The Unofficial Gallery of Boogies

My other consideration is open-backedness (is that a word?) of a cab for those
bona fide vintage Fender tones the Fillmore can give up. I don't know if the
tractor beam like focus of a closed back cab with V30s is really what that amp
calls for. :idk

I am also a big supporter of spending more money on another thing before you
even get the first thing. I think it is in the Rules of the Forum if you look closely. :crazy

My Mesa triple rectifier was my first tube amp acquired in 2001! Every local hardcore band played through a dual/triple rec at the time, and we all sort of bagged on the 5150s for being shredding amps. Now I have my own 5150 III, but the rectifier will always be the OG!

IMG_4963.jpeg
IMG_3421.jpeg

My Mesa triple rectifier was my first tube amp acquired in 2001! Every local hardcore band played through a dual/triple rec at the time, and we all sort of bagged on the 5150s for being shredding amps. Now I have my own 5150 III, but the rectifier will always be the OG!

View attachment 12513View attachment 12514

You could curl up with your slippers and a book at the back of that Triple Rec, cozy by the warm tube glow…

fire place GIF

I think it makes sense to try it first with the cabs he has though. Maybe he’s like me. But maybe he’s like you and digs the 4x10. Personally, I loathe Jensen speakers, but it’s all opinion.

For sure, I'll be trying it first with my Recto 2x12 at home, and then the Trad 4x12 at the band space.

I'll mainly be going for classic rock crunch + pushed cleans anyway, so the V30s might work out okay.

And I actually have two of the 2x12s, one that has the old-school Boogie logo, so it should look good with that one, as it doesn't really jive with the more modern Mesa Engineering logo, in my opinion.

If I keep this head, I'll definitely be looking into either the new 4x10 or 2x10 with Creambacks, too. (You can order the 4x10 with casters, apparently.)

Congrats on the new amp..... :beer

..... and the inevitable new cab. :LOL:

I'll be curious how that Fillmore gain pairs with V30s to you. That amp is nowhere near
as warm as your ED, so it could be uhmmmm.... interesting. :idk

Congrats on the new amp..... :beer

..... and the inevitable new cab. :LOL:

I'll be curious how that Fillmore gain pairs with V30s to you. That amp is nowhere near
as warm as your ED, so it could be uhmmmm.... interesting. :idk

Well, there's always the Mid/Treble/Presence controls...

Or, it's an excuse to grab this beauty :love:

0.B410.AB.G10-front-2000x2000.png

0.B410.AB.G10-back.png

1000000749.png

Found the weight on the Mesa/Boogie web site. At 40 pounds, the casters aren't absolutely necessary, but still an awkward carry without side handles.

Bet it sounds :chef though.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :beer

Found the weight on the Mesa/Boogie web site. At 40 pounds, the casters aren't absolutely necessary, but still an awkward carry without side handles.

Bet it sounds :chef though.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :beer

Yes, I did check that out, thanks! 40 lbs is do-able without casters, for sure, but also kind of defeats one my reasons for interest in the Fillmore, which admittedly is because it's 8 lbs lighter than my 44 lb Electra Dyne head, haha... :grin

Well, there's always the Mid/Treble/Presence controls...

Or, it's an excuse to grab this beauty :love:

0.B410.AB.G10-front-2000x2000.png

0.B410.AB.G10-back.png

Get it! Ge it now! :LOL:

I am firm believer that a proper cab/speaker is essential too get the most
out of an amp. V30s in a closed back config are good for something things
and way off the mark for other things. V30s are just a massive filter and
impact an amp in ways EQ just can't compensate for. :idk

It IS in the rules of the forum, however I seem to recall someone giving me shit for ordering EMG’s before I even got my Edwards in!!!!!!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Hey now, Staff Member, you should know the Rules better than I do. :hmm

"Giving each other shit" is also in the Rules of the Forum, too, right? :idk

:LOL:

Yes, I did check that out, thanks! 40 lbs is do-able without casters, for sure, but also kind of defeats one my reasons for interest in the Fillmore, which admittedly is because it's 8 lbs lighter than my 44 lb Electra Dyne head, haha... :grin

Let me help, TS. I bet the 4 x 10 at 40lbs is lighter than a Recto 2 x 12 by more than a couple of lbs.
In other words, by a LOT of lbs.

People might assume that 4 speakers are heavier than 2 (even if they are a different size). But nope.
The 4 x 10 is a full on 22lbs lighter than a Recto 2 x 12.

You're welcome. :beer

Get that 4 x 10 and your load in a full 30lbs lighter going in, and going out at the end of the night.

View attachment 12513View attachment 12514
I fired mine up Friday night, and it's freaking glorious!
And it's not all about high-gain either. I get great classic rock tones too.
It's just not stereo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me help, TS. I bet the 4 x 10 at 40lbs is lighter than a Recto 2 x 12 by more than a couple of lbs.
In other words, by a LOT of lbs.

People might assume that 4 speakers are heavier than 2 (even if they are a different size). But nope.
The 4 x 10 is a full on 22lbs lighter than a Recto 2 x 12.

You're welcome. :beer

Get that 4 x 10 and your load in a full 30lbs lighter going in, and going out at the end of the night.

Yes, I handled all that advanced-math-for-musicians already, thank you. :grin

Numbers Calculating GIF by netflixlat

But the big difference is the Recto 2x12 already has casters, whereas the 4x10 would need to be special ordered and could take forever. It doesn't come with them.

I had a 50 lb LS 2x12 with no casters, for example, and it was way more of a pain move around than the Recto. I actually don't mine moving around the Recto at all, and it makes a great dolly/handcart.

Casters are essential for 40Lbs?

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

:rofl

Does Mesa still use those Quik-Lok/Trak-Lok casters that you know of?

No, not essential, but if making comparisons to the 60 lb Recto, casters are a factor to consider.

Anyway, I don’t wanna clog up this thread, I’ll start my own Fillmore 100 thread when it gets here! :beer

Back