This is weird... I'm actually really happy with my HX Stomp amps right now

At the moment this testing has all been done with "FRFR" at moderate levels (around 90db) and IEMs. I just checked my global EQ settings and forgot I'm doing a bit more there as well:

HPF: 100Hz
LPF: 10.1kHz
6.0kHz +1.5db

Not sure yet how that will translate to my live environment. Seems like my ears are really wanting to hear more in the 6k range... not sure if that's just my monitor, or if it's the voicing of the HX

I'd check the +10@150 and all the 6k at high volume and possibly with a PA because they seem a bit extreme to me.
Of course I have no idea what sound are we talking about.

I'd check the +10@150 and all the 6k at high volume and possibly with a PA because they seem a bit extreme to me.
Of course I have no idea what sound are we talking about.

Yeah, good idea. I agree, it does seem extreme, especially the +10@150.

It’s very possible I’m compensating for something I’m hearing in the frequency response of the "FRFR" I’m using here. Or maybe even just the room. I’ve only tested this in one room through one speaker.

On the other hand, I always feel like there’s too much upper mids in the HX amps so maybe I’m compensating for that with more low mids and low highs?

Just thinking that the fact that I’m having these conversations about post EQ is probably a good sign that I should stick to digital instead of going tube amp.

I almost pulled the trigger on a /13 jrt 9/15 yesterday but I started worrying about not having enough ability to shape the EQ on the amp

Wow, the biggest factor for me is definitely the input impedance. I'm going to see if I can post a clip showing the difference I'm hearing. Setting it around 70 or 90 really takes off that harsh edge I don't like.

Also decided I like 200Hz better than 150Hz for that low bump. Still prefer it with that on. It seems to add some girth that is missing without it and shifts the focus more towards low mids rather than high mids (more similar to what I'm used to from Fractal Quantum)

Absolutely! It's the best Swiss Army knife there is for guitar.
No matter what your preferred ecosystem is, as a device, the Stomp *is* a King.

You may prefer the tones of Fractal, Kemper, Boss, NDSP, or any other modeller, but most people, if they are honest and even if they don't like the Helix, can't deny that the HX Stomp is a fantastic little bit of kit.

At the moment the HX Stomp XL is all I have. I don't know if it's just because I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I've been spending a lot of time dialing it in and I'm actually finding I'm digging the sounds I'm getting out of its amps! Way more than ever before.

These are the tweaks that I think seem to be making a big difference for me:
  • Input impedance 70k Ohm
  • Gr Pad on
  • Red Squeeze: Sense ~ 4 | Mix ~ 30-40%
  • Amp Sag ~ 7-8
  • Post amp EQ: 150Hz +10db | 6KHz + 3db
Give or take depending on the guitar and amp. I've been using the Divided Duo a lot, it's probably my favorite amp in there ATM.

I'd been planning to pick up either a tube amp, a powered Kemper, or an AxeFX III for my next run of shows, but I keep dragging my feet because I'm enjoying the HX Stomp so much I don't know if I need something else. I might just use it.
Are you on the dope, son? Are you?

;)

For Me authentic sounds are what I hear on the recorded album, as i never owned any amps, but i can say this what ever song that I've wanted to cover so far I've been able to find a way to make it work in my Helix
IE: I'm able to pretty much nail early Iommi tone using a low drive Rev Purple with a slight compression in front along with a deranged master and retro reel, just works perfect for me

1663930120235.png

Interesting that you like the input impedance so low! I will have to try that again. I know for a while I was forcing it to 1M. Now I'm forcing to 1M but using the Iridium for amp modeling. I know that has some kind of JFET preamp buffer.

Stomp XL for the I don’t own it but I need to own it win. If it does nothing else but cover the Line 6 legacy green and gold stomps (particularly the Auto Volume echo) then it’s worth it. Obviously it does way more.

That said, nothing OP has written precludes how great those /13 tones would be—and the freeing experience and simple mindset, all of that.

In true guitar forum tradition, the solution may be … both™.

Just thinking that the fact that I’m having these conversations about post EQ is probably a good sign that I should stick to digital instead of going tube amp.

I almost pulled the trigger on a /13 jrt 9/15 yesterday but I started worrying about not having enough ability to shape the EQ on the amp
I feel like I'm pretty damn picky and I like to think I have a discerning ear, but IMO for 99% of guys out there, the proof is in your IRs.

Here's a quick real-world example of what I'm talking about. This guy puts all of the Synergy modules up against each other in a high gain context, all with the same IR and signal chain.

Not terribly different from each other, are they? Yet that's Soldano, Friedman, Bogner, Synergy's version of a IIC+, etc. preamps. I can tell you from owning them, they all sound different enough in the room, but recorded or direct to tape through IRs, it's more the IR than the modeler, preamp, or whatever. IMO of course and YMMV. Chances are you can get your HX to sound like just about whatever amp or player you want it to. The real difference is in the IRs.

While IRs are important I disagree with your statement, @Desertdweller.

There's much more in an amp model other than the overall tone. They way an amp reacts, the texture of the distortion, the tightness or flubbyness and so on.

I have several presets based on that same template but with different amps, they all use same IR or are played through the same real cab and thay clearly sound different and, most of all, feel ( :idk ) different in a lot of ways.

IR/cab have a big impact but don't make things equal.

Last edited:
Not terribly different from each other, are they?
Right, high gain preamps are not that different, having almost the same topology and tonestacks.
In a modeler it is even easier to make preamps sound identical with some pre and post eq.
Also notice he uses the same poweramp+cab+mic chain for all preamps.

The poweramp changes the response a lot according to output topology (A, AB), cab impedance, amount of negative feedback, Presence/Resonance component values, etc.
That's why real amps and full amp models can differ much more than the high gain preamp models.

The real difference is in the IRs.
For recorded tone, absolutely.
An even clearer example is to put a Master of Puppets tone matched IR on any high gain model from any modeler/plugin or even a goddamn Metal Zone and you sound like Master of Puppets with minimal difference between them.
So I definitely agree that cabs/speakers+mics or IRs have by far the most influence on the final tone than anything else.

Last edited:
No matter what your preferred ecosystem is, as a device, the Stomp *is* a King.

You may prefer the tones of Fractal, Kemper, Boss, NDSP, or any other modeller, but most people, if they are honest and even if they don't like the Helix, can't deny that the HX Stomp is a fantastic little bit of kit.
It really is. I go back and forth but that form factor : functionality is :chef

There's much more in an amp model other than the overall tone. They way an amp reacts, the texture of the distortion, the tightness or flubbyness and so on.
IR/cab have a big impact but don't make things equal.
Feel free to disagree,
run a high gain amp model through any of the IRs. Tell me it doesn't sound nearly 1:1 like Metallica.

Everyone's right in this case.

The amps are very different form one another otherwise there would be no point in modeling more amps.
This difference becomes smaller as the the amps get into to high gain territory which is essentially pink noise where the IR filtering is far more audible.
The opposite is also somewhat true, with cleans and edge of breakup amps the IR barely matters and the unique character of the guitar+amp shines through more.
In my opinion of course.

The amps are very different form one another otherwise there would be no point in modeling more amps.
This difference becomes smaller as the the amps get into to high gain territory which is essentially pink noise where the IR filtering is far more audible.
The opposite is also somewhat true, with cleans and edge of breakup amps the IR barely matters and the unique character of the guitar+amp shines through more.
In my opinion of course.

Exactly this.
I don't play clean or edge of brake up but I'm not into high gain amps either.

In my helix I have presets with the 2203, the 2 Plexi models, park 75, be100, slo crunch ch, ventoux, /13 and diezel.

As I've said I play them through the same real 2x12 and, for when I need headphones or "FRFR", they have the same IR.

There's no way they sound the same.
Even the 2 Plexi (Brit and trem) and the park 75 that supposedly have very close circuits are very different.

@Desertdweller Is not that I don't believe you but the importance of IRs is not the same everytime.
Sometimes is less important than the amp choice.

Last edited:

In my opinion of course.
Exactly. Comparing high-gain Preamps isn't the same as throwing vintage NMV amps into the mix. An AC30 sim with a Metallica tone matching IR won't cut the mustard.

Back