took longer to dial in but is equally enjoyable.

But I practice unplugged and enjoy that as well.. guess I’m easy to please.

Didn’t care for pod hd400 though.

I've been having a blast with my HX Stomp XL ever since 3.5. I barely, if ever, bother with IRs now.

I'm also in love with the new Dynamic Ambience reverb - particularly for headphone practice.
Yeah I re-did my presets and don't use IRs anymore. The stock cabs are fantastic now!

Same here. The cab update in 3.5 was a great addition. My Helix is seeing the most use out of the modelers I have and now I can enjoy what Two Notes did right with the IR game in my Helix.

So I just got another HX Stomp, loaded up some of my old favorite Ownhammer IR's I haven't used in a while, and have been really enjoying the tones.

I found that when I started recording guitar for songs, I really liked using Helix Native for mixing, but disliked playing through an interface with the added latency and input level ambiguity. The Stomp should let me dial in tones and record dry tracks through USB which I can then edit after the fact with Native.

I can also use the Stomp with my small pedalboard for modulation and time based effects. Planning to run it with the Friedman Smallbox and snagged a cheap Friedman Golden Pearl to try that as a transparent overdrive/boost.

Anyways, I pulled the old trusty OH-1 mixes from the quick start folder, the old Ownhammer packs from before the Revolution and newer revamps. Those had some of my all time favorite IR's like the GNR 4x12 25 watt greenbacks or Deluxe Reverb with alnico Fane. These IR's tend to have a little more bass and be a little more scooped in the mids than say York Audio, which can sound a bit like a mild wah pedal swept to a certain point and left there.

These old Ownhammer packs were the first aftermarket IR's I really liked, and they seem to work well with the Stomp and with my Sennheiser HD6xx headphones.

Also, I may have ordered a custom 3D printed desktop stand:

il_570xN.3665961525_6xvr.jpg

il_570xN.2852351849_n5d4.jpg

So I just got another HX Stomp, loaded up some of my old favorite Ownhammer IR's I haven't used in a while, and have been really enjoying the tones.

I found that when I started recording guitar for songs, I really liked using Helix Native for mixing, but disliked playing through an interface with the added latency and input level ambiguity. The Stomp should let me dial in tones and record dry tracks through USB which I can then edit after the fact with Native.

I can also use the Stomp with my small pedalboard for modulation and time based effects. Planning to run it with the Friedman Smallbox and snagged a cheap Friedman Golden Pearl to try that as a transparent overdrive/boost.

Anyways, I pulled the old trusty OH-1 mixes from the quick start folder, the old Ownhammer packs from before the Revolution and newer revamps. Those had some of my all time favorite IR's like the GNR 4x12 25 watt greenbacks or Deluxe Reverb with alnico Fane. These IR's tend to have a little more bass and be a little more scooped in the mids than say York Audio, which can sound a bit like a mild wah pedal swept to a certain point and left there.

These old Ownhammer packs were the first aftermarket IR's I really liked, and they seem to work well with the Stomp and with my Sennheiser HD6xx headphones.

Also, I may have ordered a custom 3D printed desktop stand:

il_570xN.3665961525_6xvr.jpg

il_570xN.2852351849_n5d4.jpg
That stand is slick!

That stand is slick!

Yeah it’s probably overpriced but I couldn’t find anything else that made sense. I love it as a little desktop pedal I can just run a guitar and headphones into, and also was using for streaming audio too. But I wanted it tilted up so I could use easily. I have a laptop/tablet stand but that’s massive, and most cell phone stands are elevated. This is just a wedge that won’t slide around, but perfect size and shape.

Have you tried the new stock cabs yet?

Yes I got to use them quite a bit last year before selling the HX Stomp XL, and then also with Helix Native. They are very good, a big improvement over the old stock cabs. Good enough that you don't really need aftermarket IR's for the most part.

But for me these old Ownhammer IR's are nice because I'm familiar with them and they require no editing. Just drop them in. They have their own sound too. Not a better/worse thing.

Hooked the Stomp up to my board to play around with a couple effects.

First time I compared everything, I noticed there was a little high end loss running the cables. so I used a couple 6" MXR patch cables and that seemed to keep the bypassed pedals in the loop pretty similar. The Analog Chorus has a crappy buffer built into it so there's some high end and signal loss.

For chorus tones, I could get them 90-95% matched. For my MXR Analog Chorus, I used the 70s Chorus model, which is a Boss CE-1. That could get pretty similar sounding outside of the EQ controls which I don't care about. But I can also get the 70s Chorus levels matched better and I prefer how the rate sounds with the model over the physical pedal. For the EHX Nano Clone, the standard Chorus model is a little closer after tweaking, although it's not quite the same, but in the ballpark.

Then for overdrive, I compared my MXR Fat Sugar (Klone) with the Minotaur model, and it's really really close. I recorded a loop and shut my eyes and flipped between them and kept guessing wrong. I think the MXR has more volume and gain on tap but it's close. The MXR may be a hair fatter or less mid pushed, but it's just a hair.

Then comparing the Adriatic Delay (modded bucket brigade) to the MXR Carbon Copy...surprisingly close! You can really hear the noise and distortion of the analog pedal when you A/B them. But lowering the headroom of the Helix model gets them very similar. The MXR is a little bit darker which is kind of expected as I think the Adriatic is modeled on the Boss DM-2. But honestly the model is so close it would work just fine in a mix. Same thing when you add the modulation in...you have to crank the depth up a bit but it's in the ballpark for sure.

Overall very impressed. That's a big reason I wanted to get another HX Stomp...I flipped through a bunch of pedals and every time I got one there was some additional disappointment. At least with the Stomp I can virtually add different things without shopping for new pedals and then having dumb issues like crappy buffers killing the signal chain.

Back