The ultimate bedroom guitar rig?

That cannot be even close to right.

E4KBoRHWUAQFl5z.jpg
I did say I might need to extend the base a little to keep it from being tippy? probably should have been ' instead of "

...gain and level on a different page in HX Stomp with it's 3-knobs. As not-a-big-deal as that is sometimes, others it just makes me wanna toss that little brick straight through a window.
This is the kind of thing that use to make me crazy with Roland's products - closely related parameters located 4 pages/clicks away from one another. As careful as the Helix guys were to make the HX Floor UI/UX streamlined and intuitive, I was surprised at how many of these mistakes crept up when they reduced the control count for the Stomp. Little things like parameters not being grouped sensibly, or the most commonly used functions (Reverb Mix, Global Settings, Clear Block, etc.) under a given group not being on the first page, etc. First world problems, but it's death by 1000 cuts some nights.

It will be an unpopular opinion, but that's never stopped me before: I don't see why you wouldn't consider a QC. It's perfect for the application you're describing.

Last edited:
This is the kind of thing that use to make me crazy with Roland's products - closely related parameters located 4 pages/clicks away from one another. As careful as the Helix guys were to make the HX Floor UI/UX streamlined and intuitive, I was surprised at how many of these mistakes crept up when the reduced the control count for the Stomp. Little things like parameters not being grouped sensibly, or the most commonly used functions (Global Settings, Clear Block, etc.) under a given group not being on the first page, etc. First world problems, but it's death by 1000 cuts some nights.

It will be an unpopular opinion, but that's never stopped me before: I don't see why you wouldn't consider a QC. It's perfect for the application you're describing.
Hmmm, yeah, maybe. I mean, I come at the QC with loads of baggage, but haven't read a legit thread about its current state in...ages. The Helix makes sense in part because I use it a fair amount in Native form and know it well -- and have some basic setups that I'd like to implement right out of the box with the FM3.

Hmmm, yeah, maybe. I mean, I come at the QC with loads of baggage, but haven't read a legit thread about its current state in...ages. The Helix makes sense in part because I use it a fair amount in Native form and know it well -- and have some basic setups that I'd like to implement right out of the box with the FM3.
If you love HX and you've already developed a lot of "content" there, then yeah, that's compelling. I see you've already got a Helix Rack on the way, which will be perfect along with the Helix Control. Personally, I like the sound of the QC a bit better. And the form-factor lands it in a spot where it's nearly as unobtrusive on a desk as the HX Stomp, but the UI is actually easier (IMO) than the HX Floor's. You're still left to solve the foot controller on your own, though, and that can get costly, too.

They're both great options IMO.

If you love HX and you've already developed a lot of "content" there, then yeah, that's compelling. I see you've already got a Helix Rack on the way, which will be perfect along with the Helix Control. Personally, I like the sound of the QC a bit better. And the form-factor lands it in a spot where it's nearly as unobtrusive on a desk as the HX Stomp, but the UI is actually easier (IMO) than the HX Floor's. You're still left to solve the foot controller on your own, though, and that can get costly, too.

They're both great options IMO.
"love" is a strong word when it comes to me and the Helix family...

Its strongest suit is the collection of fuzz/dirt pedals, and my primary use for it will be as "an audio interface and a digital dirt board in front of the FM3 amp/cab". As much as I try to get to a "close enough" point with HX amps against the FM3...I just can't.

Foot control isn't really a big deal. I've got an FC6, and already have the FM3/FC6 configured to foot control the things that actually need to be foot controlled in the bedroom (looper type stuff) -- pretty much everything else I'm okay with switching off/on with my hands, and so for that the QC would be fine.

"love" is a strong word when it comes to me and the Helix family...

Its strongest suit is the collection of fuzz/dirt pedals, and my primary use for it will be as "an audio interface and a digital dirt board in front of the FM3 amp/cab". As much as I try to get to a "close enough" point with HX amps against the FM3...I just can't.

Foot control isn't really a big deal. I've got an FC6, and already have the FM3/FC6 configured to foot control the things that actually need to be foot controlled in the bedroom (looper type stuff) -- pretty much everything else I'm okay with switching off/on with my hands, and so for that the QC would be fine.
We're on the same page re: HX, then. I love the UI, and I love the guys who support the product, and I love the effects. I really struggle to get into the zone with the amps/cabs, and I have from the beginning.

The QC is pretty limited in terms of fuzz. Only two models thus far, and as far as I've been able to surmise, the captures don't really do fuzz justice. (But then I'm not really a big fuzz aficionado.) As for any other sort of dirt pedal you could wish for, between models and captures, it's an embarrassment of riches. I'd always wished Kemper would let me mix and match multiple profiles so I could play with various dirt pedals into various amps, and the QC delivers in spades here.

Agreed, FC6 would be fine with QC. And once you're there, editing on-unit on a desk (or nightstand, as it were) is a breeze (IMO).

Last edited:
We're on the same page re: HX, then. I love the UI, and I love the guys who support the product, and I love the effects. I really struggle to get into the zone with the amps/cabs, and I have from the beginning.

The QC is pretty limited in terms of fuzz. Only two models thus far, and as far as I've been able to surmise, the captures don't really do fuzz justice. As for any other sort of dirt pedal you could wish for, between models and captures, it's an embarrassment of riches. I'd always wished Kemper would let me mix and match multiple profiles so I could play with various dirt pedals into various amps, and the QC delivers in spades here.

Agreed, FC6 would be fine with QC. And once you're there, editing on-unit on a desk (or nightstand, as it were) is a breeze (IMO).
Also, you know you're talking to watt, right?

Rack arrived today. I've gotten as far as simply putting the FM3 into loop 1 on the Rack. Good news is it works great, and it appears I get internal clipping in the Helix before I get clipping on the input of the FM3, so I'm not limited in how I can use the various OD/fuzz options within the Helix to boost amp models in the FM3. So far no noise problems.

Patch on the Rack is just Input -> OD block -> Loop 1 block with send/return set to 0.0db and mix at 100% -> 1/4" output.

Physical patch cables go guitar -> HX guitar in; HX loop 1 out to FM3 Input 2 left; FM3 Output 2 left to HX return 1; FM3 output 2 knob turned to max. I/O global settings of FM3 has input 2 mode set to Left Only; input pad set to 18dB; Output 2 type set to Unity Gain, mode set to Stereo, Boos/Pad set to 0dB, phase set to Normal and Output 2 copy set to none. Big Volume knob on the Helix is my actual "how loud is it in the room" volume control.

I tested the clipping by using the treble booster in the Helix with gain and level both set to max which, with my SG just starts to send the next block in the HX into red at times. Yet this is still just getting up into orange on the Input 2 LED on the FM3.

Also, you know you're talking to watt, right?
Oh man I just love this forum… all the ones from
Tgp that I like is coming here..

Personally for me and my use Stomp will always be the perfect bedroom/homeplayer rig that has the ability to be alone or expand within the content and size forms I prefer. I like to hang in to a notion or sense that I can take it into a rehearsal or whatever, and manage. I would manage. But I’m just a homeplayer. Really tempted to just go rack and controller, but it will always be overkill and restricted to one room then, and my whole centerpiece of anything is just MacBook + Stomp + guitar.

There is no perfect then… there is only preference and what one need to get the job done :)

Oh man I just love this forum… all the ones from
Tgp that I like is coming here..

Personally for me and my use Stomp will always be the perfect bedroom/homeplayer rig that has the ability to be alone or expand within the content and size forms I prefer. I like to hang in to a notion or sense that I can take it into a rehearsal or whatever, and manage. I would manage. But I’m just a homeplayer. Really tempted to just go rack and controller, but it will always be overkill and restricted to one room then, and my whole centerpiece of anything is just MacBook + Stomp + guitar.

There is no perfect then… there is only preference and what one need to get the job done :)
If you want a rig that easily bounce around the house with you, yeah, there's nothing better than a Stomp.

For this rig, if I do need/want to take it outta the house, I've got plenty of patches on the FM3 that work fine standalone, so I'd just pull it out and use it alone.

Back